[Rumor] Motorola DROID Bionic Gets Cancelled

Beardface

Reaction score
+1

I just want a good 4G phone and it seems like we won't be seeing any until late 2011....
You want a good 4G phone? Go with the Thunderbolt. It works, it gets great service, and if you're in a strong 4G network area, your battery life isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

New like this is extremely eye opening and people need to see the bigger picture. Sure, there are phones coming out in the future with amazing hardware, but its ALL untested and for the time being, completely unreliable. Dual and Quad Core phones sound amazing. Oh yeah, 2 processors are better than one! Whee! But for all we know, we could be sitting around waiting for these devices to come out for a VERY LONG TIME. The fact that the Bionic has failed is a huge blow to the development of this tech. This is a big step backwards. How is it that the TBolt was released and is doing just fine, but the Bionic, which has 2 processors, is cancelled because of overheating?

The bionic hasn't been cancelled its all speculation. If you want 8 month old hardware for the price of high end phone. Get the Thunderbolt. But patience is always best, a lot of these people who are putting the thunderbolt on a pedestal are the main ones regretting their purchase.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Look at this angry little man jumping from thread to thread to reply to every one of my messages.

Hey, stick to the one in the Thunderbolt forum, or have you been embarrassed too much by my refuting you each and every claim that you have to follow me around like a little dog?

illmatic636

Reaction score
I for 1 am glad to know that Motorola has an actual level of standards for what they put out. They have been on the business for a long time. Not to bash Apple or HTC, it just seems their last releases were rushed to meet customer demands.

Bad business model.

I'll hang tight with the D1 until the next Moto Droid comes out.

Is anyone think of the Droid Charge? Whether to get it or not?

Is Samsung good as far as radio and battery wise?

Thanks all!

Cause Moto didn't rush the Xoom, right? Lol. I wouldn't get the Charge because of the low specs. Just my opinion though.

hey hey hey, I got the iPad. I was talking about phone wise. Reception of radio thing like that.

I'll pass on the Charge, let the kids mess with that.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Looks like the issues that HTC is dealing with in regards to the Thunderbolt is what has killed off the Bionic. Specifically, LTE and CDMA are just not getting along. I'm hoping there will be an OTA fix for the TBolt to fix the problem once they figure it out. Thankfully, we aren't dealing with any heating issues.

However, if this is true, I wouldn't expect any Moto 4G phones for quite a while. The Targa may have high praise, and its hardware might be top notch, but if it can't play along with VZW's network, we'll never see it.

+1

I just want a good 4G phone and it seems like we won't be seeing any until late 2011....
You want a good 4G phone? Go with the Thunderbolt. It works, it gets great service, and if you're in a strong 4G network area, your battery life isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

New like this is extremely eye opening and people need to see the bigger picture. Sure, there are phones coming out in the future with amazing hardware, but its ALL untested and for the time being, completely unreliable. Dual and Quad Core phones sound amazing. Oh yeah, 2 processors are better than one! Whee! But for all we know, we could be sitting around waiting for these devices to come out for a VERY LONG TIME. The fact that the Bionic has failed is a huge blow to the development of this tech. This is a big step backwards. How is it that the TBolt was released and is doing just fine, but the Bionic, which has 2 processors, is cancelled because of overheating?

BF, just return your phone and get a D1 already. It's the baddest Motodevelopment phone of all time!!!!!!!!!!!

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Personally, I would be glad if the Bionic was replaced with the Targa. It seems to a much more awesome phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tcayton49

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone at Moto or vzw is reading these forums and are cracking up laughing at us scurrying around like rats in a maze "will they cancel it?" "its not cancelled?" "why won't they tell us anything?" "who moved my cheese?"

We're so funny

pizza3

Reaction score
Thank you Brother, EFGantry

Thanx "E' for that reference. It was right on point. My point, that is.

Smartbench 2011 is one of these few multi-thread enabled apps. In fact, I am not aware of any other benchmark app that are multi-core friendly at this time.

Apparently the only program that is capable of using the dual core is the testing program. I guess if you eliminated that program we'd have nothing. It sort of reminds me of the tail wagging the dog, or elephant, or the tyrannosaurus rex, etc... My particular interest is not to hoist you on your own petard, rather my "New Every 2" is ripe and I would be willing to wait for a powerhouse like the Bionic, Targa or Galaxy S2 if it actually meant something. Now I am becoming more interested in the Moto Droid X2. I get 4G in my town but don't think I need it. Dual core? Don't think I can use it. Think of it as a 1,000 HP engine that is restricted from using more than 500 ponies. Maybe by the time they learn to harness it I'll be ready for my next phone. Until then...

