Run Stock Android on Rezound?

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I have been an Android owner since the G1 days...so I know my way around the OS...but...
And this may be a dumb question, but can I root my Rezound and run stock android? Not stock from HTC, but stock from Google.
I have never rooted a phone before but I am getting anxious to be running on vanilla Android.
Can I do this on the Rezound? If so...can someone point me to a link with step by step instructions and I'll look it over and see if I want to do it.
I'm running ICS now.

How are future OS updates handled? Would I get them? How would that work? And what is the likelyhood I'll screw up my phone?

Thanks guys.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I'm not an expert on rooting so I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure they have a vanilla ics rom you can get. And if you do root and flash a custom rom you will taken off the upgrade path. So any future updates would either have to be flashed by you or you'll have to take your phone back to stock to get the ota.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on rooting so I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure they have a vanilla ics rom you can get. And if you do root and flash a custom rom you will taken off the upgrade path. So any future updates would either have to be flashed by you or you'll have to take your phone back to stock to get the ota.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Few more questions...
Is that how folks typically do it, to flash future updates?
What is the process there?
If I rooted and went with a Vanilla Android, then an updated was released later then I flashed the new update, does that wipe the phone?
And how soon after a new version is released is the option typically available to flash? I would imagine that the new version would be available to flash before the OTA is available for my Rezound, is that a safe assumption?

Thanks.

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Anyone have any info they'd like to share? I'd like to see about doing this.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There's a few steps you have to do. It takes a little bit, but it's not awful. You have to unlock you're phone and then unlock the bootloader. Go oever to XDA forums for all the details and files.

They just released a stable CM9 kang, which I loaded on my phone last night actually.