[Rumor] New X Phone Rumor Suggests It is Not a Single Device, but a New Series

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 15, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Just in case you were wondering if all the news today would be Samsung related, we have something hot off the presses that might just distract you from the SGS4. A new rumor has hit the shadows suggesting that the new Motorola X Phone isn't just one single device, but will be a new series. Basically, the new X Phone will be a lineup of killer flagship devices in the vein of the Galaxy series or the Nexus series, except it will be Motorola's baby. This actually makes a ton of sense and isn't really too surprising if you think about it deeper. Why create an excellent and mysterious new brand name if you aren't planning on capitalizing on it?

Supposedly the first in this new series of Motorola X Phones will arrive in June of this year, and will likely be announced at (or around) the same time as Google I/O. There's more too. Apparently, this new X Phone lineup will come with a guarantee of at least one “full Android version” update after the purchase of the phone. Additionally, this update will be handled by Motorola and not by the carriers. We are still not done yet. Additionally, the X line will be sold in an unnamed major online retail store. Most of the industry speculation suggests the obvious answer is the Google Play Store. Of course, this makes perfect sense because Google owns Motorola.

Wait! There's still more intel with this report! Apparently, this new X Phone lineup will actually be user customizable "a la carte" style before you purchase. In other words, the color, and some of the internal tech of your device (like RAM and internal storage), will be chosen by you at the time of purchase. Furthermore, it appears that you will be able to choose if you want an unlocked bootloader and/or SIM!

We will let you breathe for a moment so your head doesn't explode...

Finally, the cherry at the top of this delicious dessert is that this first new phone will have an eight-core processor, and one of those cores will be dedicated to “Motorola’s new human language system.” This last part seems as over-the-top as a broadway play sponsored by Samsung. Well... we did say it was a rumor didn't we?

Oh yeah... there was just one more crumb of sugar to share... supposedly, this new lineup will be heavily subsidized by Motorola/Google so it will be remarkably affordable for what you get. That's really it this time. No more craziness to share. Feel free to start breathing again. Also, please do make sure you realize this could all be the ravings of some lunatic fan. Still, if just a couple of these pieces of information turn out to be remotely true, then the X Phone really will be the game-changer the Android world has been clamoring for.

Source: UnWiredView
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

:hail:
  3. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

Is it June yet?
  4. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

This is the natural next step in phone design for the consumer. Everyone likes personal customization and making a dozen different models in the hopes they will all sell and meet everyones' needs is futile. Look how well the "Build-Your-Own" concept worked for Dell (back when it was on the top of its game). You go online, "build" your computer, it priced according to your options, then created an invoice with a unique identifier. This unique identifier immediately identified the various options you chose at time of creation, so that when you called for technical support, the rep could see exactly what you had and could provide far better support, "customized" to your custom box.

The thing that may be difficult with this model for phone design is the modular feature of a computer is rather easy to administer on the assembly line...nobody was really concerned if the computer weighed 7 pounds or 8, or if it was 7.5" thick or 9". There was no "display" on the box so the size wasn't display-dependent, and of course no battery - whether internal or removable. And of course, there's LOTS of space inside a CPU chassis, whereas these phones may not have but a cubic centimeter or so (maybe less) of actual "air space" internally. Not to mention cost of having a wide variety of components that need to be "added" or "removed" depending on the consumer's preferences (and their sizes - tiny). Making them modular seems to be counter-intuitive.

How this COULD work is to have one motherboard with all the options installed, and then have "fusible links" internally that when a voltage is applied across certain contacts or digitally "executed" by way of transistors and commands, certain components are permanently disabled. This way, at the factory the entire customization could be handled and automated via either a "port" on the motherboard or a row of surface contacts, or even simply through a program that's operated via the external USB port.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 DF Administrator Staff Member

Bring it on! :)
  6. PereDroid

PereDroid Well-Known Member

Already burned out on all the hype for this phone... errr... series...
  7. wicked

wicked DF Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'll get an S4 first then get this X phone at the end of the year. ;)
  8. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

Well the old legacy devices are basically out the door so the next thing they release is the true Googlerola lineup.
    If it's true... Motorola's gonna have a winnahhhh!

[​IMG]
  9. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Now that you have a huge refund from the IRS coming you can do that....oh wait
  10. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Sounds like my next upgrade date of 10/20 will be just about right... if this does launch in the Summer, I should know exactly what I'll want by then.
  11. AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006 New Member

This sounds like a pretty cool idea. I want a big screen though and the phone will have to be pretty amazing to beat the Note 3 which I am planning on. I was wondering what the next step in phone design would be and "build your own" is a very cool idea.

Sent from my Note 2 using the Droid Forums App
  12. cobravnm13

cobravnm13 Well-Known Member

If this is true, I'll be sticking with Motorola.
  13. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for someone to do this for a while.

Makes perfect sense, and you're not talking a huge amount of customization - 2, 4, or 8 core processors....1 or 2 gigs ram...maybe choice of 3 screen sizes.

And oddly enough, since VZW no longer subsidizes unlimited plans this phone may have been where I would have gone all along, anyway.
  14. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Glad yall did because the irs reminded me of all the stuff that was passed as I was taxed out the wazzooo. Well since you got a lot back how bout you hit that donate button and help me out :p.

[​IMG]
  15. djspy

djspy Member

I'm liking this. I wouldn't mind paying $400 for a huge battery, 1080 display, premium build materials and 2+ gigs of RAM. I read the " starter model would start at $200 off contract. This is the way to go, build it to your liking.
  16. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Two phones I could see but how much you want to be it will be like 5 or 6 phones. Pointless.
  17. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

This all sounds great. Even if only a fraction of it is true. But I have a funny feeling if it is unlocked and sold by Google VZW will find a way to block it from being used on their network.

Tap'd from my N7
  18. djspy

djspy Member

That's my fear :( Verizon is evil like that.
  19. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

I think it would all device manufactures good to read rumors like these and try to make a device the delivers within the realm of possible.

- Give the people what they want -

While I doubt every aspect of this rumor has merit I am curious to see the first series of devices from the Google/Motorola amalgamation. I hope that at least one of the devices in the series includes a physical keyboard; I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up. I also hope that they've put an end to the embedded battery concept... if not in all the X phones at least in some. Samsung hasn't adopted the embedded battery paradigm so I don't see why it's necessary.

My only concern is that if the new device isn't going to be released until June the hype may decline not to mention that gives plenty of time for other companies to release phones that could steal the market and potential revenue.

I'm trying to remember, wasn't it Motorola that put a lot of hype into the honeycomb tablet that they finally called the XOOM and it pretty much flopped against the iPAD and Samsung Tab? Well maybe with Google added to the receipt history won't repeat itself with the X series devices.
  20. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Actually I think VZW is singing a different tune now. In the past I'm sure a big part of their motivation was loading it up with their bloatware. I think they've discovered they aren't making any money on that and, in fact, have shutdown their own app store.

Sooner or later rational thinking has to grab hold. Do they really want to give you a subsidized phone, or would they rather save that $300 and have you bring/buy your own? Turnover is much, much too low for them to spend that money to lock someone up that prefers a google phone.
Search tags for this page

give button

x phone series