S-off

acejavelin

Reaction score
Has anyone S-OFF'd their Rezound on the latest ROM, does the "wire trick" still work on the current OTA firmware and bootloader?

Bpowder33

Reaction score
just browsing some threads it looks like the preferred thing to do is RUU back to the last official ISC release, the one prior to the global leak, and then do the wire trick... I still cant find a reason to s-off, I mean it only takes one minute to flash the boot.img manually... other than avoiding this minor inconvenience what other reasons are there?

Last edited:
OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
Eh, just the convenience of it... I figure if I am going to go through the trouble of rooting again, might as well go all the way. :)

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
What rom you running these days ace?
Infected Rezound currently, using the baked in kernel, started with 2.8.1 and then just flashed in 2.9.1 this last weekend and been running rock solid and smooth as butter on both versions... One reboot in the last 4 days, and all services working including native tethering, bluetooth audio, etc., pretty much everything except HDMI video out is working now in CM based ROMs.

I have been hearing a lot about Beanstock and Liquid Smooth lately though, once they get the last few bugs worked out of Beanstock I am probably going to give that a shot next.

How about you?

Last edited:

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Infected Rezound currently, using the baked in kernel, started with 2.8.1 and then just flashed in 2.9.1 this last weekend and been running rock solid and smooth as butter on both versions... One reboot in the last 4 days, all services working including native tethering, bluetooth audio, etc., pretty much everything except HDMI video out is working now in CM based ROMs.

I have been hearing a lot about Beanstock and Liquid Smooth lately though, once they get the last few bugs worked out of Beanstock I am probably going to give that a shot next.

How about you?

Just stock 10.1.2 for the moment. It's been really solid for me. Want to try infection bad but with talks of ion builds around the corner I'm being hesitant.

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
Yeah... I see FlyHalf, Neo and some of the other developers tossing tidbits out about Ion lately, but by the sounds of it there is still a ways to go before it's "daily driver" ready. Infection is really solid, especially the newest version, but there seems like so much development in the Rezound ROMs lately I don't know what to try next. :)

I mean really, Infected Rezound, TRON, MIUI, CyanogenMod, Beanstock, Liquid Smooth, Gotham, XenonHD, PC-Man, VanillaROM, Linaro, AOKP... Arrgghhh, I mean those are just the "latest" 4.2.2 based Jelly Bean ROMs, not to mention all the older ones PLUS I am sure now that Google has started releasing the 4.3 source code, those ROMs will be coming soon as well!

I am up for a new phone, have been since April, but with all the fun I am having with this it is tough to pick something else right now... Now if the HTC One does finally come to Verizon, well, then all bets are off! :icon_ lala:

Bpowder33

Reaction score
The dev community is awesome for sure! Got no reason to upgrade phones at this point. I see an official liquid smooth was released, that was the last rom my d1 ran before the battery died and was so sweet. Gonna give that a try next. Let me know if you try it out...

Bpowder33

Reaction score
So ace, will you be getting the HTC One now? Any clue what the stance will be with HTC dev on unlocking the bootloader?

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
So ace, will you be getting the HTC One now? Any clue what the stance will be with HTC dev on unlocking the bootloader?
Honestly, not likely to get one... My contract expired on my personal Rez a week or two ago so I quickly retired it, ported my number to Google Voice, and grabbed an unlocked GSM phone and Net10 AT&T Prepaid SIM. Right now I am using an HTC Aria (OMG, what a shock going back to that was) but have a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket coming and it should be here next week, saving $50/month. I still have my work Rezound until mid-summer next year, so I will probably be unlocking it and loading Liquid Smooth or Infection on it soon and then just sell my personal Rez, it is in mint condition, unlocked, two batteries, Seidio case, etc. and hope to get $150 or so out of it.

Unless something drastically changes, I probably won't be going back to Big Red anytime soon... the cost is just too high and I don't really need it, saving $50/month to drop to 3G speeds on AT&T's network is acceptable and 3G/HSPA+ speeds on AT&T are easily 10 times better than VZW's 3G, and 4G I can live without for now. From what I have seen over the last week or so, their coverage is better for data than VZW in the areas that I go (a lot of rural areas some times).

Newer HTC phones haven't been able to be unlocked by HTCdev, not sure about the One... To be honest I doubt it but the phone is so popular that I am sure someone will find an exploit to root and ROM.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Fortunately I'm still on an old grandfathered Alltel plan with Verizon plus a discount through work. Pretty much two unlimited phones for 62$ a month each. Hard to switch from that.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the dev community once the One is released and see what happens. You know when Koush has one it's gonna be sweet!

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
Fortunately I'm still on an old grandfathered Alltel plan with Verizon plus a discount through work. Pretty much two unlimited phones for 62$ a month each. Hard to switch from that.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the dev community once the One is released and see what happens. You know when Koush has one it's gonna be sweet!
Dang... If I was paying that I would have stayed with Verizon for a long time, and just bought phones outright, but unfortunately that is not the case and I lost unlimited data some time ago by just not knowing any better. Live and learn I guess... But when my son and I are paying $191 (with a corporate partner discount) for two 4G phones with 4GB data each, and we make less than 100 minutes of calls per month, and he makes less than 50 texts per month, it just doesn't make sense to keep them. Once he is up with his contract probably going to do the same with his phone.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Ace, asking you to pull out your crystal ball here, but do you think there will an ruu released for the latest official global firmware? I want to try 4.3 but am stuck on global leak radios and hboot. I know there are ways to update them even being s_on but am very hesitant for the simple fact that if something goes wrong then I'm screwed!

OP
acejavelin

acejavelin

Reaction score
Ace, asking you to pull out your crystal ball here, but do you think there will an ruu released for the latest official global firmware? I want to try 4.3 but am stuck on global leak radios and hboot. I know there are ways to update them even being s_on but am very hesitant for the simple fact that if something goes wrong then I'm screwed!
Yes... Maybe not officially but I know the person on XDA who leaked the previous firmwares to Android Police and he said it's out there, he is trying to persuade the person who gave it to him to get it out.

"fastboot boot recovery.img" is supposed to give you temporary S-OFF (it works for boot.img), you might be able to flash radios, hboot, and boot image then this: [ROM] OTA-Global-Stock-4.05.605.14 710RD-Rooted 5/1/13 - xda-developers

I will do some more investigating to see if that is possible.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Thx, appreciate it. Hopefully your source comes through tho! That would be the sh*t