EFGantry

Reaction score
Thanx "E' for that reference. It was right on point. My point, that is.

Smartbench 2011 is one of these few multi-thread enabled apps. In fact, I am not aware of any other benchmark app that are multi-core friendly at this time.

Apparently the only program that is capable of using the dual core is the testing program. I guess if you eliminated that program we'd have nothing. It sort of reminds me of the tail wagging the dog, or elephant, or the tyrannosaurus rex, etc... My particular interest is not to hoist you on your own petard, rather my "New Every 2" is ripe and I would be willing to wait for a powerhouse like the Bionic, Targa or Galaxy S2 if it actually meant something. Now I am becoming more interested in the Moto Droid X2. I get 4G in my town but don't think I need it. Dual core? Don't think I can use it. Think of it as a 1,000 HP engine that is restricted from using more than 500 ponies. Maybe by the time they learn to harness it I'll be ready for my next phone. Until then...

i read the article a little differently than you. what your quoted sentence is saying is that for benchmark apps, only, the only one capable of accurately measuring dual core devices is Smartbench. however, the Andy OS is already capable, even in the current Froyo form, of taking advantage of dual cores:

Does this tell you that Android running on these devices uses both cores? Absolutely.
And which versions of Android are they using? FROYO

The reality is that Froyo running on these devices have been recompiled with SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) option turned on. The Linux kernel used in Android OS has been supporting multi-core processors for many years. This should not be a news to us.
It might be possible to further optimize these SMP enabled Android OS but even in its current state, it is more than capable of handling both cores

as to your point, the article does indicate that most apps don't currently take advantage of the availability of dual core. however, i believe the point of the story was to demonstrate that, because the Andy OS is already designed to utilize more than a single core, it will be very easy to optimize apps to take advantage of dual core. therefore, getting the most out of dual core will be something that happens sooner rather than later, and single cores will quickly become outpaced by dual core devices.

at least that's my reading of the article...

pizza3

Reaction score
You' right. So what?

EFG,
I don't dispute anything that you said. Of course your reading is correct. But what is not said speaks volumes if not libraries. Yes, the Android OS can deal with dual cores, but so what. You didn't say how useful that is in the real world. You didn't say that there are actual apps alive today that can take advantage of multiple cores. Being in NASCAR country I like to make auto analogies. Using that same 1,000 HP engine. What good is it if there is no vehicle that can use it. Sure it works on the mechanic's bench but it won't get you to the 7-11 for a Slurpee. Yes, at some time in the future it may well power super apps and may even be useful but for the time being -NO Slurpee.

reefsrt4

Reaction score
+1

The bionic hasn't been cancelled its all speculation. If you want 8 month old hardware for the price of high end phone. Get the Thunderbolt. But patience is always best, a lot of these people who are putting the thunderbolt on a pedestal are the main ones regretting their purchase.

The funniest part of your reply saying it isn't canceled is that those of us who get to hear it truly is canceled from actual Bionic development project engineers kinda make the speculation comment null and void....

You can refuse to accept the truth for as long as you like. ; )

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
ths os

EFG,
I don't dispute anything that you said. Of course your reading is correct. But what is not said speaks volumes if not libraries. Yes, the Android OS can deal with dual cores, but so what. You didn't say how useful that is in the real world. You didn't say that there are actual apps alive today that can take advantage of multiple cores. Being in NASCAR country I like to make auto analogies. Using that same 1,000 HP engine. What good is it if there is no vehicle that can use it. Sure it works on the mechanic's bench but it won't get you to the 7-11 for a Slurpee. Yes, at some time in the future it may well power super apps and may even be useful but for the time being -NO Slurpee.

is not the os the biggest app? i dont think any single core 1000mhz processor can bench on any of the benchmarks at 2500+ so obviously something is going on. i personally took the G2x for a spin and i can tell you its fast . the fact related here is that unless you want to pay the early term fee you are stuck for 2 years. id rather have something that will take advantage of the new android os taht comes out in the next year than say bummer another year before i can take advantage of it.

