[Rumor] Verizon Droid Prime Time! Exclusive in Oct; The Real Reason No SGS2

Immolate

Reaction score
Yeah as a developer reference phone, the only odd stuff allowed on the Prime will be an excess of awesome. No keyboards, trackballs, solar energy panels or flotation devices.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'm just worried this thing isn't going to be a vanilla android experience since a) its on verizon and we'd only be that lucky and b) they removed the nexus tag. Hopefully verizon just wants to ride off the "droid" popularity and this thing is a vanilla android, unlocked, beast of a phone.

If the phone is fully onlocked, does it really matter how it comes outta the box?

DC4MVP

Reaction score
So is this suppose to be bigger, badder, better than the Bionic?

Any specs out yet?

matt2783

Reaction score
I'm just worried this thing isn't going to be a vanilla android experience since a) its on verizon and we'd only be that lucky and b) they removed the nexus tag. Hopefully verizon just wants to ride off the "droid" popularity and this thing is a vanilla android, unlocked, beast of a phone.

These are my thoughts exactly. We haven't seen an unlocked stock android phone on VZW since the OG, and giving it a droid title makes me worry more.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
Sounds like the Droid Prime will be Verizon's answer to all things Android. In some regards, this could be viewed as the first true Droid successor, keyboard aside. When Moto's Droid was released, it came with 2.0... the first phone sporting it. This will be the first phone running ICS. And an October release date would put it head to head against the iPhone 5. Even with the Droid branding, it is highly doubtful that Google would let Verizon mess with the phone in any way, shape, or form, as that defeats their purpose of a Google Experience device aimed at developers.

One possibility as to why the phone may sport the Droid branding is because it will probably be slightly different than the Prime released on at&t (if that happens) due to the different radios. Maybe I'm completely off base here, but if they made it an LTE device, the housing for a Verizon Nexus vs. an at&t Nexus could be different.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Sounds like the Droid Prime will be Verizon's answer to all things Android. In some regards, this could be viewed as the first true Droid successor, keyboard aside. When Moto's Droid was released, it came with 2.0... the first phone sporting it. This will be the first phone running ICS. And an October release date would put it head to head against the iPhone 5. Even with the Droid branding, it is highly doubtful that Google would let Verizon mess with the phone in any way, shape, or form, as that defeats their purpose of a Google Experience device aimed at developers.

One possibility as to why the phone may sport the Droid branding is because it will probably be slightly different than the Prime released on at&t (if that happens) due to the different radios. Maybe I'm completely off base here, but if they made it an LTE device, the housing for a Verizon Nexus vs. an at&t Nexus could be different.

P3droid tweeted a while back that it was only for verizon

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a dev phone if they did.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

That I know, but with them changing the name from Nexus Prime to Droid Prime makes me wonder if Big Red is up to something. Just me playing devils advocate. I really hope not...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
A Nexus Droid phone...nice move Verizon. Now it just needs to be promoted as well as other Droid phones. Even tho the Incredible was a Droid phone...Motorola Droid phones seemed to get more airplay, where I lived anyway.

Interesting decision for me now...ICS on this phone could mean OMAP 4460 or 4470. If its LTE also.....man o man. I might have to give Samsung a spin this time. Or just get 2 phones....lol

stinger161

Reaction score
Id like to see this like Tony Stark's phone in iron man; clear and holographic. Thats what I really want. When are we going to get those already!

EFGantry

Reaction score
So is this suppose to be bigger, badder, better than the Bionic?

Any specs out yet?

no confirmed specs. the rumored specs include:

4.5-4.6" Super AMOLED HD screen
dual core OMAP 4460
1 gb ram
5 mp camera
ICS

Stories

Reaction score
Hopefully this is true... I think the DX is a bit big but I had no problems when I had it because I'm in a suit all day. I did think it was a PITA when I had on jeans or khakis though.

We'll have to see. I'm even on the side of thinking that 4.3" is too big to type comfortably with one hand.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Which is a matter of opinion. For starters, I know a lot of people who wouldn't want a phone that's as large as this phone is supposed to be.

It's "supposed" to be no larger than the Bionic or any of the other "average" sized 4.3 inch phones. The difference will be in the absence of a bezel. Most of the face of this device will be usable screen unlike every other phone out now.