[Rumor] Motorola’s Guy Kawasaki Hints at X Phone Personalization on Google+

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;hRz_XXEMPQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hRz_XXEMPQg[/video]​

We have an intriguing bit of speculative intel for you guys this afternoon. Guy Kawasaki, advisor to Motorola (formerly a marketing guru at Apple) posted a teasing question on his Google+ page yesterday. He asked, "Wouldn’t it be great if you could personalize your phone like this [see video below]?" The video, (shown above in our story), is of the amazing personalization options you get to go through when you buy a new Porsche. Obviously, on the surface, this doesn't seem to have anything to do with Androids so why are we sharing it?

With some extrapolation, deductive reasoning and plain old reading between the lines, these comments are amazingly timed. Could he be setting up a new marketing teaser for the X Phone series we heard rumors about recently? If you remember, those rumors suggested the new X Phone will actually be customizable before purchase. Obviously, this speculation is jumping to some big conclusions from what little we have to go on, but the logic isn't so far-fetched to be unbelievable.

This guy is the new Marketing advisor to Motorola. Directly after new rumors surfaced that the X Phone will be customizable, he posts this on his Google+ page. It could simply be an innocent comment of wishful thinking. Sometimes coincidences are just that and nothing more, but sometimes they are something else altogether...

Wouldn't it be great if you could personalize your phone like the video above?

Update: Just as FYI, a new story from PhoneArena apparently refutes this story partially. Their unnamed sources claim there eventually will be a customizable Motorola device, but the X Phone will not be that device. We aren't really sure what to make of it, so we didn't feel it was worth a whole new story. We did feel it was worth sharing just for the sake of complete disclosure. Share your thoughts.

Source: AndroidAuthority

Last edited:

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome.. This could be a real gamer changer dancedroid

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only way that can work is if it is Pure Google, and then you still might have issues with different components and what not, good luck getting updates for it, since there can be a number of different variances for the same device, wonder how they going to do that.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The only way that can work is if it is Pure Google, and then you still might have issues with different components and what not, good luck getting updates for it, since there can be a number of different variances for the same device, wonder how they going to do that.

That's a great point. Never thought about how that would impact those of us that use [rely on] custom roms.

I bet the "options", at least initially, are going to be more gimmick. Something like choice of two processors and 3 sizes of internal storage - essentially 2 or 3 phones with basic options we already see marketed as one.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'm betting they're taking advantage of the rf360 radio that's coming out. That way they can make different customized exterior styles of phone but the innards would only come in 2-3 flavors instead of several different phones for each global region.

Reaction score
Think of the possibilities. In an ideal world we'd have screen size options, battery size, processor, backplate, with/out dedicated camera button, and vanilla android/motoblur options. Basically making your phone what you'd want it to be lol.

But, let's be real here...

themuttt

Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome.. This could be a real gamer changer dancedroid

that's what gets me, not long ago one of the Google heads said they had one Moto phone left in the pipeline before Google's designs were coming out and it was not a game changer. Did they dump that phone? Are they going to release it along side the "X phone"? Is the X Phone not the game changer the rumors are making it to be? If it is customizable, is that the death nell for the Moto-VZW love affair?

This and much more, on As The Andy Turns LOL

Gremlin

Reaction score
So the thread is about the phone from Motorola, so why is the video about Porsche :p

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP Updated with a tidbit of new info.

Gremlin

Reaction score
I know.. I was just trying make some sort of humor out of it.. yes backfired on me sorry ...

equake

Reaction score
The commoditization of components necessitate going to a BTO model but unfortunately the supply chain still picks and chooses as in the case of htcs most recent snafu.

I would think samsung be in a better position to support this model

My 2 cents

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know.. I was just trying make some sort of humor out of it.. yes backfired on me sorry ...

Oops.... my bad! Sometimes the written word doesn't convey sarcasm very well. :)