[Rumor] Korean Version of the Galaxy S3 May Also Have Different External Design

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
korea-shs3-square-design.jpg

Last week we reported that the Korean version of the Samsung Galaxy S III would come with additional hardware specs beyond the other versions released world-wide. However, a new report seems to suggest that besides the Quad-Core chip and the 2GB of RAM on the Korean version of the phone, this version will also have a vastly different external design. As you can see from the pics above, the Korean version of the SGS3 will supposedly have squared edges instead of the rounded look of the rest of the versions distributed world-wide. Because of this squared design, it could also have a slightly larger screen as well.

Hmmm... this seems like a strange thing to do, but Samsung probably understands their customer-base in Korea well enough to make a decision like this. Still, from the looks of the pic, it is possible that either this will turn out to be just a rumor, or perhaps someone has mashed up a couple of rumors together. Maybe what we are seeing is simply another Galaxy Note device of some kind. Regardless, right now this is all just speculation, and we will remain skeptical until we see some confirmation.

Source: S3Forums via PhoneArena

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I like the Korean version better

Me too, but it was probably rounded for the US to avoid any crying from Apple. Lets face it, any rectangle device made gets Apple's panties in a bunch. The screen size isn't that big of a deal to me as it probably still has the same resolution with just a slightly smaller pixel density. I want the squared corners though.

jerkwad

Reaction score
Me too, but it was probably rounded for the US to avoid any crying from Apple. Lets face it, any rectangle device made gets Apple's panties in a bunch. The screen size isn't that big of a deal to me as it probably still has the same resolution with just a slightly smaller pixel density. I want the squared corners though.

lol i'm glad SOMEBODY said it ;-)

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, the design had to be approved by the lawyers. I'm just guessing that Korea's court system isn't as idiotic as those in the U.S. and Europe so SK gets the good stuff. Their version is damn sexy. I still think what we're getting looks like butt, and though it doesn't seem as bad as it did before I still won't be getting one. Much better looking devices out there. Of course, as many phones come out there having an ugly phone is a death sentence.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually like the rounded one better myself; however, I can see the appeal of either one. Regardless, I found something that seems to debunk my own story, (which I found highly suspect to begin with).

Here's the pic that was posted by Astrix over at our S3Forums, which is supposedly of the launch of the phone in South Korea:

sgs3-s-korea.jpg

Here it is over at our S3Forums: SK Telecom in Korea Getting the Best Samsung Galaxy S III; Quad-core Exynos & 2GB RAM.

landon418

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Better

Yes the korean version looks better. I like the square design. Main reason I got a bionic over the nexus or razr. Didn't regret it at all ;p