1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[Rumor] Quad-core Google Nexus Tablet for $199 to be made by Asus?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wicked, Mar 4, 2012.

1. wicked

wicked Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

The latest rumors on the internet suggests Google plans to release a 7-inch $199 Nexus tablet. This rumor comes from two different industry sources who AndroidAndMe talked to at Mobile World Congress. As they have provided reliable information in the past, AndroidAndMe believes the sources are trustworthy. However, the sources rightfully want to remain anonymous.

According to the source, the tablet will be manufactured by ASUS and feature a 7-inch display along with the latest Google Android operating system (Ice Cream Sandwich). Inside, the rumored device features NVIDIA’s quad-core Tegra 3 processor.

Selling a full-featured Android tablet with all of Google’s mobile services and a quad-core Tegra 3 processor for only $199 would definitely bring some sales for Google and ASUS. It wouldn’t surprise us if there a 10 inch model was released and priced at $299 at the minimum. Sounds good don't it? Would you get one? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Source: Transformer Forums via AndroidandMe
  2. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Damn! Are these tablets getting to become the size of tables now?

j/k! Just joking about the title ;)
  3. Axium

Axium New Member

Well, you can't spell tablet without table :p

Sent from my GALAXY NEXUS using DroidForums
  4. Javaknight

Javaknight New Member

for those prices I'd buy one in a heartbeat:icon_ lala:
  5. wicked

wicked Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

haha, good eyes tjk. Title fixed. :D

Wonder what a Nexus TABLE would be like... lol
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

You know....With how thin phones are becoming and edge-to-edge displays with no bezel it may not be long before we see a tri-fold phone that transforms into a tablet. Think of it folded in thirds, operating like a normal, albeit much thicker, smartphone. Then you unfold it, activating the other two screens, to get a tablet with 3X the screen area, or an 8"+ screen size.

I should patent this before Apple does!
  7. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Probably like Microsoft Surface. Which IMO would rock!
  8. meishkov

meishkov New Member

I'd definitely get the tablet. I'm going crazy debating whether to pull the trigger and get a Transformer Prime, but from the sound of this article, why not wait and get a stocked up one for a good price?? Only thing I'd have to debate then is whether to get the 7" or the 10" one, if they release it for $100 more like speculated. That is weird that GOOG would team up with ASUS even tho they've got MOTO's mobile patent portfolio. I guess they figure MOTO isn't doing that well in the tablet market so might as well capitalize on it. When's a MOTO and GOOG-only inspired phone gonna hit the shelves, since they are one in the same technically as far as mobile devices??
  9. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Yea i'd pick on up been waiting to buy my first car before making any other type of purchase but hoping to have enough for my car this summer so i'd definately be willing to buy a quad core tab then especially at only 199!
  10. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

Oh yeah this makes total sense... /begin sarcasm First it completely jibes with the previous news that Google wanted to handle the hardware themselves...or, oh wait...supposedly Asus is making it. OK, forget that. And well second, of course after announcing their own quad/quint core sub-10" tablet, it makes complete sense that Asus would completely undercut their own marketing plan by making a competing model for Google. /end sarcasm

I dunno...I think I'm taking this one with a huge grain of salt.

-Matt
  11. GDP

GDP New Member

I don't see this happening

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  12. samiusmc

samiusmc New Member

I've been waiting for a good tablet to come out that doesn't have the issues associated with the Prime. I'd get this one.
  13. RedTarget

RedTarget New Member

... I can't seem to find the pre-order button anywhere... lol!

Yeah, i'd have to say I'd order one. I have a 10" tablet and as much as I like it, having a 7" tablet would be a bit more portable. Especially if it's a Quad Core Tegra 3 nexus device. I'm sure that the amount of onboard memory is not going to be very high, so as long as there's a SD slot I think it would be perfect.
  14. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member Premium Member

200 bucks? I'd buy in a heartbeat! I'd rather have a 10.1 inch one though for a legit keyboard dock.. but oh well. DancingNexus
  15. jmcdonald

jmcdonald New Member

I'd definitely buy one, maybe two for the kids if this were legit. I've been seriously considering getting a Prime for awhile. Although, I don't see ASUS cannibalizing their own Transformer sales by completely undercutting their own branded product for the sake of El Goog. It just doesn't make sense. If Google wants to release their own Nexus tablet, Motorola seems a more likely partner since Moto tablets have been all but non-existent in the sales category. The Xoom didn't do well because it was overpriced and the Xyboards, well the name speaks for itself. If that happens I'll have to think long and hard before buying another Moto product.
  16. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Agreed. But Asus might be willing to take a loss or lower profits to capitalize on the hype and promotion surrounding the next Google Nexus tablet. The Prime and Transformer are on the cutting edge, but making a Nexus would put Asus in front of a lot of consumers and also legitimatize the brand as I suspect they are still largely unknown to the average consumer. Basically take a hit to capture market share.
  17. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team Premium Member Developer

Name the time & place i will be there @ release

I cant wait i already have 200$ set aside for this beutiful tablet ...this will make apple all fuzzy inside when they see this
  18. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team Premium Member Developer

I agree with you on this one man this would be awsome if it had a sd card slot
  19. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Asus? Nexus? Tablet (or table)? Yes, please.

My TFP is a beast, if you made it a Nexus tablet, I would throw my money at Google/ASUS. haha
  20. benb1974

benb1974 New Member

If I were Google, I would sell them for $100, just to piss off apple. Or have they patented being assholes too.