(Rumor) Verizon planning To End All Unlimited Data Plans By End Of 2014!

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
First I am not a Verizon fan but I am stuck on it because they have the best service in my area. But what amazes me is that people think just because you threaten to leave and go to another service that Verizon is going to care. We that are on the forums are a small percentage of people that use Verizon. You must understand that most of Verizon users do not care less about Unlimited data. They just care if the phone can do what they need. They are the best service provider in the U.S. right now. People that know the insides and out like on forums will leave but the 80% of the others will not. Yes this makes us angry. But it is business and greed.

nateohio

Reaction score
First I am not a Verizon fan but I am stuck on it because they have the best service in my area. But what amazes me is that people think just because you threaten to leave and go to another service that Verizon is going to care. We that are on the forums are a small percentage of people that use Verizon. You must understand that most of Verizon users do not care less about Unlimited data. They just care if the phone can do what they need. They are the best service provider in the U.S. right now. People that know the insides and out like on forums will leave but the 80% of the others will not. Yes this makes us angry. But it is business and greed.

We aren't saying that to try and get Verizon to change their mind. Someone like me needs unlimited...If Verizon snatches it away from me... I'll take my four lines to t-mobile... It's not a threat

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Zig8

Reaction score
Yes it is true we are a small percentage of Verizon customers, but we represent a lot more that do not do the posting. I am always asking the people at work what service they have and how it is working for them. I always get a lot of dissatisfied Verizon customers that are fed up and are switching as soon as they can. Think of us as a small sampling of normal users. As the competition gets better, more towers and offer better service and I think they are, Verizon will have to bow to the pressure of customer demands and give us what we want. I think it will happen...

mykl376

Reaction score
I can't worry about what "might" happen with Verizon. If/when they end unlimited data, I'll figure out my best option at that time. My contract is up next month, so I'll be month to month after that. They're going to have to take it from me though, because I'm not going to give it up for any of their current plans. Give me 10GB for $30 and I would strongly consider it...

CKD2

Reaction score
Is this gonna end up being a game of no company offering unlimited data?
I pay for FiOS Internet and have unlimited data. I've used almost 20 GB data so far this billing period. Obviously I'm gonna be forced to make a change either in phone habits or company. And who wants to cut back their phone use? Not me.
I'll just go with whoever offers unlimited data, I guess. What good is a strong Verizon signal if you can only use a little bit of it? I'll go with a weak unlimited signal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free

daimien

Reaction score
If I knew how much it would cost to terminate early i would do it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems like this will be a lawsuit waiting to happen. If I buy a phone at full price to keep unlimited, and then they take it away anyway? Yeah, I think I will be talking to a lawyer.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't worry about terminating early. It is written in your contracts that verizon can change pretty much anything with your contracts as long as they let you out of the contract with no ETF. Why terminate early? If they do remove unlimited from people who have contracts, that is when you move because it will cost you nothing. By the end of 2014, most companies will have a pretty good LTE rollout, and some companies like Verizon will be doing their LTE-A rollout. So just go with whoever offers unlimited at that point.

Seems like this will be a lawsuit waiting to happen. If I buy a phone at full price to keep unlimited, and then they take it away anyway? Yeah, I think I will be talking to a lawyer.

That is your choice to pay for a phone full price. The problem is that you have no contract with them, they are under no obligation to offer you anything. I have unlimited also... would I be kinda upset if I had just bought a phone full retail and then they took away unlimited? Yes, but then again I knew that was a risk going into it. Anyone who pays full retail for a phone expecting to keep unlimited forever should be warned that Verizon can change anything they want. The only reason anything changes for people on contract is that they are changing the terms of a contract, which it is written in their contract that they can do, but they MUST give you advanced notice and allow you to leave with no ETF by a certain date.

