[Rumor] Sony's Xperia Z2 with A-LTE Likely Coming to VZW mid-August

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony-xperia-z2-verizon-tease.jpg

Many of our members have been anxiously awaiting the day that Verizon will actually pick up one of Sony's Xperia line of phones. We have heard a couple of rumors over the last few months suggesting that very possibility. This latest bit of intel pegs the Sony Xperia Z2 as hitting the Big Red network sometime in August of this year.

If it turns out to be true, we will applaud VZW for finally getting the Sony product, but we find it baffling they would wait so long after the phone has been out to do so. By the time Verizon starts activating the Z2 on their network, we are likely to see the Xperia Z3 at around the same time or shortly after. This seems like an ill-timed marketing strategy.

However, as it turns out there might be a pretty good reason to wait that long. Here's the @evleaks quote with the details,

Verizon customers: your wait for the Sony XPERIA Z2 will not have been in vain. The delay, if you want to call it that, is due to the fact that a very specific variant, one that supports LTE-Advanced, must wind its way through the certification and testing processes. Look for the Sony Sirius Viv (D6503) during the middle of next quarter.

What do you folks think? Is this a good enough reason to wait so long?

dja1980

Reaction score
I jumped on the $0.01 Moto X promo back in April. But, if Sony is planning on sticking with Verizon, this will most likely be my next go-to after the Moto/Lenovo move takes place. In my 17+ years of owning mobile phones, I've never owned anything other than Motorola. However, if Verizon is concerned about Motorola build-quality going forward, they might be looking to bring in a solid alternative. And, we know that Sony build-quality is supposed to be top-notch. I'm not sure that timing could be any better for Sony.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
When this phone was first announced, I told myself it'd be my next. Then I heard it wasn't coming to Verizon then The LG G3 was going to be my next and now this news? I am torn :D

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Where can I find specs on this device?

Ricocht77

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Xperia Z3v
If this is true i'm going to burst my pants with excitement, this is the phone that i've been waiting for and wanting for some time now.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Thanx bro.. :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The g3 is announced with 2 or 3 gigs of ram.. Some would argue that 3 is not necessary.. But others would say that's not true..

I couldn't find how much ram this phone has/will have.. That could be a deciding factor.. It's a good looking phone.. And with a 3200 Mah battery, and water proof.. I'm looking at it really hard.. But the appearance won't really matter because with my life EVERYTHING is put in an otterbox defender.. I'm with wicked.. I'm on the ropes. .

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Memory
RAM: 3 GB
Flash memory: Up to 16 GB*****
Expansion slot: microSD™ card, up to 128 GB (SDXC supported)

M8 tap'd

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
So this device is everything the g3 is and more..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
One worry.. The nexus 4(though lg) had the back glass.. And it had a cracking issue.. But the screen was fine.. I hope the Sony design is better..

And I hope it will have wireless charging.. But that's not a big deal if it doesn't..

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
So this device is everything the g3 is and more..

I was in serious love with the Z2 but there have been some reports of issues. If you check out the Z2's XDA section they go into detail. Some of it is production related which is good since the kinks get worked out after a good run.

VZW is so late on picking it up though, it's annoying. Still a hard choice though.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I was in serious love with the Z2 but there have been some reports of issues. If you check out the Z2's XDA section they go into detail. Some of it is production related which is good since the kinks get worked out after a good run.

VZW is so late on picking it up though, it's annoying. Still a hard choice though.
I'll go check that out.. Thanx.