[Rumor] Motorola Droid X2 May have Lower Specs than Originally Thought

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 16, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Previously, we reported some leaked pics and specs for the Motorola Droid X2 that is coming in Q2. Unfortunately, new industry intelligence indicates that the specs are a bit lower than originally thought. Sources from Engadget suggest that the new Droid X2 will not come with a dual-core processor, 1GB of Ram, and an enhanced screen, but instead will only be a refresh of the current model. It's new specs will be a 1.2GHz single-core cpu, 768MB Ram, and the same screen it currently has. It still will not come with LTE/4G support, and it is still due to be released in the second quarter.

Personally, I hope Preach2k's original report turns out to be accurate and that this new info is false.

Source: Android.net via Engadget
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

That would be a total waste. Such a small upgrade, its almost useless.
  3. crackedvenom

crackedvenom New Member

Seriously. Stop making awesome phones, and then trying to profit by making another version that isnt really any better.
  4. Dark_Jedi

Dark_Jedi New Member

Well..the DX isnt awesome. So this is still just another waste lol.
  5. mjforte

mjforte Member

That is a sorry excuse of an upgrade. They should't call it DX2 but more like 1.5

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  6. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

... don't get too wound up folks, it's still just rumor.

only time will tell.
  7. mjforte

mjforte Member

Wonder if this is Verizon's doing? Not wanting too many high end phones better than iPhone?

8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Well, like someone else said, it may not make sense to have equal or better specs than the Bionic. People in 3G areas can purchase and use the Bionic just fine.

But the Bionic will probably be $300 on 2-yr contract. This teeny-tiny refresh on the DX lets them put something out there to hold the $199 price point.

Purely a guess, and we'll see what the real specs are. It is funny though that this will have more ram than the Bionic. How much more would it really have cost them to bump the ram in the Bionic? Bionic would be my perfect phone if it had 1 gig ram.
  9. CoFoltman84

CoFoltman84 New Member

bionic is dual core 512 though...so once theirs apps that run using the dual core, it'll be quicker than the 768 x2
  10. crackedvenom

crackedvenom New Member

Well ive never had one, but im sure it was great when it came out. Now? No because there are way better phones out.
  11. kodiak799

Not when you have to wait for it to kill apps and load new ones into memory from the SD because it doesn't have enough #$%#@ ram.
  12. Travillion

Travillion New Member

Wow, if it's true then that's crap and I have no idea why they think that would sell.
  13. Detonation

Detonation New Member

Shortly after they release this, they will discontinue and then re-release it as the DX2 Global.

Three phones for the R&D cost of one!
  14. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Lawlz 789!
  15. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Lets allow it to play out, but right now the TB is looking better and better.
  16. Travillion

Travillion New Member

If you are required to purchase a 4G data plan with a 4G phone people in 3G areas probably don't want to buy a 4G phone, hence the need to maintain high-end 3G devices as well as 4G ones (which this rendition of the DX2 is not high-end, comparatively).
  17. mjforte

mjforte Member

But shouldn't someone still be able to enjoy dual core if they don't have 4G in their area? As long as Verizon keeps the price of 4G plans the same as 3G or if they don't charge you extra for 4G if you don't live in an area where there's coverage then its ok. I could see this phone at like 99 or 150 with contract
  18. kodiak799

Higher 4G data plans have never been anything more than rumor and speculation. There is no indication the plan price is changing, and on the contrary some indication it will remain the same (which makes sense, although caps make sense, too, which they will probably end-up doing at some point).

What does look like will happen is the phone costs more and/or less subsidy. But you are also getting more than just LTE.

If data prices were going to be different, the TBolt wouldn't be offered for sale in 3G areas. It simply wouldn't make sense because it wouldn't sell with comparable 3G devices having a cheaper data plan.
  19. wctaylor79

wctaylor79 Premium Member Premium Member

Well with the X2 maybe the new news is really what is going to happen... Correct me if I am wrong but really what is the huge difference in the D1 and the D2 (not global). Was it not just a refresh with a better processor and a revamped keyboard? My point being that when they go to sequels they really don't change a whole lot.. Now with the X I would assume more then the exact same thing with just a little bump like reported it could possibly be, but dual core.. no way.. I personally think that dual core will be for V and Moto big devices.. like the 4G phones.. Look at the new Inc.. it is still just a bump up from the original. Plus as said here already.. If you have a dual core X that is 3G then they will loose out on the bionic sales knowing that it would work in 3G areas as well. Time will tell of course and we will all see how it plays out..
  20. nmos

nmos New Member

Am I the only one who isn't entirely convinced that multiple cores are going to make a huge difference on a phone?

Search tags for this page
8855 droid
a 8855 moto droid
how much ram can be freed on droid dx2?

motorola 8855

motorola model 8855 specs