With anyone company, not just Verizon. Unlimited data is a privilege not a right. No company HAS to give you unlimited data if they so choose.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Today I got some disturbing news from 2 different Verizon stores one showed me Confirmation. I was told although I have unlimited data, by the end of 2014 Verizon will be taking all of it away. Normally I would not believe the guys at the 1st store but they were pushing buying the phone out right other then the edge plan. I found that strange in it self. But since I have mine already ordered at my home store. They had no reason to lie to me. After leaving there I went to my home store where my order is and asked my friend about it he confirmed it and showed a document. He was telling me that is the plan for 2014. Since we are not under Verizon contract any more. We are month to month so I am hoping this will not happen between now and then. I said this was a rumor because I could not get a copy of the document my friend showed me.. If you have any kind of contacts at Verizon see if you can get information about it from them.

Weird because I heard that as well not sure if it was legit or a rumor.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
AT&T's 4G is about the speed of VZW's LTE

To the OP: I will take a look tomorrow when I get to work and see if anything came through today suggesting this is more than a rumor.

I have att and its lte is on par with vzws.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yes their Speeds are on par, but not their coverage of LTE. Verizon I believe will also be expanding to LTE-A before AT&T also. But for the most part the services are pretty decent for both of them.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes their Speeds are on par, but not their coverage of LTE. Verizon I believe will also be expanding to LTE-A before AT&T also. But for the most part the services are pretty decent for both of them.

You are correct and am much as I love vzw network I hate their controlling demeanor. On ATT or T-mobile yeah they may have a phone they decide to lock but you have the option to buy and unlocked phone to put on their network. Whether it be vzw removing blocking mode from galaxy note 2, the nexus experience (or lack there of). For me att lte is fast enough to do what I need it to do and for the area I am at its coverage is on par with vzw. I am eyeing t-mobile right now. If (key word) they cant get their network in my area where close the holes in their coverage I could truly seeing me going pink (as I said in a thread before). But there is a reason why Vzw is clear number 1, att #2, and Tmobile and Sprint fighting for that 3 spot and that is because of coverage.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

Maybe where you live but here in Raleigh NC and surrounding areas Verizon rules AT&T is a distant 2nd. I have friends that get upset because I had things load faster on my Gnex on Verizon then on their S4 on AT&T. I will have full 4G and they will not have that much single. I known of people here leaving AT&T to come to Verizon because of it. Sprint and T-Mobile is a Distant 3rd and 4th from AT&T.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I feel you, I was going to switch over to tmobile, but their coverage in my area, esp where I work would be next to none. I work in the basement of a building but it has a Verizon repeater or extender, only Verizon. So my options are slightly limited while i'm still employed there. But if Verizon sees fit to remove unlimited from even the contract holders, I will end up moving to tmobile either way as long as they still have unlimited.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
What they did to end unlimited for the old vcast pack users was slowly do away with phone models that supported the feature. You have an LG Dare activated? As long as you did you had unlimited on the vcast pack but once you bought a new phone the system no longer allowed the new phone to have that feature. I see that scenario more than them just cutting off unlimited. Could be phones with lte next gen no longer can work with unlimited or something similar.
Hope that makes sense.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

They did something similar with me. I had 2000 text messages without additional cost (2000 TXT ALLOWANCE was the name in their system). This plan was TXT only and MMS was an additional charge each which I was fine with. Been using it all these years up until last year. This was when they were trying to get everyone onto an LTE phone. Even though my Droid 3 was only six months old, they were willing to give me a Droid 4 for free and reset my 2yr contract start date. The CSR swore up and down that nothing would change on my plan and they could always put it back. That's when they dropped it.

I called to get them to put it back on, but was told it was "incompatible with your phone". I tried to get as high as I could. I even filed a BBB complaint and the best that rep could do was credit me a TXT plan for a year. I was told in their system it was marked as incompatible and it wouldn't let them put it back on. There was no way to talk with a DBA or anyone else on getting it changed. That was the last bait and switch I was going to tolerate from them; after nine years, I've ported my numbers out and suspended my lines (they don't charge for this BTW).

I guess I better get on to selling my grandfathered Unlimited Data plans. I've been slacking on selling them and have been happy with T-Mobile for three months now. Although they did get my preordered Note 3 to me a day after launch, but I know better next time.