Running Multiple Browsers

FudoMyoo

Reaction score
I am having some trouble running multiple browsers at the same time. Say I choose Opera as my defualt browser. If I load the stock android browser from the apps menu, clicking links or entering addresses causes android to switch back and open the page in opera.

I contemplated not setting a default, but that prompts me to choose which browser to use after almost every action. Is there a way to prevent the stock browser from automatically switching to the browser set as defualt?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
F

FudoMyoo

Reaction score
I found a work around for those with similar issues. If I set the stock android browser as the default browser and open up a secondary browser from the apps list, such as Opera, I do not encounter the browser switching problems. The only downside is that applications that automatically launch the default browser no longer launch my preferred browser of Opera.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

bplewis24

Reaction score
Is there a way to prevent the stock browser from automatically switching to the browser set as defualt?

Thanks!

How were you initially opening up the stock browser?

It's possible you were pressing the "search" button, which first opens Google Search (looks like the browser though) and then when you press a button to search for that link, it will go to the default browser.

Set the default browser to Opera, and then open up your app drawer and launch the stock browser and see if the same thing happens.

Brandon

OP
F

FudoMyoo

Reaction score
I get the same results whether I open the browser from the apps menu, open it with the browser button on the dock, or use the search feature to find it. It's strange to me that it happens when I set Opera as the defualt browser, but not when I set the stock android browser as defualt. Maybe it's an issue with Opera? I am going to try it with Dolphin and Xfire...

bplewis24

Reaction score
Okay I installed Opera Mobile and this is what I found:

When I opened Google Search and searched for Emma Watson (don't ask), it asked what I wanted to be the default browser. I selected Opera Mobile, and it opened Opera.

Then when I opened the "browser" app from the launcher dock, and searched for Emma Watson, it asked what I wanted to be the default browser and I selected "Browser" and it used the stock browser.

Then I went back to press the "search" capacitive button and searched again, and it used Opera.

Then I opened the stock browser and opened up a bookmark and clicked on hotmail and it prompted for the default browser again! How many times is it gonna do that?

Brandon

OP
F

FudoMyoo

Reaction score
I have been using Opera Mobile. The problem persists with XScope, Miren, and Skyfire are set as default. It seems that this only doesn't happen when you select the stock android browser as default. I am willing to bet that in the standard browser completes tasks by running the default browser as opposed to itself, whereas other browsers complete tasks by running themselves.