S-voice question

mghokie7

Reaction score
When the S3 gets jelly bean, will s-voice still be the default voice app or should there be on option to use the new google now software?

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I dont know about Jelly Bean, but I dont use S-Voice now. I use the google voice search. It is alot faster, and never it has to ask if i want to search the web when S-Voice doesn't understand my command.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
No one here knows for sure at this point. All anyone can do is speculate.

Given the time spent in development as well as the advertising behind it, I don't think S Voice is going anywhere. That said, S Voice can currently be disabled in ICS, so as long as that option remains in Jelly Bean, there shouldn't be a problem making Google Now the default (although mapping it to the double tap of the home button might require some additional work).

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about this myself. Google Now is so much better than S-Voice (based on my own experience anyway). SV could be improved obviously, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I just realized that "google now" is an actual thing, my bust. So this is different than Google voice search i suppose? what makes it better, and how are you able to use google now? Is it even available?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I just realized that "google now" is an actual thing, my bust. So this is different than Google voice search i suppose? what makes it better, and how are you able to use google now? Is it even available?

It's a completely revamped form of Google voice search that's more along the lines of Siri on the iPhone (although, in every test I've seen, it blows Siri away with its accuracy and response time). It's only available on Jelly Bean (although some have been able to install it on other devices over at XDA). Do a search on YouTube, and you'll find a ton of videos showing off its capabilities. It's very impressive.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I see. So basically it's Google voice that will now talk back to you. I always thought Siri was a gimmick anyways, Fun at parties, but i miss the real value. I will be excited to give this a try, as I can't stand S-Voice. I am constantly waiting on it to figure out what i said, and then it decides to search the web. Maybe i'm using it wrong, but I've been searching by voice with android for near four years now, and i cant get the hang of S-voice. I don't need my phone to talk to me, just find the right answer fast.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see. So basically it's Google voice that will now talk back to you. I always thought Siri was a gimmick anyways, Fun at parties, but i miss the real value. I will be excited to give this a try, as I can't stand S-Voice. I am constantly waiting on it to figure out what i said, and then it decides to search the web. Maybe i'm using it wrong, but I've been searching by voice with android for near four years now, and i cant get the hang of S-voice. I don't need my phone to talk to me, just find the right answer fast.

That's been my experience as well. I think it needs a perfectly quiet room, because it seems to wait forever for you to 'stop' talking if there is any background noise at all. It was a very unintuitive experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Yeah, there are a lot of gimmicky qualities to it, but the biggest benefit is the improvements to the quality voice recognition. The standard voice recognition on most Android phones works pretty well, but you often have to use exact commands, and it can have issues with way different people speak (dictating texts and emails can be frustrating at times). Siri handles natural speech and statements much easier, particularly when composing a text or email. Google Now appears to handle voice recognition better than Siri, so that's the thing I'm most excited about. I don't need my phone to talk back to me, but it will be nice to have it understand me better when I'm in a situation where I can't easily use my hands (like when driving) or want something done quickly (like setting an alarm or reminder).

mkstn

Reaction score
Ditto on the Google Voice.... I gave up on S-Voice because it only understands about half the time if that. LAMO for samsung to release such a poor product.

johnd09

Reaction score
I would have thought Samsung would have at least slapped a beta tag on S-voice given how terrible it is, but I doubt they will make Google Now the default voice app after launching their own "personal assistant".

mkstn

Reaction score
They could license Google and still call it S-voice. No one would know and who cares if they do. The voice / text on email and messages is excellent on the S3

kparks

Reaction score
S voice is the most worthless thing I've ever tried to use.. what a waste of space!

megan.leht

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
No one here knows for sure at this point. All anyone can do is speculate.

Given the time spent in development as well as the advertising behind it, I don't think S Voice is going anywhere. That said, S Voice can currently be disabled in ICS, so as long as that option remains in Jelly Bean, there shouldn't be a problem making Google Now the default (although mapping it to the double tap of the home button might require some additional work).

You wouldn't happen to know anything about remappjng what the double tap goes to would you? : D

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You wouldn't happen to know anything about remappjng what the double tap goes to would you? : D

I haven't seen anything about it, and I haven't found a setting for it on the phone. It's definitely something that would come in handy.