[Rumor] LG's New Flagship Phone with Quad-Core S4 Krait Called the LS970 'Eclipse'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LS970-Back-Pic.jpg

If this leaked info turns out to be accurate, then sometime later this year LG may leap forward and become a serious competitor in the high-end segment of the Android smartphone world. The specs on this leaked device sound like a techno-geek's "nerdgasm." The internal production name of the LG LS970 is the “Eclipse 4G LTE.” This phone will supposedly come with a cutting edge chipset and more RAM than any smartphone previously. Here's a spec breakdown:
  • The APQ8064 chipset is a 28nm 1.5 GHz Qualcomm quad-core Snapdragon S4 series Krait processor
  • It's graphics engine will be powered by the more advanced Adreno 320 GPU
  • It will carry a whopping 2GB of RAM!
  • 16GB of internal storage
  • 2100 mAh battery
  • 4.67-inch WXGA (1280×768) LCD TFT display
  • 13-megapixel camera
  • 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera
  • 4G LTE

LS970-Info.jpg

Supposedly, this device will be going to Sprint sometime in the fourth quarter of this year. The source of the leak even provided a few pictures to back up their leak. What do you guys think of this one? If it is real would you like to see it come to Verizon?

Source: Android.net via BriefMobile

hotice

Reaction score
Loaded hardware, I don't know about LG and Android though

The hardware looks great! Looks like the fastest mobile CPU/GPU out there. I do think it's time they start throwing 2GB of RAM in these so I'm glad to see that. A 2100mAH battery sounds almost generous with the 28nm CPU.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable buying an LG? I just don't know enough about their Android track record. How have they been with updates...any better than Samsung?

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
I would definitely buy this, and the optimus 4x looks awesome too. Lets hope it comes to Verizon.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Whoa.....Well this will compete with the SG3.

2GB of ram is going to EAT through some battery. maybe a 4500mah extended?

Last edited:

Eric18

Reaction score
I love the hardware other than the Screen. I hate LCD and really love AMOLED, I don't know why the phone companies don't pick up that AMOLED is the screen most want. The 13mp Camera, Processor, GPU, 2GB of Ram, good size Battery are really good compared to allot of the new phones coming out. Although I wish they would speed up on putting new Tech. in. It could have more GB of Ram, Larger Battery, Higher mp Camera, and a Better screen, Just wish they would bring out the best tech. in the phones instead of slowly upgrading the phones like Apple does.:blink:

52brandon

Reaction score
is sprint's 4G LTE? I thought only Verizon and now ATT use LTE 4G

quadtronix

Reaction score
This phone has my full attention! Cant wait to learn more. 4G and quadcore krait. I want one!

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
Chances of Verizon getting this in a timely manner? 000000000000

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using the Droid Forums App

nleksan

Reaction score
Awesome Specs!

I think that this is truly showing how quickly mobile technology is developing; we've had quad-core CPU's for computers for what, 5 years or so (and hex-core CPU's for 3.5-4?), but with Android phones we have gone from single-core to dual-core to quad-core in what seems like a flash! I consider the Motorola Droid the "first true modern Android phone", and yet in comparison to this new LG, it looks like a circa-2005 Gateway desktop sitting next to a custom-built Intel 3960X 6-Core CPU/32GB DDR3-2133/Nvidia GTX680 equipped monster!

I think quad-core is absolutely the future, although I believe that the Tegra3 has the best "idea" in having the 5th "little core" to control things such as battery life and other functions that are not based on user input. With AMD and Intel focusing more and more on integrated CPU/GPU SOC's, particularly AMD with it's new Trinity "APU" (which evolved from Llano) although Intel's Ivy Bridge's HD4000 Integrated GPU is no longer a bad joke, it is only a matter of time before we see truly laptop-equivalent processing power without the laptop battery requirements make its way into our phones...

