[Rumor] Quad-core Google Nexus Tablet for $199 to be made by Asus?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wicked, Mar 4, 2012.

1. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

Is your transformer rooted?

I just bought the keyboard for it and first week the screen went red. It broke. So I had to return it because it beyond repair and I had to sell my keyboard.
  2. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

I don't see this happening. Fun rumor though. I think that if you want to buy a sub 7" tablet, buy a Kindle Fire or Nook and root it.
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Doesn't ASUS already use vanilla ICS on their Transformer Prime? Plus, their updates are pretty good and frequent. Though I have to say, I'd probably like a 7" tablet more. The Prime we have is mostly my wife's and I find it to be a little large at times.
  4. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

It's more or less "vanilla" with some asus stuff thrown in, but it didn't come with an unlocked bootloader, although asus released the unlock tool recently (with voided warranty included)
  5. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer DF Super Moderator Premium Member

I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. 10" preferably.
  6. 77Pat

77Pat New Member

I was already considering a Nook Tablet (like that it is open to any ebooks) or a Kindle Fire (for some reason I was anti-Itunes and kept away from Apple, but I do not mind having a lot of the Amazon Cloud services).

I did read about the MeMO 370T at $250, which this could be similar to.

I believe it is a smart choice going with Asus considering that they are the ODM for a lot of notebooks and have a solid history for quality.
  7. AuxiliaryPie

AuxiliaryPie New Member

This will happen, IMO. Google made the Nexus One with bleeding edge specs to make the Android market competitive and it has worked wonders for them. Now they need (IMO) a push to tablet makers to stop telling the market that $399 is a "bargain" priced tablet. The only way to beat apple at the tablet game is to slaughter the price differential
  8. lgwhitlock

lgwhitlock New Member

I would definitely consider it especially if the bootloader was unlocked. I hate trying to change ROM's on locked bootloaders. The price certainly is good...
  9. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

If it had a keyboard dock accessory as well, I would be in.
  10. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm totally with you on the lame "competition" with the iPad (it will be really interesting to see if Apple produces a smaller tablet). I even predicted 2 years back that Android tablets would be priced well under the iPad -- and then my jaw completely dropped when the Xoom came out. The price on the Samsung Galaxy Tab didn't help any either. On the positive side, though, Asus undercut the competition with the 16GB Transformer at $400. Sure, it's more than your average netbook, but...

...I sometimes wonder if the rumors of Apple's chokehold on the supply/manufacturing chain are true. It *is* hard to justify Android tablet prices. Something important to keep in mind: the Kindle Fire broke the price floor, ONLY BECAUSE (a) it's a 7" device, and (b) it has fewer features than the nicer 10" tablets. If the specs on this Google tablet prove true and it's $199, maybe it will help.

-Matt
  11. sb1831

sb1831 Member

Asus Memo with a $50 price drop subsidized by Google in some way? Yeah I could potentially see this happening. I still think the $250 price point for the Memo is entirely more realistic with Vanilla Android though.
  12. AirPlayit

AirPlayit New Member

This is great. if possible10 inch model will be an option.