[Rumor] Samsung's Galaxy S III May to Get Jelly Bean in the Fourth Quarter

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s3-jelly-bean.jpeg

According to a new rumor, the new Samsung Flagship, the Galaxy S III may be one of the first non-Nexus-style devices to get Android 4.1/Jelly Bean, and it will likely happen as early as Q4 of this year. Of course, the device will likely still have TouchWiz as well, and that is the primary reason why it may take a few months. Earlier, we reported that the Nexus S will officially be getting the Jelly Bean update, and of course the other Nexus devices like the G-Nex will as well.

It's not surprising, yet is still appreciated to see that Samsung may be moving quickly to bring Jelly Bean to the SGS3.

Thanks for the tip, Astrix!

Source: S3Forums via TalkAndroid

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I wonder if Motorola phones will get JB earlier, since ICS on their phones is so close to stock.

skennelly

Reaction score
I wonder if Motorola phones will get JB earlier, since ICS on their phones is so close to stock.

Doubtful... Motorola runs motoblur instead of touchwiz, plus look how long it has taken them to get ics on the razor.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Actually, for a phone that isn't in consumer's hands yet for many people in the US, 4th quarter doesn't sound that impressive to me. Aren't new release phones (Incredible 4G) starting to ship with ICS now?

skennelly

Reaction score
Actually, for a phone that isn't in consumer's hands yet for many people in the US, 4th quarter doesn't sound that impressive to me. Aren't new release phones (Incredible 4G) starting to ship with ICS now?

Yes, and the S III is shipping with ICS. This is talking about Jelly Bean 4.1 if you had read the op.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doubtful... Motorola runs motoblur instead of touchwiz, plus look how long it has taken them to get ics on the razor.

Dont take this the wrong way....but maybe you missed this part?

Has stock ICS app drawer for the most part, stock launcher for the most part, lots of stock ICS shines thru on ICS for the RAZR.... I'm guessing thats why tjk629 made that statement.

And...seeing as it has ICS officially before the Rezound and other phones with similar specs released around the same time on other carriers...I wouldnt just brush off Motorola and update quickness. If you look at it from all 4 carriers...Motorola isnt too bad with updates, support.

skennelly

Reaction score
And...seeing as it has ICS officially before the Rezound and other phones with similar specs released around the same time on other carriers...I wouldnt just brush off Motorola and update quickness. If you look at it from all 4 carriers...Motorola isnt too bad with updates, support.

This may be accurate, but I have had the droid x for a long time now. It was always loaded with blur and bloat. I can't speak as to samsung's updates. However, I know the S3 will be unlockable and I will not have to rely on samsung for my updates. Unfortunately for motorola owner's, they will never have this luxury.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
See so far I see you based your comment on:

The Droid X1, that has a totally different version of Blur.

Boot loaders.

Even with the boot loader situation with Motorola phones, many had an ICS ROM before the official OTA.

skennelly

Reaction score
See so far I see you based your comment on:

The Droid X1, that has a totally different version of Blur.

Boot loaders.

Even with the boot loader situation with Motorola phones, many had an ICS ROM before the official OTA.

Not completely as you have to use moto's kernel. A moto phone with a locked bootloader can never have a truly custom rom.

TatDroid

Reaction score
skennelly said:
Yes, and the S III is shipping with ICS. This is talking about Jelly Bean 4.1 if you had read the op.

Yep, my mistake. I was thinking ICS, not Jelly Bean...

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
This may be accurate, but I have had the droid x for a long time now. It was always loaded with blur and bloat. I can't speak as to samsung's updates. However, I know the S3 will be unlockable and I will not have to rely on samsung for my updates. Unfortunately for motorola owner's, they will never have this luxury.

The bootloader is a non-issue I believe or atleast getting there. a group of devs have already cracked the bootloader for the newer Moto devices as far as I know.