The thing here is some people dont feel they need the dual core and are happy with the latest single cores some will love the charge which is using an older single core . while some will get the dual core and complain its not hitting 3000 on quandrant or 40 on (forget the name :) -g2x hits 34 on it) its all about are you happy with your phone. the thunderbolt was nice i looked at it i would probably be perfectly happy with it(except for no hdmi) but i would spend 2 years going wish i would of got that one.

there is no argument here dual core is better than single core. if you dont agree please go back to a pentium on your computer. do you need it is anothe story. I needed a quad core on my computer to compile faster. my mom could still be on a fast pentium single core and probably be just as content.(but she had me shop for her so she has a machine shell never fully use :) )

what they are saying regarding dual core and why its better than single core is this. a single core running at 1000 uses more voltage and produces more heat than dual cores doing the same thing each only needing to run at 500 to achieve the same result. How they do this without active cooling like we need on our computers is beyond my knowledge. but for me i have wanted these things on my next phone 1)dual core 2)hdmi 3)unlocked bootloader 4) stock android 5)wanted 728 or ram or more 6)4 inch or more screen 7) better camera 8)4g. so the thunderbolt and charge wouldnt make me feel like i got want i wanted. the droid series now announced are not 4g. the G2x only has 512mb ram which is the only thing it doesnt pass so i think 7 of 8 is good enough for me. so im gonna take the plunge and switch(tmobile is good here in coverge) and its cheaper. I feel i will be happy with this purchase. as i was with the droid. 2 years is just too much and tmobile is only 100 after 1 year for early term. and with what verizon is charging for phones that will appear a wash if i do need to do that. i will have to pay 190 to verizon for early term but will be worth it to me. spent too much time with the droid im bored :)

but guys these threads are getting ugly. If your happy with what phone you have or are buying thats all that matters ignore what others think , they may have different objectives than what you need.

if indeed the bionic is dumped thats a good sign for motorola and verizon that they didnt release it anyways and keep promising fixes that never arrived.

maybe this is why the iphone is better. you can get the iphone 5 or the iphone 5 when it comes. and rarely is 1 iphone 5 better speced than the other iphone 5 :)

forget all this where is that razr.

Covington

Reaction score

The funniest part of your reply saying it isn't canceled is that those of us who get to hear it truly is canceled from actual Bionic development project engineers kinda make the speculation comment null and void....

You can refuse to accept the truth for as long as you like. ; )

Link to the source please sir.

BeerManMike

Reaction score
Thats funny, because i follow this alot as i REALLY want the Bionic and i stumbled across this:

Is Verizon Passing on the Droid Bionic in Favor of the Motorola Targa? [RUMOR]

Old article, 4 days... but look at the first comment. Some guy called it spot on and said it's coming May 12th, 4 days before the "leaked" Costco roadmap, in the midst of all the cancellation rumors. Kinda weird if you ask me, maybe he is telling the truth or had old info or both. It sucks to be waiting this long and with all the "test" Bionic phones being turned in, it's either scrapped for the time being or ready to launch. Because when it comes down to it, it's all been rumors since the last official statement from Verizon/Motorola was it (Bionic) had power/whatever problems but it's fixed or not true, they have said nothing since (from what i understand) so maybe the phone is awesome and fine and will come out on the 12th or maybe we won't see some dual core, DDR2, LTE goodness until august. :icon_eek:

Just thought it was odd this random guy commented and gave the date of the leak 4 days before.

p1ngputts

Reaction score
Thats funny, because i follow this alot as i REALLY want the Bionic and i stumbled across this:

Is Verizon Passing on the Droid Bionic in Favor of the Motorola Targa? [RUMOR]

Old article, 4 days... but look at the first comment. Some guy called it spot on and said it's coming May 12th, 4 days before the "leaked" Costco roadmap, in the midst of all the cancellation rumors. Kinda weird if you ask me, maybe he is telling the truth or had old info or both. It sucks to be waiting this long and with all the "test" Bionic phones being turned in, it's either scrapped for the time being or ready to launch. Because when it comes down to it, it's all been rumors since the last official statement from Verizon/Motorola was it (Bionic) had power/whatever problems but it's fixed or not true, they have said nothing since (from what i understand) so maybe the phone is awesome and fine and will come out on the 12th or maybe we won't see some dual core, DDR2, LTE goodness until august. :icon_eek:

Just thought it was odd this random guy commented and gave the date of the leak 4 days before.

i will buy any bionic at this point. seems it will be kick ass regardless what bionic it is.