[Rumor] Verizon May Be Working on a 'Droid Loyalty' Program

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-word-logo.jpg

Although no details have leaked out, there is a rumor floating around that Verizon may be working on a "Droid Loyalty" program. Basically, the premise is that there is a growing frustration that consumers feel with the rapid pace of smartphone development, especially with the Droid branding, because there are times where a consumer has a disincentive to purchase. This arises either because they are "holding out" for the next better phone, or the consumer feels disenfranchised because a few months (or sometimes weeks) after they buy the latest greatest Droid, a new and more powerful one is released. Supposedly, this "Droid Loyalty" program will seek to address that, and encourage trying out the newest devices. We shall see if it is for real, and if they can pull it off...

Source: TalkAndroid

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If true, sign me up :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
This would be cool! A guy could go nuts thinking about what's coming out next! (I know I'm close!)

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I can get behind that.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I will definitely sign up. However, one must remember that latest and greatest doesn't mean yours is suddenly garbage. I have a DroidX and will have one for another 6 months until my 2 year upgrade is available. I don't resent my phone for being old. Its has come up leaps and bounds since I got it. Nothing but software has changed for it and yet it feels like a new phone with every new version. Hell, even the official Gingerbread update from Verizon gave it a major kick in the pants. I understand some phones are bad purchases, but if it does what you need it to, its not worth spending money for a new one becuase its 100Mhz faster than yours. Nearly every app I run on my phone runs smooth as silk except for Dungeon Defenders. But even then, its still playable.

With that all said, I still drool over new phones, but never want to buy them full price and replace what I feel is a truly great phone.

pizza3

Reaction score
Loyalty incentive

It seems that neither you nor your sources have a clue as to what that might be. This is not to be critical in any way. I applaud you for raising the possibility and provoking thought and discussion. However, it seems to me as a lay consumer that the reason you "buy" the phone for a few hundred dollars off the list price is that VZW makes it up on the extended service commitment. If I just got an X2, for example, what kind of deal could they offer me. I am already married to them for 2 years. I would upgrade early given the right incentive. Would I have to bind myself and my heirs into perpetuity? Maybe... for a real cool phone!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My guess is "loyalty" will not be separate from how much your monthly bill is.

I'm also willing to bet VZW will somehow make money on this. They may charge you a premium to be part of the loyalty program, like a form of insurance, knowing that most won't constantly be trading phones. VZW pays money for the Droid name rights, and my guess is so do the OEM's one way or another for the marketing benefits of that. So restricting this to Droid brands would be very curious and smells of an attempt to recover some of what VZW pays for the naming rights.

loki993

Reaction score
It will probably just be like the VIP program they had before where you get an upgrade every year instead of every 2, which hell would be fine for me. Too bad its not in effect now though I would have gotten a Bionic, or even a Tbolt when they came out.

Losman

Reaction score
OH SIGN ME UP!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited by a moderator:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It will probably just be like the VIP program they had before where you get an upgrade every year instead of every 2, which hell would be fine for me. Too bad its not in effect now though I would have gotten a Bionic, or even a Tbolt when they came out.

Once a year would be perfect!

nhra1ss

Reaction score
This would be good to me. I have a D2, having waited because I didn't really like the D1 looks ( sorry to those that have one ). I liked the phone but when I saw the links before the D2 came out, I ordered one sight unseen. Loved it ever since. Now the D3 is out and though I have been thinking of moving up, I am seeing links and posts about a D4. So now what. Wait until it comes out? Get a D3 now? Just be happy with my D2? If there were a deal to move up ever year or some other incintive, I would jump at the chance, dancedroid

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
This would be good to me. I have a D2, having waited because I didn't really like the D1 looks ( sorry to those that have one ). I liked the phone but when I saw the links before the D2 came out, I ordered one sight unseen. Loved it ever since. Now the D3 is out and though I have been thinking of moving up, I am seeing links and posts about a D4. So now what. Wait until it comes out? Get a D3 now? Just be happy with my D2? If there were a deal to move up ever year or some other incintive, I would jump at the chance, dancedroid

Lmfao.. really I thought the d2 looked just like the d1 but silver/grey..

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...