[Rumor] Samsung May Move Galaxy S5 Launch Up to January Due to Weak Galaxy S4 Sales

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
rumored-sgs5-render.jpg

Here's a strange rumor which we don't necessarily believe, but might be worth sharing. Supposedly, sales of the Samsung Galaxy S4 were weaker than Samsung expected/wanted. Because of this they are considering moving up the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S5 to January of 2014. Along with this rumor comes some additional intel. Here's a quote with more of the details,

It has now been 100 days, since they bragged about the first 20 million units shipped. If the 10 million units a month sales rate kept up, we should have passed a total of 50 million Galaxy S4s shipped mark sometime in late September, early October. And yet, we haven’t heard about Samsung passing the milestone of either 50 million, or 40 or 30 million SGS4s. And we most certainly would have, if they’ve had anything to be proud about.

Now Korean site joseilbo.com reports that Samsung’s management is taking steps to accelerate things again, by pushing S4’s successor – Galaxy S5 launch date to January, with availability in February, from the scheduled March/April.

Earlier rumors suggested that Samsung Galaxy S5 will have Exynos 5430 64-bit CPU, 16 megapixel camera with optical image stabilization, new design and fully metallic chassis.

As you can see, if the source of this info can be trusted it confirms earlier rumors of a metal case design, but also shares that the SGS5 will come with a far more robust camera and a 64-bit Samsung processor. For the most part we remain highly skeptical of most of this info, but we will continue to report any further evidence which might corroborate any of it.

Source: UnWiredView

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You don't just move-up a product launch months ahead of schedule.

Anyway, I guess Sammie is finding out consumers aren't that anxious to open their wallet for marginal upgrades any more.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

Anyway, I guess Sammie is finding out consumers aren't that anxious to open their wallet for marginal upgrades any more.

Every company thinks great sales numbers on a couple of devices means put more out faster, but thats not it. These things are expensive so normal people get one every two years. Very few will drop the full price to get a new one. Also, like me, I went to a new category of phones with the Note 3. I won't be buying an S4, S5 or even S6. Plus, many people will buy a device until it dies. I dunno, not every phone be a super success.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I couldn't believe that the rumors had any validity behind them when word started circulating that the S4 would drop in February considering that the SIII only arrived last September. The push to deliver on more than an annual cycle is foolish unless you are talking about major changes, which of course may only alienate your customers, i.e., Droid 3 owners once the Bionic launched with 4G and ICS. Clearly some of the people at the top are either delusional, under so much pressure that they kowtow to others who don't understand the market, or some blend of both. If you want to keep the excitement up follow what you've been doing. One standard-size flagship and one "other" flagship of some sort every six months or so. No reason Sammy can't stagger the release of the new Galaxy, the Note, and the Note tablets to keep interest up the right way.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This is the business model they've chosen, to do slight upgrades that don't necessarily warrant a new phone and yet they're disappointed with sales. Don't really understand what they were expecting when they decided to emulate Apple's model.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Smartphones are becoming like computers. When I bought my first IBM PC clone computer 30 years ago, it was way too slow and with way too few capabilities. I got my last desktop computer 3 years ago and it is still more than fast enough for what I use it for and it wasn't even near top of the line 3 years ago. The difference between my OG Droid and my HTC One is huge and I can see myself still being happy with the One in 2 years. The Droid was a dog long before 2 years was up. Once the speed of computer devices get fast enough then the vast majority of people are happy with what they have for 2 years or more. Not everyone just has to have the latest and fastest as soon as something new comes out, especially when the old one is doing fine. I'm not going to complain to the ends of the earth about lag when it takes an entire second for a web page to load.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was different with the Droid. That was under-powered almost from the start.

I've had my Rezound for about 21 months now. Haven't seen anything that compels me to upgrade, although it's been a bit buggy lately (probably need to reflash my rom). I am maxing out memory, and the new phones with 2 gigs ram would probably be great...for a few years. I'm waiting for something with 4gigs or more of ram...and SD!!!! Especially if I decide to pay retail to keep unlimited (though I'm on wifi so much that's not the best economic decision to pay retail).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is the business model they've chosen, to do slight upgrades that don't necessarily warrant a new phone and yet they're disappointed with sales. Don't really understand what they were expecting when they decided to emulate Apple's model.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Exactly; they rag on apple for doing it, sale phones based on people agreeing, and then they decide to follow in the model of apple that they made fun of. Oh well... I am still hoping Motorola can some how find their way. I love my note 2 probably will end up getting a note 4 but I am interested in possibly trying a different oem. LG has peaked my interest as I like the direction they went with the G2. HTC going to non removable battery and non expandable memory is not my cup of tea. What I do like about samsung is they build a device that specs wise will keep up with the market for 2 years vs what Motorola has been putting out.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Exactly; they rag on apple for doing it, sale phones based on people agreeing, and then they decide to follow in the model of apple that they made fun of. Oh well... I am still hoping Motorola can some how find their way. I love my note 2 probably will end up getting a note 4 but I am interested in possibly trying a different oem. LG has peaked my interest as I like the direction they went with the G2. HTC going to non removable battery and non expandable memory is not my cup of tea. What I do like about samsung is they build a device that specs wise will keep up with the market for 2 years vs what Motorola has been putting out.
I may highly consider a Moto device for my next phone should they continue down the path they're on now. They've taken themselves out of the hardware race to concentrate on user experience. I remember not too long ago many of us complained about Moto's specs and their new core, yet their new lineup happens to provide the smoothest user experience around and can run with the big quad-core phones. If Moto maybe bumps up specs a little, such as screen resolution, then they're really onto something imo. Their build quality is second to none and from the looks of it their UI/skin seems to look very minimal, but filled with useful functions.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I thought it was reported that the S4 had record breaking sales??? That isn't good enough??? And they are really getting bad with saturating the market. hey do it with tablets. And now are gonna do it with phones. So if this is correct you should still be able to choose between the SIII, S4 and S5 at the same time. On top of the Note 2 and Note 3. Ugh!!!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought it was reported that the S4 had record breaking sales??? That isn't good enough??? And they are really getting bad with saturating the market. hey do it with tablets. And now are gonna do it with phones. So if this is correct you should still be able to choose between the SIII, S4 and S5 at the same time. On top of the Note 2 and Note 3. Ugh!!!

And there are still rumors floating around that they'll introduce their own OS at some point, getting away from Android exclusivity. How's that Apple lawsuit loss working out for ya Samsung? Apple?
Though the market is currently flooded with ios and Samsung mostly right now the others, minus HTC I'd course, have really upped their game in response. Next year should be a very good year for consumers to have quality choices for the first time in a while.

Support Our Troops!!!
<
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

WestOkid

Reaction score
Why rush out a half-baked product? Samsung reported record profits. A large part can be attributed to Galaxy S sales. However, it didn't replace Apple as some analysts predicted it would. Like it or not, Apple is a "luxury" brand and people relish the perception of luxury attached to owning an iPhone. I think Samsung's biggest problem is that they try to please everyone. They build 100's of crappy phones and tablets and attach the Galaxy moniker to them. They will not cut into Apple sales that way. So many people I know, get confused and buy these cheap Samsung phones with "Galaxy" in the name only to be disappointed with Samsung altogether. I mean, are they Apple or Kyocera? If they just focus on their resources on the annual updates to the Galaxy S and Note lines, they would be better off.