Running service on/off

maidmarianiii

Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of which running services are ok and NOT ok to turn off? There are some basic one I understand and know I can turn off, but some others and I have no idea. Thanks in advance for your help.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't have a droid - x but I know there are two camps on the droid. Those who like task managers and those who think the os does a find job by itself of managing tasks. I'm in the latter.

Android is a flavor of Linux. As items sit there in memory and a new process comes along that needs some memory the operating system bumps off that which isn't being used. So while its sitting there in memory its doing just that, basically sitting there. Items that will suck down your battery life would be seeking out wifi connections when none are around. If turned on it will check every now and then. GPS will run down the battery too.

I guess a counter question would be to ask you what you think isn't working right, or what task are you trying to accomplish? Android runs pretty good right out of the box. Unlike some PC bought at a store that comes with extra stuff installed that really should be removed, there isn't so much of that here.

OP
M

maidmarianiii

Reaction score
I'm i correct in saying any service will turn back on if you execute it? So my question is, what has to stay on for phone to work and what can be turned off, then turned back on if you need to use it? And yes, like my computer, I go in and turn many services off I know I don't use, but don't mess with ones I'm not sure of. And there are ones in the Droid X im not sure of. THANKS AGAIN