[Rumor] Samsung's Gear VR May Have an Overheating Problem After Only 25 Minutes

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-gear-vr-product-photos10.jpg

Folks who were thinking of picking up the Samsung Gear VR headset as soon as it releases might want to wait until a refresh/update of the device instead. There is a rumor floating around that the device has a widespread problem of overheating on your head after only 25 minutes of use.

What's especially troublesome for Samsung is that the device is supposedly scheduled to start shipping to retail channels on December 1st of this year. That doesn't leave them much time to fix a design flaw of this nature.

This news isn't all bad though... the other part of this rumor is that the device will supposedly retail for around USD $187, which is a great deal more affordable than many of us had hoped. Let's cross our fingers that Sammy can iron out the bugs.

Source: BGR

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Comment to wife last night:

"Hon, why do I smell burnt hair? Are you making dinner or are you using your Samsung VR again?"

tap'n on my S5

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
1, in most of the hands on videos I've seen, people are at conferences/etc waiting in line, trying them out. You can't tell me if this is an actual problem that they didn't notice such an issue.

2, at that price, I don't care if it catches fire only when my enemies wear it, I'll pass even if it works perfectly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Really? I thought that was a decent price point for this type of tech.

tap'n on my S5
I don't know what they're charging for the stand alone units, but this thing requires you to own one specific $700ish dollar phone to even use it. Maybe I just don't make enough money, but almost $200 on top of that?

I just ordered Google cardboard on amazon for $10 & there are videos on how to make your own.

I'm sure they'll have exclusive content & everything else & maybe I'll have a different opinion after seeing Google's proof of concept, but I doubt it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

soulpatch

Reaction score
I cant see using this accessory daily or a couple times a week to make it worth the money. I would use it once or twice for the novelty and that would be it. Its not like I can use it in the car, office, home while watching tv, ect. I mean I guess it would be good so that the wife knows to leave me alone... ha ha.

They would haev to really put some smart tech into it. I would rather wait for the full blown Oculus that works with various other items to immerse you.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Comment to wife last night:

"Hon, why do I smell burnt hair? Are you making dinner or are you using your Samsung VR again?"

tap'n on my S5
Didn't you mean straightening her hair or using the vr? Lol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Leave it to Zeiss. Nice. What did I say about "fit kits"? L well the Zeiss" drawers "is exactly what I meant. Geez. Think they some my idea from two days ago and whipped this up that quick? Might have to sue for (no) patent infringement... Lol

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Well, that scenario would make more sense, but she's got much less experience cooking than she does straightening her hair. LOL

tap'n on my S5