[Rumor] US Version of Samsung Galaxy S3 May Not Come with Exynos Quad-core

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s-iii-artist-render.jpg

Here's a rumor we whole-heartedly hope is hogwash. Supposedly, an unnamed Samsung executive was quoted indicated that the United States version of "the Next Galaxy/SGS3" will not come with a a quad-core Exynos processor from Samsung, but instead will come with an unnamed Qualcomm chip. Here was the supposed quote,

“Samsung plans to release its Galaxy S III smartphone according to different specifications and different markets. For European consumers, it will use 3G and the company’s own quad-core mobile APs, while its own solution that combines LTE, 3G and quad-core mobile APs will be used for the Korean version. But only in the United States, will Samsung use Qualcomm chips.”

There were no specifics given as to why this would be the case, but we will bring you more details if they emerge. For now, we find this bit of info highly suspect, so simply take it with a "pound" of salt. At the very least, we will know for sure on May 3rd.

In separate news, there are more reports that Qualcomm may end up with a chip shortage sometime this year. Apparently, they are very popular with all the smartphone OEMs and will have a hard time keeping up with demand. Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs admitted, “Although the manufacturing yields are progressing per expectation, there’s a shortage of 28-nanometer capacity. And at this stage, we cannot secure enough supply to meet the increasing demand we’re experiencing. We’re working closely with our partners to bring additional capacity online.”

Source: UnWiredView

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Not surprised. I believe only the CDMA SGS2 shipped Exynos. The rest of them came with Snapdragons. Cause it didn't support HSPA+ bands.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it has to do with data speed caps. That was one theory for the gs 2. Which IMO is silly. I am happy to get 20mbps on my RAZR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

fobpartisan

Reaction score
Wish sprint would be a more reliable network, would switch in a heartbeat. Verizon is once again going to pass this phone n come up with their own ugly design with garbage parts because of LTE. I almost never use LTE cause it eats to much battery power. Why is Verizon pushing LTE when most phones can't last more then 6 hours on LTE is beyond me.

npro1464

Reaction score
...so why won't it have quad core? And why would I choose a dual core s3 over a discounted (by the time this is finally launched) Razr Maxx?

jerkwad

Reaction score
...so why won't it have quad core? And why would I choose a dual core s3 over a discounted (by the time this is finally launched) Razr Maxx?

At the rate things are going, ICS might be a good reason. Perhaps an unlockable bootloader, definitely a far superior screen and most likely a significant improvement in cpu and gpu specs might also be good reasons.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2