[RUMOR] Nexus Tablet Is A "Done Deal" and Priced To Sell

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
AsusNexus.jpeg

This one is filed under rumor because details are scarce but much was revealed. The rumor comes from a senior employee at a supply chain company based in the US, who claims “it’s a done deal.” The most surprising and exciting rumor about the tablet is it's price. At a lean and mean $149.00, a lot of units should fly off the shelves and consumers wallets will be spared in the process. You're probably thinking at this price something had to be sacrificed, and you'd be correct. According to the source the Tegra 3 has been scrapped. What processor will replace the Quad Core was not revealed, but the tablet may see a TI-OMAP or perhaps something from Qualcomm's Snapdragon family. With chatter of Google working on “a tablet of the highest quality” it should be interesting to see what ASUS's final product ends up packing in the hardware department.

One outstanding question is if the the ASUS MeMo 370T was scrapped and replaced with the lower spec'd "Nexus Tablet." There are plenty of consumers who'd be willing to spring $249.00 on a Quad Core Tablet, so hopefully there is an option for more power under the hood. With the possibility of a lower spec'd Nexus Tablet does that change your mind on purchasing the device, or would you still be happy with a Dual Core from Qualcomm/TI OMAP?

Via: Android Tablets

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
Dual Core is A-O.K. with me. Look at all the dual core phones out now, they handle anything and everything. especially for $150!

ka1z0ku

Reaction score
As a current Asus Transformer Prime owner, I would not buy a Nexus Tablet with lesser specs, i.e. dual-core processor, less RAM, etc. If they do have a premium, higher-power option for a little more, I'd definitely go that route.

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
I'd purchase one for the wife and kids. I do actually use my Transformer Prime for more than just a gaming, music and internet toy. AutoCAD, Video and photo editing, on the go etc. which even honestly I could probably get away with those tasks on that but likely not as quickly.

JoeeDB

Reaction score
The 2 Nexus phones have been great with great specs. If the Nexus tablet is anything less, it will be a disappointment no matter what the price.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Forgive my skepticism, but I can't imagine any tablet of any remotely up to date technology being sold for $150.

edit: ...without taking some major technological or hardware related shortcuts somewhere! :)

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
Forgive my skepticism, but I can't imagine any tablet of any remotely up to date technology being sold for $150.

edit: ...without taking some major technological or hardware related shortcuts somewhere! :)

google has the cash to absorb the hit. this tablet will be all about getting android in the hands of millions and give android a good name, which is priceless to google

steveil

Reaction score
I would be very interested at that price point. Worst thing I could do is give to my wife.

jerkwad

Reaction score
google has the cash to absorb the hit. this tablet will be all about getting android in the hands of millions and give android a good name, which is priceless to google

exactly...they are going to have to subsidize these tablets quite heavily. this is very similar to what Microsoft's approach to Windows 8 on mobile phones. They said they will be offering top-tier Win8 phones for far less than what we are paying for top-tier Android phones. It's about getting it into the hands of the consumer and hoping for repeat business. Plus, google gets a little bit of money from each app purchase from the market. If they can flood the market with cheap tablets people are more likely to buy some apps for a few bucks here and there and eventually it will pay for itself AND have the benefit of better brand recognition when it is time to update - you know, in like 3 months, like the apple products ;-)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know....for that price it could be interesting. If you think about what you use a tablet for and what you really need, this may not be that underpowered. I want a great display, but you really only need a front-facing VGA camera for chats and you don't need phone capability or 3G/4G, just wifi.

Then I don't know if internal storage is cheaper, but I'd just add a few USB ports or micro-sd slots for memory. A dual-core processor with 1gig ram is probably plenty sufficient. For $150 (if that works) that's a real nice media device for around the house and at the coffee shop.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I agree with Kodiak that it is a very nice price for the cost

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
As a current Asus Transformer Prime owner, I would not buy a Nexus Tablet with lesser specs, i.e. dual-core processor, less RAM, etc. If they do have a premium, higher-power option for a little more, I'd definitely go that route.

I'll have to agree. I'm very happy with my Prime and wouldn't want a tablet with lower specs. This tablet will see updates for a while as Asus is pretty good with updates as well as the dev community. For $150, less than a Kindle Fire, I can't see it being an amazing tablet. I bet it will run smooth and do great things, but I just can't see it competing at that price point with the iPad (which come on, you know thats what it is aiming at).

alboboy10

Reaction score
Its going to be a nexus. So how will it suck? Lol I don't understand how people actually think that other manufacturers can make better android products than GOOGLE themselves.

Google already said future androids will be cheaper. Their chrome book is selling for 300. Macs cost 1200 and up while crappy windows products cost a minimum of 500-600. The reason that people love Google is cause their products are cheaper than the competition and are good.

I bet this tablet, once it releases, will be better than any other android available. I won't even talk about the iPad cause I hate it.

Last edited:

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I would Buy 1 for sure maybe 2 cant wait to see this as a official announcement

npro1464

Reaction score
This helps me stop regretting not nabbing a touchpad when I had the chance. This will be a great Christmas gift.