1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[Rumor] Supposedly, Only 375,000 Nexus 4 Phones Have Sold So Far

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 3, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Here's a report that is worth mentioning but should also be taken with a grain of salt. Supposedly, some devs over at XDA figured out the serial number patterns for the LG-made Google Nexus 4 phones, and through extrapolation have determined that only 375,000 of the devices have sold since their debut late last year. Of course, it's no secret that the phone keeps selling out in the Google Play Store, and is currently in that status as of now. Obviously, this is probably due to both high demand and a tight constraint on supply from Google. It could also be difficulty within LG to build enough of the phones and still keep back enough parts for their own Optimus G flagship. More than likely, all of these reasons are true to varying degrees.

Regardless, according to the analysis by XDA members after figuring out the Nexus 4 numbering scheme, it looks like less than half a million of the devices have been sold, (around 375,000 to be more precise). Here's a quote with some of the details,

It seems like the devs that performed this analysis have done a good job figuring out the particulars; however, we can't help but wonder if something is missing out of this puzzle, which would call their figures into question. Perhaps there are different manufacturing variants that would throw off these figures. Also, how could they be assured that they have figured out the last one in the line? Of course, it's possible they are dead-on with their calculations. If they are, do you think these numbers are disappointing, or right in line with your expectations?

Source: PhoneArena
  2. r1nstang

r1nstang New Member

is this nexus 4 serial they are using the same serial # located in about phone?? because im not seeing anything that matches up with the numbers used as an example, 212k. my serial starts with 0044E
  3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

May not be surprising. I always thought the Nexus devices were more about leading by example than Google setting out to rack up sales records.
  4. npro1464

npro1464 Member

Giving LG the rights to make this phone was a bone-head move on Google's part. No way Samsung would have botched this up this badly. I guarantee LG does not get a sequel due to this debacle.
    1 person likes this.
  5. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Well those numbers are quite underwhelming...
  6. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

I wonder if maybe this number only equates to one particular region of the world instead of total global sales. If, for example, this figure were for Canada or even the US, this number would make more sense. From what we can tell it looks like the phone has been very popular outside the US. It would be interesting to see the actual global sales figures from Google, although I doubt that is likely to happen until we are able to drink hot chocolate on Pluto.
  7. Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69 Well-Known Member

It better be one particular region,got me waiting 3 blanked blank blank mths for this Awesome device and all you sold was 375,000.Dont make me go TWAN!!! up in dis piece.:D
    1 person likes this.
  8. TJF2011

TJF2011 New Member

maybe if this device was available on all carriers?
  9. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

There are only so many customers to go around. With the s3 being a hot device, the nexus being available for unlocked phones and T mobile only, and other big devices like the note 2, razr (maxx)hd, droid dna I am not surprised the nexus 4 at the numbers. Plus it does not help that they can not keep them in stock.
  10. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

lack of lte radio killed the deal. why would i want a 3g phone in 4g world?
    1 person likes this.
  11. Jeyman

Jeyman New Member

maybe because it has "3g+" and that over 70% of the world still does not have lte. The US is the only major outlet of phones. I have 4g in New York but still only have 4g about 50% of the time. lol lets not say 4g is a must yet just because we are fairly lucky in the US(at least by that)
  12. Crankintopwater69

How many times must this info be shared.The lack of LTE is not the end of the world.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  13. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

No just it gets looked over by many Americans on networks that support lte :biggrin:.

But hey those that want lte can get a razr maxx hd and get a n7 or n10.
  14. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

would you settle for dial up internet right now? sure it's not an end of the world but i won't accept inferior product.
  15. npro1464

npro1464 Member

The people who complain about the lack of LTE in the Nexus 4 don't get it- Google is trying to create an avenue to end reliance on subscription-based carriers. Unfortunately, there is no pre-paid LTE available on GSM, so they have to settle for T-Mobile's HSPA+ network. If they wanted to make it available on MetroPCS or some other LTE pre-paid network, they'd have to manufacture a specific CDMA phone for that network, which would bring up costs and complicates their mission. By producing a GSM only phone, they're able to give the consumer choice when choosing his/her wireless provider and the power to leave that provider whenever he/she wants. I agree, the next Nexus should be released everywhere on every network that is willing to accept the terms and conditions that come with the phone (which would exclude VZ anyway). But I'm not against this idea of making an affordable, awesome phone for the pre-paid GSM market. And its not like there isn't a demand for the N4- they've been sold out since it launched months ago. It's LG who is to blame. I can't believe how incompetent this company is at producing this phone.
  16. Crankintopwater69

Well said sir.We(people)are gonna find something too complain about.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  17. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

I finally found a Nexus 4 to play with at a TMo store. Man did I love it! I'm one that likes it's display better than amoled.