[Rumor] Motorola Droid X2 May have Lower Specs than Originally Thought

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think what we're seeing (are some very marginal upgrades to hold that magical $199 2-yr contract price. By rights the DX should be selling for less than $199 now, so instead they are going to upgrade the processor and memory a bit and likely maintain that price.

Looks like the OEM's are going to milk this gravy train as much as they can until, inevitably, the hardware is fully commoditized (at which point margins plummet from 100%? to like 5%).

Rather than lead with supply, they are going to follow demand as far as apps/OS demanding more power and better hardware. It's hard to argue with the strategy. While I'd pay retail for an LTE phone that has everything I want, we are probably a small % of the market. As a consumer you just sit here and say "my wallet is closed until you offer value to justify the upgrade". Quite honestly it's getting easier to sit here and not upgrade as I continue to see underwhelming improvements in specs.

I do travel a lot, so the LTE is something I really want and will get a lot of use out of, especially because I will tether in a pinch (hotel internet is an even a bigger rip-off than the mini-bar). So probably the Bionic for me retail, which isn't quite everything I want but then I'll decide what to do with my last NE2 6 months later.

Kanibull

Reaction score
hmmm where have i seen this before *compares the d2 to the d1*

Travillion

Reaction score
If you are required to purchase a 4G data plan with a 4G phone people in 3G areas probably don't want to buy a 4G phone, hence the need to maintain high-end 3G devices as well as 4G ones (which this rendition of the DX2 is not high-end, comparatively).

Higher 4G data plans have never been anything more than rumor and speculation. There is no indication the plan price is changing, and on the contrary some indication it will remain the same (which makes sense, although caps make sense, too, which they will probably end-up doing at some point).

What does look like will happen is the phone costs more and/or less subsidy. But you are also getting more than just LTE.

If data prices were going to be different, the TBolt wouldn't be offered for sale in 3G areas. It simply wouldn't make sense because it wouldn't sell with comparable 3G devices having a cheaper data plan.

I personally hope that 4G pricing doesn't change, but honestly? You think Verizon will offer this incredibly better service for the same price? I doubt it, not Verizon. I have heard the rumors that 4G will be priced the same as 3G, but I've also heard that will only be in the beginning to help it take off, and I've also heard rumors that there will be an additional $15 fee. You're right, nothing official has been announced, but for every rumor of the price staying the same, it's always qualified that it will only be an introductory offer or there's another rumor that there will be an additional surcharge.

If they won't charge more, why continue to make high-end 3G phones for people that don't want/can't access 4G since a 4G phone can run 3G just fine? The data plan is where they make their money, not the sale of the phone.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Wow! My wife owns a Droid X and we aren't even going to consider this phone if those are all the true upgraded features. People say the Thunderbolt is nothing more than a Evo 4G. While those two phones do lack some similarities, we don't have one for Verizon and the Evo 4G doesn't have LTE support. But the Droid X2 is a joke, we already have one of those on Verizon, its called the Droid X. Hopefully the info from the OP is inaccurate because that phone isn't going to sale so well.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
If you are required to purchase a 4G data plan with a 4G phone people in 3G areas probably don't want to buy a 4G phone, hence the need to maintain high-end 3G devices as well as 4G ones (which this rendition of the DX2 is not high-end, comparatively).

Higher 4G data plans have never been anything more than rumor and speculation. There is no indication the plan price is changing, and on the contrary some indication it will remain the same (which makes sense, although caps make sense, too, which they will probably end-up doing at some point).

What does look like will happen is the phone costs more and/or less subsidy. But you are also getting more than just LTE.

If data prices were going to be different, the TBolt wouldn't be offered for sale in 3G areas. It simply wouldn't make sense because it wouldn't sell with comparable 3G devices having a cheaper data plan.

I personally hope that 4G pricing doesn't change, but honestly? You think Verizon will offer this incredibly better service for the same price? I doubt it, not Verizon. I have heard the rumors that 4G will be priced the same as 3G, but I've also heard that will only be in the beginning to help it take off, and I've also heard rumors that there will be an additional $15 fee. You're right, nothing official has been announced, but for every rumor of the price staying the same, it's always qualified that it will only be an introductory offer or there's another rumor that there will be an additional surcharge.

