[Rumor] Motorola DROID Bionic Gets Cancelled

tcayton49

Reaction score
I heard a rumor this morning that I have been cancelled. Fortunately I will soon be re-released as bionic. I will run faster, jump higher, and be LTE. I'm kinda excited :p

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing these rumors for a while now. I am just using a Thunderbolt as a replacement for my Droid until the Bionic comes out, but if the Bionic doesn't come out... ugh :icon_evil:

Could you explain exactly how you are doing that?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

I assume he means he bought TBolt retail and plans to sell it and use his upgrade for the device he really wants. I will probably do the same, though hoping this Targa (aka Bionic?) will come out soon.

And if the specs just posted on the Targa are true, that may just be my phone for the next 2 years (and I'll just flip my upgrade in Q4 and probably end-up only paying $50 more or so than if I waited).

loki993

Reaction score
but the big rumor (and big differentiating factor) is that it may be a vanilla Android/pure Google device, like a Nexus device, which could mean an unlocked device...

As awesome as that would be, I have a very hard time believing it. With the way Moto is locking everything down tighter and tighter and every phone is locked down more then the last. It doesnt make sense that they would then, after all that, release one that is unlocked.

pizza3

Reaction score
Pardon my continuing obtuseness but why is dual core better than single core if there is no software written to use it. I will not ask why "quad core" is even better. What happened to "tri core"? It goes without saying, so I'll say it that "16 core" is better than "15 core" Isn't there some point of diminishing returns where the difference is theoretical or merely mathematical? Learn me something.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
Oh, so the Bionic is having issues and instead will send out the Targa? Essentially the same phone with a different body, bigger camera and possibly 1GB of RAM? Obviously, the Targa would have the same issues if its the radios and processor not playing well together. Only reason this would work is if it's an OMAP processor. I don't expect anything from Motorola till the Summer.

illmatic636

Reaction score
I for 1 am glad to know that Motorola has an actual level of standards for what they put out. They have been on the business for a long time. Not to bash Apple or HTC, it just seems their last releases were rushed to meet customer demands.

Bad business model.

I'll hang tight with the D1 until the next Moto Droid comes out.

Is anyone think of the Droid Charge? Whether to get it or not?

Is Samsung good as far as radio and battery wise?

Thanks all!

Beardface

Reaction score
Looks like the issues that HTC is dealing with in regards to the Thunderbolt is what has killed off the Bionic. Specifically, LTE and CDMA are just not getting along. I'm hoping there will be an OTA fix for the TBolt to fix the problem once they figure it out. Thankfully, we aren't dealing with any heating issues.

However, if this is true, I wouldn't expect any Moto 4G phones for quite a while. The Targa may have high praise, and its hardware might be top notch, but if it can't play along with VZW's network, we'll never see it.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like the issues that HTC is dealing with in regards to the Thunderbolt is what has killed off the Bionic. Specifically, LTE and CDMA are just not getting along. I'm hoping there will be an OTA fix for the TBolt to fix the problem once they figure it out. Thankfully, we aren't dealing with any heating issues.

However, if this is true, I wouldn't expect any Moto 4G phones for quite a while. The Targa may have high praise, and its hardware might be top notch, but if it can't play along with VZW's network, we'll never see it.

+1

I just want a good 4G phone and it seems like we won't be seeing any until late 2011....

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I for 1 am glad to know that Motorola has an actual level of standards for what they put out. They have been on the business for a long time. Not to bash Apple or HTC, it just seems their last releases were rushed to meet customer demands.

Bad business model.

Thanks all!

Cause Moto didn't rush the Xoom, right? Lol. I wouldn't get the Charge because of the low specs. Just my opinion though.

EFGantry

Reaction score

Bad business model.

Thanks all!

Cause Moto didn't rush the Xoom, right? Lol. I wouldn't get the Charge because of the low specs. Just my opinion though.

+10 the Charge is a mid-tier device, at best. much, much better phones are coming.

Beardface

Reaction score

+1

I just want a good 4G phone and it seems like we won't be seeing any until late 2011....
You want a good 4G phone? Go with the Thunderbolt. It works, it gets great service, and if you're in a strong 4G network area, your battery life isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

New like this is extremely eye opening and people need to see the bigger picture. Sure, there are phones coming out in the future with amazing hardware, but its ALL untested and for the time being, completely unreliable. Dual and Quad Core phones sound amazing. Oh yeah, 2 processors are better than one! Whee! But for all we know, we could be sitting around waiting for these devices to come out for a VERY LONG TIME. The fact that the Bionic has failed is a huge blow to the development of this tech. This is a big step backwards. How is it that the TBolt was released and is doing just fine, but the Bionic, which has 2 processors, is cancelled because of overheating?

EFGantry

Reaction score
Pardon my continuing obtuseness but why is dual core better than single core if there is no software written to use it. I will not ask why "quad core" is even better. What happened to "tri core"? It goes without saying, so I'll say it that "16 core" is better than "15 core" Isn't there some point of diminishing returns where the difference is theoretical or merely mathematical? Learn me something.

try this: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/140004-why-dual-core-todays-technology.html

jeremycnly

Reaction score

+1

You want a good 4G phone? Go with the Thunderbolt. It works, it gets great service, and if you're in a strong 4G network area, your battery life isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

New like this is extremely eye opening and people need to see the bigger picture. Sure, there are phones coming out in the future with amazing hardware, but its ALL untested and for the time being, completely unreliable. Dual and Quad Core phones sound amazing. Oh yeah, 2 processors are better than one! Whee! But for all we know, we could be sitting around waiting for these devices to come out for a VERY LONG TIME. The fact that the Bionic has failed is a huge blow to the development of this tech. This is a big step backwards. How is it that the TBolt was released and is doing just fine, but the Bionic, which has 2 processors, is cancelled because of overheating?

The bionic hasn't been cancelled its all speculation. If you want 8 month old hardware for the price of high end phone. Get the Thunderbolt. But patience is always best, a lot of these people who are putting the thunderbolt on a pedestal are the main ones regretting their purchase.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App