[Rumor] SGS3 may have 4.6" Super AMOLED Plus HD display with 319ppi pixel density

52brandon

Reaction score
If samsung can't promise two years of update then it will better for most users to either learn to root or get galaxy nexus for android 5.0 Os or better. Then I'm happy with my 4 inch samsung stratosphere.

To be honest I think 4 inches is to big. I like the original droid 3.7 inch not 4.6 or 4.5 inch devices. Their to huge in my opinion.

Samsung galaxy s3 will probably be from 4.8 inches to 5.
the D1 was still bulky and had a fairly big bezel. A 4" screen on a GS3 type phone (basiclly bezel-less, and physical button less) would likely be the same size or smaller than a D1. And definitely much thinner

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The GFX hardware needs to be quite powerful if this device is to have full 1080 resolution...and pushing all those glorious pixels during use is going to burn battery.....especially on 4.X inches of screen real estate.

I don't believe current battery technology will allow for a 1080 phone display of 4+ inches...it would simply drain power too fast.

But that's just speculation, as is 1080..quad-core..4.6 inch...yada yada.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
The GFX hardware needs to be quite powerful if this device is to have full 1080 resolution...and pushing all those glorious pixels during use is going to burn battery.....especially on 4.X inches of screen real estate.

I don't believe current battery technology will allow for a 1080 phone display of 4+ inches...it would simply drain power too fast.

Isn't 1080p kinda silly to have on a phone? I thought you aren't even supposed to be able to tell between 720 and 1080 unless you have a decent size hdtv? It would be a waste of battery and cpu/gpu

dug-e-fresh

Reaction score

If the pixel density is 319, its not gonna be 1080p... it will be a 720p screen. The Gnex is a 4.65" screen and sports 316 pixel density and is 720p. Subtract that 0.05" off the screen to get 4.6" and I am sure you'd see the pixel density go to 319....

def

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
If the pixel density is 319, its not gonna be 1080p... it will be a 720p screen. The Gnex is a 4.65" screen and sports 316 pixel density and is 720p. Subtract that 0.05" off the screen to get 4.6" and I am sure you'd see the pixel density go to 319....

def

The pixel density is a rumor, like previous 1080 rumors.

I was round'a‘bout stating the display will likely be 720 to put previous 1080 claims to rest.

Personally I would love to see 1920x1080 on a phone display, would make reading and displaying large images a more pleasurable experience.

Only during video playback would 720 vs 1080 be difficult to distinguish, for general use the differences would be easily seen.

I am interested in the SIII build materials as much as internals, I'm wondering if we will see a magnesium unibody frame with ceramic case...I certainly hope so.

dug-e-fresh

Reaction score
I am interested in the SIII build materials as much as internals, I'm wondering if we will see a magnesium unibody frame with ceramic case...I certainly hope so.

It would be pretty sick...