2GB of low-voltage DDR3 SDRAM is an excellent step forward, perhaps the best single one of this phone. As an owner of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (1.2Ghz dual-core, 1GB DDR3 SDRAM, 32GB On-Board Storage), there are PLENTY of times I wish for more system memory; and now, with DDR3 chip prices so low ($1 for a 2Gb chip, approximately), it makes a lot of sense to start integrating larger amounts of working memory into these phones. Quad-Core Processors have the potential to use huge memory buses, and due to the small form factor, phones come equipped with SOC's that contain full GPU's, some of which are multi-core themselves. These GPU's utilize system memory as it would likely be cost-prohibitive to use the more-expensive yet vastly better-performing GDDR5 for dedicated video RAM.
Open up the bus lanes, 256bit bi-directional, and multiply the channels so that we are getting dual channel or even quad-channel RAM over an extremely wide bus feeding both the CPU and GPU, and those pesky "Force Close" and "xxx is Not Responding" pop-ups resulting from oversaturated memory would be a thing of the past!

Lastly, a 13MP camera is quite nice (although I think Nokia still holds the crown, lol), but whenever I see such high numbers on anything other than a dedicated DSLR camera, it makes me worry that the manufacturer is using a high MP count to compensate for subpar or straight up terrible image sensors... The fact is, 13MP is more than most people would ever need, especially from a cell phone as I don't know anyone who makes poster-size printouts of photos taken with their camera phone (and I do a TON of HD Video/Image and Uncompressed Audio editing). A camera on your phone is nice for those "spur-of-the-moment" photographs, when you can't carry a full-size camera, or even when you've forgotten your camera; however, it simply cannot replace a real camera. The absolute top-of-the-line camera on a phone is still vastly inferior to even an "entry-level" DSLR and looks like a pin-hole camera compared to a top-end EOS or equivalent. I have taken the exact same photo with each camera phone that either I or a family member has (Galaxy Nexus, Moto Droid 1, Droid X2, Galaxy S II, HTC Incredible 2, LG Ally, and about 6 others... also, an iPhone 4S) with all ranging from 3-9MP image size and then took the exact same photo with a Nikon D3000 DSLR camera (with a Nikkor 35-100 "standard" lens), a middle-level DSLR that stands above the entry-level but also can't compare to the flagship lines from any given manufacturer. All settings were kept the same as much as was possible (most phones don't allow automatic ISO setting, but it's easy to get an idea when you see the photo), the subject was a landscape with no noticeable movement, and all phones were set to output the photo in their highest-quality mode (either designated via MP or by "good, better, best"); oh, and flash was kept off and cameras were allowed 30s to focus while resting on a mount while the Nikon was manually focused to one point with no software/hardware alterations made to compensate for focus/balance/contrast/etc.
The camera was set at an ISO of 400, and it also output to its native format but also output a lower quality format at the same time (RAW + JPEG), and both were used to help identify where the phone's were compressing data compared to the camera.
Using the same 30" (current-gen)-IPS 2560x1600 monitor (2.07billion colors, custom-calibrated to be within 99.99998% color accuracy per pixel) that I normally use for HD video and photo editing, I compared the image quality output of each phone. Tools used included Photoshop Professional, Corel, Premiere, and a half-dozen professional-level programs.

The results: Camera phones have, on average, 32-34% of the image quality of a medium-quality DSLR. Focus on camera phones is poor, they lack a strong sense of depth, color accuracy was for the most part significantly off of the Adobe RGB standard to which all were set to comply, contrast was very poor with lighting playing perhaps the biggest role in photo quality, and they could only be edited so much.
Best Quality Compared to DSLR by MP-Range: 4.5-6MP was the "sweet spot", with the phones in this arena ranging from 33% of the DSLR all the way up to 68%! The Galaxy Nexus stands out, and surprisingly so, except that its color balance is not strong.
Otherwise, the best photography phone is probably the Galaxy S II... The iPhone had the 2nd worst camera with grainy, blurry images that lacked any focus or detail.

IMPROVE THE CAMERAS!