[Rumor] Motorola DROID Bionic Gets Cancelled

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 18, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

There are some disturbing new reports right now that the Motorola Droid Bionic (codenamed Etna) has been cancelled and will not be released. The reasons cited for the demise of the superphone are actually a combination of factors. First, the phone has been plagued with battery and heat issues during its development phase. Additionally, the handshake between the CDMA, EVDO, and LTE radios was very problematic. Apparently, the Atrix experienced these same issues, but they were able to be fixed.

To further complicate the issues, the longer that Motorola delayed the release of the Bionic, the closer it would put it to the release of other more advanced phones in the third quarter, thus causing Motorola to compete with itself on its own products. Apparently, Motorola has instead decided to ramp up production on the Targa to replace the Bionic as their 4G phone.

Interestingly, this could actually end up being good news for two reasons. The first is that it is entirely possible that when Verizon actually gets the Targa, they will rename it the "Bionic" since "Targa" is just its internal codename. So, it's possible that we will still get a "Bionic", just in a different form, and a bit later than expected. Additionally, whether they name it the Bionic or not, the Targa is supposedly a much better phone. It too has a dual-core CPU, 4g LTE, and a 4.3" display, but it also has a 13MP camera and gets high praise from within Motorola testing circles. For now, we are calling this one a rumor, but several sources seem to indicate that it will probably be officially announced soon.

Source: Phonarena and MyDroidWorld
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

3. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

I'm confused... i think i'll go offline for awhile till things will actually happen.. :r_c:
  4. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

5. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

6. IanG

IanG New Member

I've been seeing these rumors for a while now. I am just using a Thunderbolt as a replacement for my Droid until the Bionic comes out, but if the Bionic doesn't come out... ugh :icon_evil:
  7. EFGantry

EFGantry New Member

this Bionic (ie, the Atrix' cousin) doesn't appear to be coming to market. but, a Bionic will be released - it's just most likely going to be the phone we've known as the Targa, and it will be renamed as the Bionic...
  8. loki993

loki993 New Member

Wasnt the Targa supposed to be Quad core and releasing around xmas though?
  9. loki993

loki993 New Member

It getting cancelled would explain why we havent seen any in the wild pics of it though.
  10. EFGantry

EFGantry New Member

there was a vague rumor (altho it appears to have been mostly wishful thinking) that the Targa might be quad core. however, once the Targa pics and rumored specs leaked, many people (including our very own and very reliable CK) concluded that it would be dual core and released Q3, since no Q4 phones had yet been leaked...
  11. loki993

loki993 New Member

That makes sense. Kinda like if you look up TB specs you get old rumored spec from around August that said it would be dual core.

So what are the rumored specs on the Targa now? from what the OP said its not really much different from the Bionic aside from the 13mp camera, which I honestly couldnt care less about.
  12. kodiak799

13mp is LOL funny, just like last night when I was watching CSI and the tech is using a DSLR with a huge lens to take photos from 2 feet away.
  13. EFGantry

EFGantry New Member

the rumored specs are largely the same. but, the rumor is that the dual core processor will be OMAP, not the Tegra 2; ffc; 12 mp camera; full HD; hdmi out; 1 gig ram (i think); 4.3" qHd screen; LTE. but the big rumor (and big differentiating factor) is that it may be a vanilla Android/pure Google device, like a Nexus device, which could mean an unlocked device...
  14. MarkO

MarkO New Member

Well looks like I won't have to make a "decision" now.

Samsung Charge it is.
  15. vzdroid13

vzdroid13 New Member

Could you explain exactly how you are doing that?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  16. tcayton49

tcayton49 New Member

I heard a rumor this morning that I have been cancelled. Fortunately I will soon be re-released as bionic. I will run faster, jump higher, and be LTE. I'm kinda excited :p
  17. kodiak799

I assume he means he bought TBolt retail and plans to sell it and use his upgrade for the device he really wants. I will probably do the same, though hoping this Targa (aka Bionic?) will come out soon.

And if the specs just posted on the Targa are true, that may just be my phone for the next 2 years (and I'll just flip my upgrade in Q4 and probably end-up only paying $50 more or so than if I waited).
  18. Detonation

Detonation New Member

19. loki993

loki993 New Member

As awesome as that would be, I have a very hard time believing it. With the way Moto is locking everything down tighter and tighter and every phone is locked down more then the last. It doesnt make sense that they would then, after all that, release one that is unlocked.
  20. loki993

loki993 New Member

However is that does in fact become true, it would be an absolute buy for me
Search tags for this page

droid bionic end of production