[Rumor] Google no longer supports vzw Nexus

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree if you like the nexus keep it. If you are on the market choose the phone that meet your needs.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ummm hate to ruin the party but Google issued statements saying that support for the nexus will continue

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/2/3/2769480/verizon-galaxy-nexus-removed-from-googles-developer-support-pages

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

amberstang

Reaction score
Not sure how accurate this info is, but in a twitter chat I had with @vzwsupport, this is what I was told when I asked the question "What is the ETA for the 4.0.4 Gnex update". @vzwsupport: We do not have an ETA of when or if there will be a software update for the Nexus.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure how accurate this info is, but in a twitter chat I had with @vzwsupport, this is what I was told when I asked the question "What is the ETA for the 4.0.4 Gnex update". @vzwsupport: We do not have an ETA of when or if there will be a software update for the Nexus.

It's because Verizon would never give out an ETA and they don't build the updates for Nexus devices.

Try your hand with @google, you'll have something if they answer you.

Syraz

Reaction score
I didn't research much of this rumor, but to me just seemed like they are dropping the "word" not the support a play of words to forgo any legal issues or what not, I could be wrong.

prowler85

Reaction score
Next version of LTE is going to include Equipment Identification Registry.. its designed to seek and blacklist custom unlocked, rooted, romd phones. This has been talked about in the past already. Its marketed as a device that can kill off stolen phones and such. Estimated at a year out or so before we see much of it

The courts have already said that consumers can do what they want with products (phones) they own. Yes, they can void our warranties, but the first carrier that tries to "blacklist" or punish its customers for rooting/romming will see a lot of angry consumers and (I'd bet) a couple of lawsuits, which they'd lose.

This is all just fear mongering.

sb1831

Reaction score
This will only have an affect on the ROM community in reality. Google stated that all GSM binaries and firmware are license and available for distribution. This means that AOSP is building with the most up to date firmware for the devices. Being that CDMA devices arent supported in the same way, this means that ROMS will be built off of older drivers, radios, etc than their GSM counterparts. All of this equates to bit rot and compatibility issues. Maybe not right away, but it will happen.

prowler85

Reaction score
This will only have an affect on the ROM community in reality. Google stated that all GSM binaries and firmware are license and available for distribution. This means that AOSP is building with the most up to date firmware for the devices. Being that CDMA devices arent supported in the same way, this means that ROMS will be built off of older drivers, radios, etc than their GSM counterparts. All of this equates to bit rot and compatibility issues. Maybe not right away, but it will happen.

I find it funny how many different interpretations there are of this, even though Googs has made it clear what the issue is. It has to do with proprietary CDMA drivers that require a key that must be provided by the carrier. So Googs cannot provide a complete AOSP source for CDMA devices. They have stated that they will provide everything they can that developers need, short of the proprietary stuff. This hasn't stopped development in the least, or led to a lesser experience for the user. Just gonna be "different" from how they normally provide AOSP code. They are more or less just covering their six while trying to support CDMA devices to the best of their ability. Don't think we could ask for more.

sb1831

Reaction score
I find it funny how many different interpretations there are of this, even though Googs has made it clear what the issue is. It has to do with proprietary CDMA drivers that require a key that must be provided by the carrier. So Googs cannot provide a complete AOSP source for CDMA devices. They have stated that they will provide everything they can that developers need, short of the proprietary stuff. This hasn't stopped development in the least, or led to a lesser experience for the user. Just gonna be "different" from how they normally provide AOSP code. They are more or less just covering their six while trying to support CDMA devices to the best of their ability. Don't think we could ask for more.

This is no intepretation of this situation what I posted is exactly what will happen. JBQ stated as much himself.

prowler85

Reaction score
This is no intepretation of this situation what I posted is exactly what will happen. JBQ stated as much himself.

Uh, no. I don't know how it could happent the way you describe. We may have to wait for the proprietary stuff until it is OTA, which at that point the Devs can hack out the latest radios, drivers, etc, and incorporate into the latest AOSP releases. But it won't be "outdated". In fact it'll obviously be the latest stuff available since it was just released by the carriers. They might have to go with "older" stuff til the OTA, but at that point in the the "older" stuff will still be the latest released.

So what's the problem?