Running a little hot?

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Is it just me? I'm using the stock 1ghz kernel (on Sapphire 8.0.4) and I'm watching the temp jump past 40c with just simple tapatalk usage.

This is really strange for me as I can re-flash to Kangerade or CM6 and it certainly doesn't jump past 40c with simple usage using 1.25ghz kernels..

It pains me to see it go that high because I really love the speed this ROM offers and it's stability compared to CM6.

Anyways, suggestions would be great to help get the temperatures down without having to go to lower kernels. Rock on team Sapphire!

Edit: I still endorse great firmware, please enjoy it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cvpcs/58712-features-bug-fixes-themes-oh-my-sapphire-0-8-4-a.html

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
For the first day, it did seem to run hot, but I've been running an emulator for the past hour, and i have not felt it get noticeably hot at all. Give it time.

And I am running the exact same kernel too.

jacobrv

Reaction score
Remember, 3g/2g/Wifi/GPS generate a lot of heat on their own. Instead of using data to test for high temps, try running a processor intensive app. If you stay cool when using an emulator or 3D game, you are probably fine. Also, you could try a lower voltage kernel of the same speed. I honestly don't know if a lower voltage runs cooler, but its worth a shot.

validoption

Reaction score
Sapphire has always run the hottest for my phone out of all available ROMs. However, I've got a jdlfg 950 anykernel for froyo on Sapphire 8.4 NexTang and that kernel made my device noticeably cooler than the stock Sapph kernel. The idiosyncracies of our phones, eh?

Sent from my Droid

PJnc284

Reaction score
yeah, my phone has never really liked using 3G on any of the roms I run @ 800MHz. I jumped up from an idle temp of 29-30C to 46C after 30min of web browsing. I usually just end up using wifi since it's better on the battery and runs cooler.

mjones73

Reaction score
I've always noticed P3's kernels run hotter then normal on me. It doesn't take much to get my battery up to 50c with the 800Mhz kernel restricted to 600Mhz max and running maps or Nav with this set up. With past roms I'd usually be around 40c.

mjones73

Reaction score
Sapphire has always run the hottest for my phone out of all available ROMs. However, I've got a jdlfg 950 anykernel for froyo on Sapphire 8.4 NexTang and that kernel made my device noticeably cooler than the stock Sapph kernel. The idiosyncracies of our phones, eh?

Sent from my Droid

Is Wifi working ok for you with that kernel? It won't start for me when using the 950Mhz AnyKernal install.

OP
Z

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Well, can't say these suggestions really alleviate the problem (although I really appreciate the comments).

I do completely understand that data\3g heats the phone up more than running local programs (cough tethering cough). It's just that running something like tapatalk on comparative ROM's with even higher GHz never goes over the 40c threshold. Maybe I'll try one of the jdlfg kernels or an ultra low ChevyNo1 kernel tonight.

This heat issue of mine aside, the ROM is smoother than any ROM I have ever used and incredibly stable.

Thanks all, keeping a big eye on team Sapphire.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, can't say these suggestions really alleviate the problem (although I really appreciate the comments).

I do completely understand that data\3g heats the phone up more than running local programs (cough tethering cough). It's just that running something like tapatalk on comparative ROM's with even higher GHz never goes over the 40c threshold. Maybe I'll try one of the jdlfg kernels or an ultra low ChevyNo1 kernel tonight.

This heat issue of mine aside, the ROM is smoother than any ROM I have ever used and incredibly stable.

Thanks all, keeping a big eye on team Sapphire.

These things can be tough to diagnose because not everyone has these problems, we're all running different kernels, etc.

I'm running the stock kernel and I use Tapatalk quite a lot when I'm on the phone, and have never noticed high temperatures.

OP
Z

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Much agreed pdroid, just hoping to reduce heat for myself so I can find a home in the Sapphire ROM :)

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Much agreed pdroid, just hoping to reduce heat for myself so I can find a home in the Sapphire ROM :)

I hope you can too - perhaps try another p3 kernel, standard voltage?

Have you ever had issues (or even used) p3's kernels in the past?

OP
Z

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Yea I used p3 for CM 5.x.x and Bugless Beast in the past, they never really ran as smoothly as ChevyNo1 or Bekit for me so I never used them as my main, just for testing.

I'll admit it has been a while and I have definitely not used P3 on any Froyo ROM's yet. Don't remember heat ever being an issue when using it in the past.

OP
Z

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Yea I tried the 1.25 LV P3 kernel first and noticed way too much heat. Wiped so I could start clean with the stock 1GHz and still more heat than I wanted. I'm not willing to go below 1GHz.

Maybe the standard Voltage 1ghz? That would be weird, since lower voltages always run cooler on my droid.

validoption

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Is Wifi working ok for you with that kernel? It won't start for me when using the 950Mhz AnyKernal install.

Just noticed this when I tried to tether my iPod earlier...no, the tether error log shows everything fails to start. I'm not around a wifi router either, so I can't test to see if wifi will work (hence, the tether attempt). Figures...I finally find a kernel that works well with Sapphire and doesn't burn up...back to the flashing board I suppose...

Edit: Yeah, trying to activate the wifi results in error. Grr.