[Rumor] LG Nexus Device to Launch Oct 29 with 8GB Storage for Only $399 Unlocked

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus-4-21.jpeg

If you are one of those smartphone users who is sick of being taken advantage of by your carrier, and are looking to invest in an unlocked Nexus device, here's a new rumor that might just get you excited. According to the intel, the new LG Nexus 4 device that we have heard a ton of rumors about already will supposedly be launching on October 29th, and will sell unlocked for just $399.99. This same rumor seems to also confirm previous rumors that the device will come with only 8GB of storage space. While this seems like a paltry amount of storage space for a Nexus flagship phone, the monstrously powerful specs of the device might just make it worth the sacrifice when you consider this amazingly low unlocked price. Here's a recap of the "known" specs:
  • No SD support
  • Quad-core 1.5 GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU
  • 2 GB of RAM
  • 4.7-inch display with 1280 x 768 pixels resolution
  • Non-removable battery (most likely a 2,100 mAh unit)
What do you guys think? Does this cloud or clear your decision making for a new phone?

Source: AndroidAuthority

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
8GB of storage.

Paltry.

I use my phone to grab files at work to take home.
My phone stays packed with 10GB-12GB of usage at any given time. 8GB seems like a low amount for just about anyone. You'd figure 16GB would take care of 99.9% of users who may need the space "just-in-case". I'd rather have a phone that had way too much storage space than one that's barely enough.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Liking the price point, but the design and storage specs are a no go for me. Odds are it won't be available on VZ's CMDA band anyway.

bluefire7002

Reaction score
Liking the price point, but the design and storage specs are a no go for me. Odds are it won't be available on VZ's CMDA band anyway.

Yea I doubt VZ is gonna get this phone... sighhh.. are we going to get any quad-core flagship phone this year??

skennelly

Reaction score
I would gladly buy a phone with 8 gb of storage if I could add up to a 64 gb card. I don't need that much space, but it is nice to know it's available. I'd never buy a phone with only 8 gb total. I sold my original gtab 10.1 16 gb because I ran out of storage.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
My phone is almost alwys full with over 16gb I have some of my music, games, and files I carry with me constantly. 8gb.. nope not going to happen, maybe 4 years ago.

djspy

Reaction score
See, this is what I don't get about the whole Android ecosystem. Why the super low storage? Even on my RAZR they advertised 16gigs but what they don't tell you is 8gig are already used up by the system. That leaves me with only 8gigs. Thankfully i have a micro SD card but still, how come Android users get screwed over with low storage?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
8 gigs is WAY too small. I'm struggling with 16 gigs in my Nexus 7. I have about a gig free and it grows all the time. I use an OTG cable with a 32 gig flash drive for movies/music. If you only use it for basic things because you have a tablet with you...fine, but even then...for me...its a deal breaker. I see on ebay and craigslist that there are Galaxy Nexus devices around $250 for a 16 gig for both Verizon and ATT (gsm unlocked for their HSPA+) network and I may get my wife one. Her Thunderbolt just isn't holding up and HTC doesn't care about the poor thing.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
tumblr_lxnryuvw7B1r7un4jo1_400.jpg

Charge me an extra $50 and give me some frickin' micro SD support!!

Or frickin' sharks with lasers on their heads. One or the other but the micro SD support seems easier and cheaper...

armeddroid

Reaction score
I got 2 things I would like to inquire about.

1. How come I'm not seeing anything about this being an LTE phone?

2. 8 or 16gb? And this is supposed to be a Nexus device? Isn't a Nexus device considered to be a true developers phone? Why would you limit the phone at 16gb and no SD slot?

I know Googorola dropped specs to manufacturers on what is supposed to be on the device but these specs are not what I would think is "developer's" phone.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
I got 2 things I would like to inquire about.

1. How come I'm not seeing anything about this being an LTE phone?

2. 8 or 16gb? And this is supposed to be a Nexus device? Isn't a Nexus device considered to be a true developers phone? Why would you limit the phone at 16gb and no SD slot?

I know Googorola dropped specs to manufacturers on what is supposed to be on the device but these specs are not what I would think is "developer's" phone.

I'll answer based on the limited word I've been hearing lately.

1) There is large speculation that Verizon will not carry another Nexus device due to the disagreements between them and Google. Add in the fact that Verizon prefers to load up phones with their services and trials and it doesn't surprise me that this is the case. After all, the Galaxy Nexus was Verizon's first "Pure Android" device since the OG Droid. There is also the problem of the Galaxy Nexus not selling well on Verizon, in large part due to them keeping it at the $299 price point in an attempt to push people towards other phones long after their other "top tier" devices had dropped in price (which is why I don't have one).

2) Our best guess is that Google is really pushing for more of their cloud based services when it comes to media consumption, document access, etc. The problem here then ties into the new Shared Data Plans that both Verizon and AT&T have released. Honestly, I could probably pull of 16gb on Sprint of T-Mobile. It would not be a fun experience though, and personally, I lament the fact that Google is moving in the direction of a small storage capacity.

At the end of the day...No removable battery and no expansion slot means this device is a no go for me, regardless of any great online price it may be.