[Rumor] New X Phone Rumor Suggests It is Not a Single Device, but a New Series

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola -X-Phone.jpg

Just in case you were wondering if all the news today would be Samsung related, we have something hot off the presses that might just distract you from the SGS4. A new rumor has hit the shadows suggesting that the new Motorola X Phone isn't just one single device, but will be a new series. Basically, the new X Phone will be a lineup of killer flagship devices in the vein of the Galaxy series or the Nexus series, except it will be Motorola's baby. This actually makes a ton of sense and isn't really too surprising if you think about it deeper. Why create an excellent and mysterious new brand name if you aren't planning on capitalizing on it?

Supposedly the first in this new series of Motorola X Phones will arrive in June of this year, and will likely be announced at (or around) the same time as Google I/O. There's more too. Apparently, this new X Phone lineup will come with a guarantee of at least one “full Android version” update after the purchase of the phone. Additionally, this update will be handled by Motorola and not by the carriers. We are still not done yet. Additionally, the X line will be sold in an unnamed major online retail store. Most of the industry speculation suggests the obvious answer is the Google Play Store. Of course, this makes perfect sense because Google owns Motorola.

Wait! There's still more intel with this report! Apparently, this new X Phone lineup will actually be user customizable "a la carte" style before you purchase. In other words, the color, and some of the internal tech of your device (like RAM and internal storage), will be chosen by you at the time of purchase. Furthermore, it appears that you will be able to choose if you want an unlocked bootloader and/or SIM!

We will let you breathe for a moment so your head doesn't explode...

Finally, the cherry at the top of this delicious dessert is that this first new phone will have an eight-core processor, and one of those cores will be dedicated to “Motorola’s new human language system.” This last part seems as over-the-top as a broadway play sponsored by Samsung. Well... we did say it was a rumor didn't we?

Oh yeah... there was just one more crumb of sugar to share... supposedly, this new lineup will be heavily subsidized by Motorola/Google so it will be remarkably affordable for what you get. That's really it this time. No more craziness to share. Feel free to start breathing again. Also, please do make sure you realize this could all be the ravings of some lunatic fan. Still, if just a couple of these pieces of information turn out to be remotely true, then the X Phone really will be the game-changer the Android world has been clamoring for.

Source: UnWiredView

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is the natural next step in phone design for the consumer. Everyone likes personal customization and making a dozen different models in the hopes they will all sell and meet everyones' needs is futile. Look how well the "Build-Your-Own" concept worked for Dell (back when it was on the top of its game). You go online, "build" your computer, it priced according to your options, then created an invoice with a unique identifier. This unique identifier immediately identified the various options you chose at time of creation, so that when you called for technical support, the rep could see exactly what you had and could provide far better support, "customized" to your custom box.

The thing that may be difficult with this model for phone design is the modular feature of a computer is rather easy to administer on the assembly line...nobody was really concerned if the computer weighed 7 pounds or 8, or if it was 7.5" thick or 9". There was no "display" on the box so the size wasn't display-dependent, and of course no battery - whether internal or removable. And of course, there's LOTS of space inside a CPU chassis, whereas these phones may not have but a cubic centimeter or so (maybe less) of actual "air space" internally. Not to mention cost of having a wide variety of components that need to be "added" or "removed" depending on the consumer's preferences (and their sizes - tiny). Making them modular seems to be counter-intuitive.

How this COULD work is to have one motherboard with all the options installed, and then have "fusible links" internally that when a voltage is applied across certain contacts or digitally "executed" by way of transistors and commands, certain components are permanently disabled. This way, at the factory the entire customization could be handled and automated via either a "port" on the motherboard or a row of surface contacts, or even simply through a program that's operated via the external USB port.

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Already burned out on all the hype for this phone... errr... series...

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I'll get an S4 first then get this X phone at the end of the year. ;)

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Well the old legacy devices are basically out the door so the next thing they release is the true Googlerola lineup.
If it's true... Motorola's gonna have a winnahhhh!

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Sounds like my next upgrade date of 10/20 will be just about right... if this does launch in the Summer, I should know exactly what I'll want by then.

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
This sounds like a pretty cool idea. I want a big screen though and the phone will have to be pretty amazing to beat the Note 3 which I am planning on. I was wondering what the next step in phone design would be and "build your own" is a very cool idea.

Sent from my Note 2 using the Droid Forums App

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
If this is true, I'll be sticking with Motorola.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for someone to do this for a while.

Makes perfect sense, and you're not talking a huge amount of customization - 2, 4, or 8 core processors....1 or 2 gigs ram...maybe choice of 3 screen sizes.

And oddly enough, since VZW no longer subsidizes unlimited plans this phone may have been where I would have gone all along, anyway.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Now that you have a huge refund from the IRS coming you can do that....oh wait

Glad yall did because the irs reminded me of all the stuff that was passed as I was taxed out the wazzooo. Well since you got a lot back how bout you hit that donate button and help me out :p.

give-donate-button.gif

djspy

Reaction score
I'm liking this. I wouldn't mind paying $400 for a huge battery, 1080 display, premium build materials and 2+ gigs of RAM. I read the " starter model would start at $200 off contract. This is the way to go, build it to your liking.