(Rumor) Verizon planning To End All Unlimited Data Plans By End Of 2014!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What they did to end unlimited for the old vcast pack users was slowly do away with phone models that supported the feature. You have an LG Dare activated? As long as you did you had unlimited on the vcast pack but once you bought a new phone the system no longer allowed the new phone to have that feature. I see that scenario more than them just cutting off unlimited. Could be phones with lte next gen no longer can work with unlimited or something similar.
Hope that makes sense.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I work for verizon business. they would open the door for many lawsuits if they do this. people have paid full price to keep unlimited data. it would be stealing money from us by stopping unlimited data. between lawsuits and lost customers it would be suicide for verizon wireless.
I would go with sprints grandfathered unlimited plan then move my number and then disco big red. remember dont disconnect until you get a phone from sprint and have sprint port your nbr from vz. otherwise you will lose your nbr. after porting sprint has your vz line disconnected. now you have your number and unlimited data.

bye verizon

Lawsuits can only be made by people who have contracts. Those of us that do not have contracts that have the unlimited plan. We do not have a case. Buying the phone outright to keep unlimited plan is something we did. Nothing to do with Verizon. They are just about money like any other business..

skennelly

Reaction score
If this turns out to be true, then at least I have until the end of 2014 to see which carrier has progressed enough with their coverage to make a switch to them. Maybe Sprint or T-Mo will have good enough service for me by then.

Also, this rumor may have something to do with Verizon rolling out their VoLTE. It wouldn't be very profitable for them with unlimited data.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
If this turns out to be true, then at least I have until the end of 2014 to see which carrier has progressed enough with their coverage to make a switch to them. Maybe Sprint or T-Mo will have good enough service for me by then.

Also, this rumor may have something to do with Verizon rolling out their VoLTE. It wouldn't be very profitable for them with unlimited data.

If this happens don't be surprise if the other companies follow suit.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I see Verizon simply blocking off future 5G from any unlimited customers before dropping everyone at once from it. I wouldn't think unlimited customers make up a big portion of Verizon nor cause problems like some seem to think. Plus they are ones buying phones outright and more likely to pay their bill on time because they really want to keep what they have currently.

But if Verizon is planning to drop all unlimited customers, end of 2014 is a good a time as any. Hopefully other carriers are more fleshed out at that time, and I can choose who else to go with as limited data doesn't fit my needs at all.

bsghs02

Reaction score
I work for verizon business. they would open the door for many lawsuits if they do this. people have paid full price to keep unlimited data. it would be stealing money from us by stopping unlimited data. between lawsuits and lost customers it would be suicide for verizon wireless.
I would go with sprints grandfathered unlimited plan then move my number and then disco big red. remember dont disconnect until you get a phone from sprint and have sprint port your nbr from vz. otherwise you will lose your nbr. after porting sprint has your vz line disconnected. now you have your number and unlimited data.

bye verizon

Yeah i kinda agree, i don't think they can kill off the unlimited plan, maybe create new ones that aren't for regular consumers. But in Texas, Verizon gives state and local agencies unlimited data for 30 bucks a month still under the Texas DIR contracts. So if they pulled out of unlimited for emergency services and such, they'd be losing thousands of customers in just this state.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Droid Forums

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see Verizon simply blocking off future 5G from any unlimited customers before dropping everyone at once from it. I wouldn't think unlimited customers make up a big portion of Verizon nor cause problems like some seem to think. Plus they are ones buying phones outright and more likely to pay their bill on time because they really want to keep what they have currently.

I agree. It'll come down to unlimited data or new phone (no matter how or how much you pay for it). Verizon won't drop anyones data plan. They'll force them to choose for themselves. 91 million + customers in the collective now? What's a few hundred thousand customer losses?
It won't be the first time they've forced the issue in this way. Anyone remember Americas Choice plans?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I have been saying for a while that unlimited will end, or start to be phased out on June 29th 2014. That is when all of us who upgraded at the last minute will be out of contract.

Tap'd from my G2

S

SFGate

This does not surprise me one bit. Glad I am not with Verizon.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been saying for a while that unlimited will end, or start to be phased out on June 29th 2014. That is when all of us who upgraded at the last minute will be out of contract.

Tap'd from my G2

Unless you got in on last weekends deal. So Sept 27th 2015 for me.

nateohio

Reaction score
That's fine with me... The second they yank my unlimited data, I'll be jumping ship to t-mobile. I'm already out of contract and have almost jumped ship already.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mrmark27

Reaction score
def glad that I was able to get in one the promo/glitch/whatever last week to keep my unlimited for another 2 years. I know sprint in my area sucks but I think AT&T is decent by me if I need to switch in the future.

does anyone know if the Note 3 will be able to use the new LTE-A network when Verizon starts it up?

rakumiazuri

Reaction score
On that note.

Remember if you try to port your number do it on the last day of your plan. Otherwise VZW charges you for a full month.
Pretty sure this counts as charging to port your number, but...you know.

taz1458

Reaction score
GO ahead Verizon. Sprint is calling my name. Granted I'm in the boonies and verizon has the best service, but I'm about fed up with their crap.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4