S Pen Weirdness

Reaction score
I noticed something that happens quite often but not always...wanted to see if anyone else noticed this. When I have the S Pen about a centimeter away from the screen, right where the screen starts to detect the s pen, it will act as if I've pushed it on the screen, either hitting a button or whatever is below it. Here is a perfect example:

In S Note, I was writing a note, and I noticed that as I hovered over the screen little dots will start forming. It was as if I was touching the screen with the pen. Here is what it looks like: View attachment 58792

Weird, right??

jseah

Reaction score
Is that the Air View? With Air View on, the phone will detect the pen when you hover it above the screen, but not touching it.

OP
blazingdisciple
Reaction score
It is with airview on. I read on androidforums that other people are having this issue. One possible solution was to just smack the pen against something 10-15 times. I did that and it seems to have fixed it. Weird.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Here's two examples that show you how this can work to your advantage. It's designed to "mimic" the desktop mouse, where you can place the mouse pointer on an item on the screen, but don't click the mouse, and the screen will detect the mouse position and cause menu options to appear, previews of later frames in a movie, or any number of other "non-commit" type selections.

[video=youtube;vB7ydrYmOmc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB7ydrYmOmc[/video]

[video=youtube;HNIzD8BLMP4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNIzD8BLMP4[/video]

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It is with airview on. I read on androidforums that other people are having this issue. One possible solution was to just smack the pen against something 10-15 times. I did that and it seems to have fixed it. Weird.

Personally, I wouldn't advise following ANY recommendation of "smacking the pen against something", as you may damage the pen irreparably. What seems to have "fixed it", may in fact have partially damaged it making it less sensitive IMHO, YRMV.

OP
blazingdisciple
Reaction score
Smacking it really seemed to help. There have been several people on other forums posting about this issue and a lot of people report it being fixed after smacking it. The pen does seem a little less sensitive, but I would have told you before that I thought it was a little too sensitive. I believe smacking it a bit helps loosen up the transducer in there...this lowers the sensitivity just a bit. You can actually adjust it directly by taking the button off and adjusting the little screw under there.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
A new spen is around 70 dollars so I definitely wouldn't recommend smacking it.

sent from my vzw galaxy note 2

jseah

Reaction score
A new spen is around 70 dollars so I definitely wouldn't recommend smacking it.

sent from my vzw galaxy note 2

Actually, if you go to the Samsung website, they sell the original S-Pen for the Note II for $30. They also have a different S-Pen with an "eraser" on the other end (and the pen looks a bit thicker) for $40.