[Rumor] Google no longer supports vzw Nexus

kmo

Reaction score
Rumor or not, if VZW is part responsible for this happening in the future I would consider buying out my contract and moving on to another carrier. I'm already very disappointed in big Red's phone disasters in the past. The whole reason for getting a device like this is continued support from Google. Rooted or not I want Google to be an active partner in future updates to this device.....let's see how long it takes this story to either come to life or is it just a horrible rumor??????? The problem is we probably won't get any info from VZW or Google re: this in the matter considering their history.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
does this surprise anyone

it was always a question would we really get updates from google. especially after the delays of release. this just answers that question.
verizon sucks we already knew that.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I wouldn't get too upset yet guys. There is probably a very simple explanation and I do NOT see Google dumping support for the device(s) Thats just a crazy assumption.......

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too upset yet guys. There is probably a very simple explanation and I do NOT see Google dumping support for the device(s) Thats just a crazy assumption.......

I think there may be more to it then we know. This may not be on vzw's end alone but on googles. As you see they dropping cdma devices and sprint is being effected as well. I think time is about to expose more truth and info into this matter. These are my questions and concerns:

• Did google really want a phone that they would be solely responsible for supporting or did they want a partnership where they released the software but the manufacturer and carrier would be responsible for the support?
  • Did vzw back off because they did not want the bad customer feedback from customers testing software (especially if during testing issues came up)?
  • Is google wallat really the issue?
  • Did part of the reason oems like motorola and google took so long to give us updates was partly because of having to clean up and fix the software for the end user?
  • Will vzw step in and continue to ensure support for the device?
Like you I have questions and I believe time will answer them. If you have a nexus and are concerned we will do our best to stay up to date on this info so you will remained informed.

TSXXX

Reaction score
Droid-life can be absolutely stupid. I believe maybe 75% of their articles and this is just way too far fetched to even think its true.

Why would Google dis continue support for a flagship phone? Especially one as great as the nexus.

Sent from my GummyNex :)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Dear Google, please don't make me grow a long beard, move in to a shack in Montana and unibomb the H outta you. K? Thxbye

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello! This is a quick clarification about support for CDMA devices.

For various technical reasons, recent CDMA Android devices implement core telephony functionality in .apk files provided in binary form by the carriers. To function correctly, these .apk files must be signed by the so-called "platform" key. However, when an individual creates a custom build from the AOSP source code, they don't use the same signing key as these CDMA flies were signed with.

The result is that these files don't work properly, and pure AOSP builds running on these devices can't place calls, access mobile data, and so on. Because we aim to make sure that we are as clear as possible about the degree of support that devices have, we updated the docs over at source.android.com to reflect this reality.

We will still make available as many as possible of the closed-source binaries for these devices, and Nexus devices will continue to have unlockable bootloaders. And, of course, GSM/HSPA+ devices are still supported, as are any other devices we're able to support. We've simply updated the documentation to be clearer about the current extent of CDMA support.

We are of course always working to improve support, and we'll keep everyone updated as we make improvements. Thanks as always for your interest in AOSP!

- Dan

From here https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/android-contrib/phz3S5ZdveU

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
From the Verge:

"Update 2: Google has reached out again to say that it incorrectly responded to our initial request for comment — this has nothing to do with Google Wallet, and furthermore, the company will continue to support the Verizon Galaxy Nexus through official firmware updates. Disaster averted."

Verizon Galaxy Nexus removed from Google's developer support pages (update) | The Verge

As time goes on we will get to the bottom of what is real and what isnt.

creaky

Reaction score
it was always a question would we really get updates from google. especially after the delays of release. this just answers that question.
verizon sucks we already knew that.

So, eagle, as a respected dev, if this is true what would it mean for custom ROMs? Is this a big deal to folks like you?