If they won't charge more, why continue to make high-end 3G phones for people that don't want/can't access 4G since a 4G phone can run 3G just fine? The data plan is where they make their money, not the sale of the phone.

Well hopefully the prices do start out the same so that I can upgrade to a LTE service plan at the same price as my 3G plan and be grandfathered into that pricing. When they decide to raise prices I shouldn't be affected because I'm already under contract for the current 3G pricing.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
[

It does, but there's this thing called competition. LTE is not the only game in town. Yes, there are people who will pay more, and then there are people who will leave. Yes, they'll maximize revenues, but the other side of that equation being ignored when people talk about raising the price is how many people will pay the higher prices. It's entirely possible for VZW to make more money charging $30 than they would $35. And with people who leave VZW all together, it's a huge hit because they then also lose revenues on voice.

And as for upgrading their network, they have to do that to remain competitive.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I will gladly keep my "outdated, useless, slower" original Droid X...locked bootloader and all...especially if this last rumor turns out to be true.

I am in North Alabama, 4G LTE will not be in my area until late 2011 early 2012 at best...maybe even longer, so no 4G phone for me if it has to have a required 4G data plan. I dont need a dual core processor in my phone at this time...nor do I see any apps on the Market that will take serious advantage of dual core chips...everything has been written so far for the single core chips we all currently have...waste of money in other words.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This commercial signifies this thread: [video=youtube;eZAAZ7iXN-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZAAZ7iXN-o&feature=relmfu]YouTube - Best Buy® Buy Back Program: Outdated World[/video]

we are turning into iphone users, except at least iphone users can update to the new os that is installed on the new phones.

The problem is that the mfg rushed dual core out with out having the os ready and with out figuring using it to its full potential. Other than the LG optimus the other dual cores are basically worthless IMO. That is why I am choosing either TB and going 1 year or wait and see if LG actually turns out to be this years break out device.

[video=youtube;NnHykOcWKAg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NnHykOcWKAg]YouTube - LG Optimus 3D P920 - Overview: All about Superb Performance[/video]

kptphalkon

Reaction score
There are always idiots who think quantity is better than quality.

Just because it has more ram doesnt make the ram better, the bionic is far superior than the rumored specs of the x2.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I will gladly keep my "outdated, useless, slower" original Droid X...locked bootloader and all...especially if this last rumor turns out to be true.

I am in North Alabama, 4G LTE will not be in my area until late 2011 early 2012 at best...maybe even longer, so no 4G phone for me if it has to have a required 4G data plan. I dont need a dual core processor in my phone at this time...nor do I see any apps on the Market that will take serious advantage of dual core chips...everything has been written so far for the single core chips we all currently have...waste of money in other words.

Exactly - all of this great new technology impressed me for a little bit. Until, of course, I stepped back and realized there is almost nothing that can take advantage of it at the moment, and that the development time for something complex enough to need a dual-core processor is probably quite long :icon_eek:

huskur

Reaction score
Though i am a Droid X owner also i must say that the TB is very powerful spec'd out phone. Will i get one? Likely not. I think i will wait for a Moto product..... likely the Bionic. I am a fan of the LED notification lights which i find very hand on the Moto line of phones. Correct me if i am wrong...but does the Thunderbolt have LED notifications?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys re dx2 is built with the tegra 2. Th rumor is reported incorrectly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rybnik

Reaction score
Maybe just a little, but who can blame you. The D1 is like freedom in your palm. I'm probably going to use mine far past my upgrade date... at least til it dies.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

This is exactly why I decided against burnig my upgrade. There is nothing really appealng in the market right now. This is the first time I think ever, that I intentionally went with ebay, for an elecronic gadget, rather than purchasing a new handset. The OG Droid is that good. I think the only way I will purchase a new motorolla phone is if the rumored Nexus 3 really is a Droid and will be on Verizon. We will see...In the meantime the small investment I made on ebay has netted me the best cell phone experience I have ever had so far. I love ths device!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

tkoehler

Reaction score
I still have the D1 and i know i will be upgrading soon...with all these spec's being so similar these days, i will probably save my upgrade for the Bionic...i wish i was brave enough to root mine, but to nervous and i need to have a working phone...the D1 has been the best phone i have ever had too...