1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[RUMOR] Samsung to Make the Next Nexus...Yes, Again

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Apr 25, 2012.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

We are going to throw this one up as rumor. According to DigiTimes and Industry insiders, "Google Inc is cooperating with Samsung as its primary production partner for the launch of its second and third own-brand smartphones."

Keep in mind folks that DigiTimes has missed the boat on more than one occasion, and this is only one source. If the decision on the next manufacturer has not been made yet, you can bet it is going to happen very very soon. We'll keep our eyes peeled for reliable information that will verify the veracity of this rumor. Does it matter who makes the next Nexus, or is there a preference? Perhaps Motorola? Maybe HTC again? We want to hear from you.

Source: DigiTimes
  2. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

i personally would love to see moto .. but they would have to unlock bootloaders. which i dont see happening. rather have HTC then samsung though. so far not impressed with the samsung galaxy nexus
  3. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

We're talking about the same Google that was rumored to have made a recent statement about NOT using Samsung as a partner anymore for it's flagship devices due to inconsistent build quality and persistent software bugs, right?
  4. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

lets take a look back at memory lane at motorola's first (unofficial nexus like) vanilla "android saving" "deity of android" Droid.

We just saw how great the og droid was and I think its long over due for a motorola branded nexus or another motorola droid (the unlocked on we all know and love).dancedroid
  5. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Really?
  6. bens42608

bens42608 New Member

I have this overwhelming feeling of nostalgia today for that first Droid that changed the world. I miss that og but I am proud. It might sound stupid but I'd love for them to re-release the og Droid but with a larger screen, thinner, 4g lte, the tegra CPU, & a gig of ram, with an unlocked bootloader and devs can all flock to it, creating all kinds of Roms n goodies for us to play with- like it used to be. -golden accents, very thin physical keyboard, no more blur, etc
    God I'm daydreaming.
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    2 people like this.
  7. pc747

Maybe we should all call/email/petition vzw about it and maybe they may cave .... ;)
  8. sbenson

sbenson New Member

It's only a matter of time until Android and Nokia become friends. Once this happens, it will end all talk of who should get the Nexus. Could you imagine the Lumina 900 as a Nexus device running 4.0 right now?
  9. empoweredh22

empoweredh22 New Member

It's called the Droid Razr. :-D

Didn't we find out that any company that wants to can submit a prototype/proposal device to Google when we went through the g-nex cycle? Because if I remember right HTC and LG had both also submitted prototypes but Google chose to go with Sammy's design. I don't think Moto had even submitted a design according to the info I had seen.
  10. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

I've got no issue if Samsung makes it again. I'd like to see a lesser known get a shot though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  11. pc747

Though I really wanted motorola to get it I would not be surprised if they passed. Like I said before, I believe moto's aim is to replace blackbeey and become the premiere phone for business customers.

Maybe samsung having another crack at this may be a good thing. Htc's first lte device (tbolt) had its share of bugs but they learned from it and made an awesome improvement in the rezound. Samsung may learn from the complaints they had about the charge and the first nexus radios (whether it be hardware, software, or a fluke) they will be able to learn and hopefully improve. Because if you take the radio issue out the equation then the galaxy nexus what honest complaint would users have (yeah that open ended). But the reality is the biggest flaw/complaint has been the issues many customers were experiencing with the radios. If samsung does make another nexus hopefully we see a step up in improving how the nexus holds on to the lte signals.

Oh by the way wasnt there a story that google was going to make its own phone through motorola.
  12. empoweredh22

empoweredh22 New Member

Tbolt wasn't a nexus device, but the Nexus One was a Nexus device made by HTC.
  13. sbenson

sbenson New Member

He said first LTE device, not nexus.
  14. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Yes there was...that was well over a year ago. Good memory :)
  15. funwheeldrive

funwheeldrive New Member

I want to see a nexus phone made by Asus to go along with their tablet.
  16. techRob

techRob New Member

funwheeldrive has a good point - an asus one would be interesting :)

Myself... I would like to see a Moto one; with the battery of the razr maxx (preferably removable to boot), and the sturdy hardware design that seem to always be there with moto-phones (at least it was for the OG Droid - I haven't paid a lot of attention to them, sorry if I'm a little off base), drop a screen no bigger than the GNexus.... Okay, so I just described the GNexus in a Moto shell w/a Moto battery :biggrin: ..what can I say, I'm extremely happy with this phone. (naturally i'd love to see some component improvements, but that's where my knowledge falls short with these things...I've been out of the loop too long). But I would like to see what Moto could come up with - as long as it's not as thin as the Razr....it's just too thin, doesn't feel right / natural...needs *some* meat on it. I want me a Marilyn Monroe phone! :D (lol sorry...it was going through my head and I had to make the reference)... please don't ban / discipline me :blink:
  17. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

We can all learn something here. Google buys Motorola mobility and won't make a Motorola Google phone. This is why I will never own another Motorola device.
  18. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

I wouldn't mind another samsung nexus. I'm surprised they didn't go Moto, being as they own the company and all...
  19. pc747

yeah but remember this is not official its a rumor so dont get to bummed or committed.
  20. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I'd tend to agree. I'd also add that Google may be very leery of giving Moto a flagship Nexus at risk of alienating its other partners. Too much concern over showing favoritism, so they'll dish out the Nexus gravy elsewhere.