Running HOT !!!

mandragora

Reaction score
I was doing really well on battery for the first 4.5 hrs today (down to about 70%). 40 Minutes later, I take out my phone, it is hot and I lost 30%. I checked the running tasks and nothing appears to be running.

Is there an app that will log everything the phone is doing so I can identify what is using up the battery (and heating it up?)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^You should be able to see what eats the battery under battery manager. Is your phone hunting for 4G a lot or is the signal solid?

OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
^You should be able to see what eats the battery under battery manager. Is your phone hunting for 4G a lot or is the signal solid?

Nothing helpful in the battery manager. Cell Standby and phone idle 44 and 42%.

I currently have a good 4G signal. Nothing has changed and the phone has cooled down.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you leave the GPS on accidentally?

GPS is often the culprit to a sudden decrease in battery life and is definitely known for generating abnormal heat.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would do a Factory Reset (because that is the first thing Verizon is going to tell you to do) and if it does this again I would contact Verizon about warranty claim. If it repeats after Factory Reset either phone or battery needs to be replaced. Just my opinion and YMMV!!!

OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
Did you leave the GPS on accidentally?

GPS is often the culprit to a sudden decrease in battery life and is definitely known for generating abnormal heat.

No. I did not leave the GPS on. MAPS does appear to be a running task though.

OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
Just happened again. I did not touch the phone all morning. Just took it out of the case. Hot to the touch and power down to 20%.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^ I think you have a bad phone. Take'r back. I have 10 widgets running, gps on all the time and with moderate to heavy use I got over 17 hours on battery. Never got overly hot either.

OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
^ I think you have a bad phone. Take'r back. I have 10 widgets running, gps on all the time and with moderate to heavy use I got over 17 hours on battery. Never got overly hot either.

I don't know. I used to get this with the OG droid as well. I have just installed android system information and I will see the next time if there is something in the log file. (or I can catch the CPU doing something.