1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[Rumor] Verizon May Charge Full Price for Warranty Phones if Rooted; VZW Denies

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

A recent report over on MyDroidWorld suggests that Verizon may now be charging customers full price for phones under warranty, if you bring it back and it has been rooted. Supposedly, several users tried to return their phones for warranty work, but were charged the full price to replace the phones because Verizon determined they were rooted.

However, a separate report from Droid-Life that was tied to the same story indicates that Droid-Life was contacted by Verizon themselves and that Big Red denies that they even check to see if a phone is rooted. The representatives from VZW said they only check three things when a phone comes in for warranty, and rooting isn't one of them. Here's a quote from the Droid-Life article with the details,
    Hmmm... we will keep a watch on this to see if anything different develops confirming either position.

Source: MyDroidWorld and Droid-Life
  2. Beardface

Beardface New Member

....so if they don't check for root, does rooting void your warranty?....
  3. pdroid

pdroid New Member

I was in a VZW store a few weeks ago and showed them my D1 with CyanogenMod on it. No one cared, one the sales guys thought it was awesome.
  4. Underscore_Hero

Underscore_Hero New Member

I think the "warranty" is void after Root, but if you pay the Asurion protection, they don't need to check for root, and they can give you a new phone for the "replacement" price.

So if you are rooted, and your screen shatters, I don't think they have an issue with sending a replacement, unless the rep doesn't like you,.....
  5. barski

barski New Member

So we can root are phones and still get a new replacement? nices. now i don't have to sbf back...lols im still gunna do it for good measure.

I have also taken rooted Droid X, with a custom rom on it, to a verizon store...they didn't care and sent me a new phone.

AND there is a post very very similar to the one above in the Droid Forums New Dept.
  6. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

charged full price for replacement phone verizon

if verizon denies my warranty how much for samsung s3

if verizon denies warranty can i return

verizon charged me for warranty

verizon charging me for warrinty phone

verizon denying my warranty because phone was rooted

verizon root warranty