[Rumor] Motorola Says Goodbye With New Ad Campaign; Moto X Maybe Coming August 1st

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
goodbye-moto-concept-ad-2.jpg

Sometimes it takes some really "out of the box" thinking to shake things up and get people's attention. Motorola's potential new advertising campaign might do just that with a unique and almost paradoxical focus/theme. Apparently, a new advertising campaign for Motorola was just outed on Behance.net by designer B.A. Bäkken. For now it isn't clear if Bäkken will be the one running this new campaign, but it seems possible.

That isn't the only thing that isn't clear about the new advertising campaign. For the most part it appears that Motorola might be going through a re-branding phase with the intent of completely transforming the company's image. The campaign is filled with a series of "Goodbye Moto" ads. In fact, one of them reads like a goodbye letter between old friends. Here's the contents,

We're not good at goodbyes. No one is. They're hard. And sad. But the time has come. After nearly a century of innovation, we must say farewell. Farewell to the first handheld cell phone. To the Razr. To the game snake. Farewell to the Motorola that has shaped today.

It's time to start building tomorrow. Change is afoot. New faces. New ideas. New technologies. The Motorola that returns will not be the company you once knew. But we have some work to do. So until we're ready, we're going away. No new ads or tweets. No site updates. Just silence until we begin the next chapter.

Until we meet again, goodbye Moto.

As you can see, the perspective of the advertising is one of change and rebirth. Speaking of rebirth, several of the images include a date on them: 8.1.13. This seems to suggest the new Motorola will be reborn on that date. It could also suggest the official launch of the new Moto X phone rumors have teased about for quite some time. Additionally, there seems to be two phases of these ads. The first phase is punctuated with a grim black appearance, while the second phase which begins with a friendly "hello again" is colorful and bright.

hello-again-concept-ad-3.jpg

Some of these new ads include some intriguing catch-phrases, like "Nothing won’t change," and "What could change? How about everything."

It's possible that this was an advertising campaign that was pitched to, but rejected by Motorola, so it may never see the light of day. It's also possible it could be part of the campaign to "leak" this info. We will keep a close watch on this to see if anything fruitful develops out of it. Be sure to hit up the source link to catch more of the pics.

Source: AndroidAuthority

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm all for intrigue and mystery. Motorola has been THE pioneer in portable communication - I was a Bell Atlantic Mobile Agent and sold the very first portable Cellular Phone, the Motorola DynaTac 8000X.

motorola_dynatac.jpg

I also sold and installed the original "Carphones", Motorola's 3-Watt transceiver (usually mounted under the dashboard or under a seat, or in some cases in the trunk), and the pedestal, flush-mount, or "Pro-Fit" dashboard mount cradles which held the coiled-cord phone handset with keypad buttons on the back.

Then there was the "Bagphone", nothing more than the Carphone with a 12 Volt Lead-Acid Gell-cell battery and a metal bracket placed into a rigid shoulder bag, and with a fold-out antenna.

ar134222341979772.png

I've seen it all, from the first installed Carphones to the incredible microcomputers we carry in our pockets today. I can't wait for what Motorola has to come.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
hello-again-concept-ad-3.jpg

Is it me or is the wording really clumsy?

Meh. Just show me the goods!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That seems likely FoxKat. Not sure what to make of that, but it is intriguing. Of course, this could all be just a bogus failed ad campaign pitch. We don't know for sure yet.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm all for intrigue and mystery. Motorola has been THE pioneer in portable communication - I was a Bell Atlantic Mobile Agent and sold the very first portable Cellular Phone, the Motorola DynaTac 8000X.

View attachment 64185

I also sold and installed the original "Carphones", Motorola's 3-Watt transceiver (usually mounted under the dashboard or under a seat, or in some cases in the trunk), and the pedestal, flush-mount, or "Pro-Fit" dashboard mount cradles which held the coiled-cord phone handset with keypad buttons on the back.

Then there was the "Bagphone", nothing more than the Carphone with a 12 Volt Lead-Acid Gell-cell battery and a metal bracket placed into a rigid shoulder bag, and with a fold-out antenna.

View attachment 64186

I've seen it all, from the first installed Carphones to the incredible microcomputers we carry in our pockets today. I can't wait for what Motorola has to come.
It only says one thing, damn you are OLD:biggrin::byepalm:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

ROFLOL! I may be "old(er)" but I'm not outdated!! My OS is constantly updated, the components are capable and the chassis is durable.

Note; There were so many "other" ways I could have taken that, but I contained myself...

xtor

Reaction score

Don't feel bad I sold pagers and trans portable phone's, my buddy and I were independent dealers, we were only aloud to sell for air touch, but we sold for others too.:), we also had some of the brick phone's on display.

11bravo

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
"The Motorola that returns will not be the company you once knew."

Will it be known as Google Mobile or something similar?
:icon_eek:

Rhino94

Reaction score
Goodbye Moto....hello Googorola!

I can't wait to see the next phone they release. Honestly I believe Google is putting a lot of money into Moto and they plan on changing the way the world knows Moto as of today. Google is in the process of bull dozing and major construction with the new Moto that we are about to see. If 8.1.13 is when we will see them again. I have a feeling they will come back with a whole new way of thinking and a whole new phone that can think or be apart of the competition that is laid out. A year or 2 ago Moto was not really competition to many people and now they are seeming like the kryptonite to everyone because of their relationship with Google.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well said! ^^ :rating10:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
@FoxKat

You forgot one thing, my bag phone had a corded handset. (Belongs in Ripley's) It was such an early phone that it only worked in the Tampa Bay Area of Florida. But it worked.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A year or 2 ago Moto was not really competition to many people and now they are seeming like the kryptonite to everyone because of their relationship with Google.

I think it really boils down to a failed effort to target the enterprise market. I don't think it was a bad idea, but they underestimated the brand influence on the handset choice - it was Apple, and then Sammie got into the mix. They thought being locked-down tight would appeal to IT, but ultimately IT wasn't driving the decision.