S3 suddenly running slow

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by kinger, Sep 1, 2012.

1. kinger

kinger New Member

Ok, out of nowhere today whenever I open an app I get a significant delay before it opens. And the phone acts as if locked up. I also just got a touch wiz force close error. I have rebooted multiple times and did a battery pull. Any advice or anyone else experience this?
    Thanks for your help in advance
  2. k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t Well-Known Member

Are you rooted or anything? Started using any unusual or cpu-intense apps lately? Sounds like there's something in the background using a lot the phones cpu power, or a bad memory stick. If nothing, might have to try a factory data reset.
  3. kinger

kinger New Member

Not rooted, and i'll try removing sd card, but doubt that is it. Haven't loaded anything new recently.
  4. k1ngr4t

A factory data reset actually doesn't touch the SD card unless you tell it to (I always take mine out anyways....just in case :p ). It's basically like formatting a hard drive on a computer, clearing EVERYTHING out, which resets the phone. Thankfully today there's plenty of easy ways to back up settings/screens so you can quickly restore after. If you call Verizon this will be one of the first things they'll ask you to try.
  5. Mike.757

Mike.757 Well-Known Member

I have a Bionic and the same thing happened to me. I cleared the cache and fc'd anything that wasn't tied down. Seems to be doing much better. :)
  6. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

If you haven't rebooted in a while, try that. Otherwise, try powering the phone down, then hold the power + home key + volume up all at the same time. Let go after "samsung" appears. This gets you into stock recovery. Use the volume key to navigate down to "wipe cache" and the power button for yes. Then reboot the phone. I would try this before a factory reset.

Sent from my SCH-I535
  7. kinger

kinger New Member

Well factory reset temporarily fixed it. Then the issue started again. Did the cache wipe from boot menu. Didn't fix the problem. But right now it is working perfectly fine without doing anything.
  8. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

Sounds like the issue may be a rogue app that was recently installed.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
  9. kinger

kinger New Member

Been working great for the last 24 hours and now, slow all over again. This sucks. I go from a wonderful smooth phone to a slow piece of sh&t. I am going through one app at a time deleting rebooting then reinstall if no change. Long process.
  10. k1ngr4t

Weird, sounds like somethings wrong with the phone then. Bad CPU or something triggered by some app. How's the battery life?
  11. kinger

kinger New Member

Battery Life has been wonderful. Except for being on all the time rebooting and searching through apps and settings.
  12. k1ngr4t

Well if a FDR or clearing the cache didn't work, as well as no obvious apps or settings pulling the phone down, and with decent battery life, to me it sounds like a hardware problem. A bad RAM stick or CPU maybe.
  13. cr6

cr6 DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Im thinking a rouge app as well. Try deleting them one by one by order of last download. Go a day between deleting them and see if that clears it up.
    Other than that, i dont know. Could be a hardware issue.

tap'n
  14. JeffDinTexas

JeffDinTexas New Member

You should look at all the apps you have installed on your phone. Many games or 3rd party predictive text keyboards (which access your facebook, gmail, and twitter accounts) are pulling data as you use them and remain as open tasks on your phone's system (only to keep portions of your data access and device resources tied up). If you've opened a few third party apps and exited them you may have several processes still open and eating up the phone's resources and slowing down transfer of data.

on the Galaxy S 3 you can open your task manager by pressing and holding the home button, it opens with a list of applications still running. You can close all open apps by pressing the trashcan icon.

if you select the pie chart icon, you will see the portion of available system memory (RAM) that is presently being used. You can clear this by selecting "Clear Memory".

These are things you will have to do routinely to maintain availability of your phones resources so that it runs at a reasonable speed.

Also, keep in mind that simple apps like third party keyboards can be sucking the phone's system resources with features that access your facebook, gmail, and twitter accounts to gather word usage patterns to feed into a predictive text that is tailored to you.

and there is a routine check for app updates that runs, so if you keep a larger number of apps installed on your phone, the more data required to transfer in this update check.

Very soon, we will be seeing Samsung release the first quad core processor system, and I am sure there will be greater advances in phone processing power, until then, we have to manage the system resource utilization to keep it running efficiently.
  15. neckbreak

neckbreak New Member

I had an issue a couple weeks ago where it was running slow. Youtube wouldn't play mute than a few seconds of a video.when texting the keyboard would take about 10 seconds to pop up. Random things going slow. I deleted a couple apps and cleared some caches and did a battery pull and it has been working fine since. Think it was just one of the apps.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
  16. Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69 Well-Known Member

Thank you sir,you took me too school today,Ill have an apple tomorrow.:D
Search tags for this page

galaxy s3 running slow

galaxy s3 slowing down
galaxy s3 suddenly slow
my galaxy s3 is running slow
my samsung galaxy s3 is slowing down
my samsung s3 is slowing down
s3 going slow