S3 not working

tonylumps

Reaction score
Got up this morning, unpluged charger, Turned Phone on it was was fine . Never looked at the Phone again until about 5 Hrs. later to show a friend the S3. Well it was shutdown. So I booted back up screen came on but Swipe was not working. So could not get into phone. Battery drained from full to 38% in 1 Hr. Tried to shut it off would not, had to remove battery.The S3 is stock Any Ideas would be appreciated. I am going up to Verizon tomarrow Just thought maybe someone else had this problem

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
What was the problem? What did you do to get it working...in case someone else has the same problem, your experience may help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
T

tonylumps

Reaction score
I charged the Battery to 100% Turned phone on, it booted up but still had frozen screen. Had to pull battery to shut down I was ready to give up When I thought I read somewhere to hold Volume and off on at same time while phone was booting. So I tried it. It booted screen went dark for a split second and phone is working now.

Last edited:

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Did you recently get the new update? Doing a battery pull after that is not a bad idea.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
tonylumps said:
I carged the Batteryto 100% Turned phone on, it booted up but still had frozen screen. Had to pull battery to shut down I was ready to give up When I thought I resd somewhere to hold Volume and off on at same time while phone was booting. So I tried it. It booted screen went dark for a split second and phone is working now.

Thanks. Always great to hear successes. When your phone gets to low battery (10-15%), turn off and charge to 100% again. This will calibrate your battery meter to make sure it is reading your state of charge more accurately.

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me a few days ago. Managed to get phone into safe mode and do a factory reset after about 20 unsuccessful battery pulls. I downloaded the new ota right after factory reset and now so far so good.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Always great to hear successes. When your phone gets to low battery (10-15%), turn off and charge to 100% again. This will calibrate your battery meter to make sure it is reading your state of charge more accurately.

Is it ok to drain your batt all the way down until phone shuts off itself,then charge phone back to 100%?

disappearingbag

Reaction score
Is it ok to drain your batt all the way down until phone shuts off itself,then charge phone back to 100%?

I was having a problem when I let my battery drain until it shut the phone off. When I charged it up after it would freeze, and I ended up having to do a factory reset. Haven't heard of this happening to anyone else though.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
There are some phones that have survived this repeatedly with no problems but the Razr has been known to deep discharge and not be able to take a charge. Given that, the best recommendation is to not let the battery die.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are some phones that have survived this repeatedly with no problems but the Razr has been known to deep discharge and not be able to take a charge. Given that, the best recommendation is to not let the battery die.

Thxz for the wisdom.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Crankintopwater69 said:
Thxz for the wisdom.

Lol, not so much wisdom but glad I didn't learn that the hard way. I use to always let my phones drain dead before charging. But after hearing a few stories about battery draining so dead it wouldn't charge, I don't do that anymore.

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I usually only let it get to 15,maybe 10% at the lowest. I also used to carry a spare battery when I had my thunderbolt. It seems though that these days the s3 can make it more than long enough. I've been unplugged 15 or so hours and I'm still at 40%. That includes the update that installed and more bright screen time than is typical.

OP
T

tonylumps

Reaction score
Well it happened again. Took it up to Verizon. They had to do a Hard reset. They think it was an app. Working fine now Let's see what happens.