Running Services Vs Force Close

DocsDad

Reaction score
Does an app that is not Force Closed or shut down consume power? Some of my apps show up in Running Services and others that can be force closed do not. My main concern would be several news apps that have weather radars.

Since they do not show up in "Running Services, can I deduce that just because an app CAN be force closed, that in itself does not mean it is running and consuming power?

fyi, I tried the native Task Manager to shut these news apps off and saw no difference in battery. I never Task Manage native apps. No sense battling my MAXX in "tic tac toe". :)

Thanks for the advice.

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Well I have lots of weather apps and they never show as running. They appear to only load when the app is open. I have one weather widget that updates but again its very far down on battery consumption.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The short answer to the OP's question is no; don't worry about it. Just because an app is occupying RAM doesn't mean it is consuming power. It simply means that it is occupying some of the "chairs" a room full of chairs. Those chairs can be "empty" (free) or occupied, it doesn't matter. If you force close one, however, it does mean that if it is designed to run periodically in the background it has to be re-loaded into RAM before it can be accessed by the CPU. And that loading does consume a miniscule amount of battery power.

If you're concerned about battery life, stop using apps that run automatically. They DO consume power whenever the CPU is used to run them. But the greatest feature of the Maxx, imo, is that I don't even have to worry about that. For the first time with any android device I can run even live wallpapers without guilt. ;)