[Rumor] Google Might Drop the Nexus Line in 2015 in Favor of 'Play Edition' Products

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus5x3-with-no.png

Here's a rumor that we don't put much stock in, but isn't so far out of left field that it is worth ignoring. According to the noted blogger Eldar Murtazin, 2014 might be the last year that Nexus devices from Google exist. According to him, Google is planning to drop the name in favor of "Play Edition" products from other manufacturers. Murtazin also suggested this will happen as early as 2015, and that it was possible the Play Edition versions of devices could be named to something else.

For the most part, this seems like "stab in the dark" prognostication. It's not too unbelievable, yet also doesn't make much sense. Google has done a decent job of building up the Nexus brand name. Why throw it away this early in the game? Of course, stranger things have happened. Let us know what you think of this "rumint."

Source: Twitter

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Makes sense to me. With the Moto X and Moto G (probably other manufactures will jump on board) filling in the affordable off-contract slot and the Google Play editions already targeting the software (stock Android) side I think it was inevitable. Will it happen? Dunno? It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it did happen though....

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Not surprising. Having Motorola in their stable and allowing others to have the Nexus line opened the doors for legal fisticuffs if a Nexus manufacturer felt that Moto phones were getting an unfair update advantage.

This means that Dev Editions of phones will be SNAPPED up like never before.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This means that Dev Editions of phones will be SNAPPED up like never before.

Ehhh, I'm still not seeing much demand for full retail, especially if VZW ends unlimited at some point. Keep in mind that the Nexus phones are more affordable because they are pretty heavily subsidized by Google (and offered in somewhat limited quantities). LG lost money last quarter in mobile - there is no way they can make money selling a phone for $400 unless it has two-year old specs.

But maybe we're getting to the point where current phones are already as powerful as 95% of users will need for years. The Google Play devices would basically be a total commodity that I'd see little incentive for companies to want to compete, but it may become a furtile ground to "dump" unsold inventory after 12-18 months.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Yeah, a relatively modest demand for off-contract full priced phones, but DevEd phones rarely (if ever) last 30 days before they're out of stock.
There's a definite and strong undercurrent for those devices in particular.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a relatively modest demand for off-contract full priced phones, but DevEd phones rarely (if ever) last 30 days before they're out of stock.
There's a definite and strong undercurrent for those devices in particular.

Sure, but again it's an entirely unprofitable segment/niche for OEM's. Might as well just give out a few dozen unlocked variants to developers to support the rom market (basically offloading long-term update support). Almost all phones have been rooted and unlocked within months of launch.

I just don't see it. The Nexus devices sell because Google subsidizes them to be more affordable off-contract. I have to agree this is probably just a move to allow Moto to make "Nexus" phones without irking the other OEM's.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'd like to see Google Edition phones be supported by Google themselves. Let Samsung make the amazing Galasy S5, or LG make their new G3 phone. But open a partnership that lets users buy a phone and choose to have the stock firmware on it or install the Google Edition firmware that Google updates and manages. Software support would have to go to Google only on those phones but hardware support still though the OEM.

jamjr74

Reaction score
Boy I hope not.... Love the Nexus line!!!! And not looking to spend $600 plus on a play store edition of another flagship device!

Last edited:

jamjr74

Reaction score
all I want is SD support or 64gb of space on a tablet/phone... either or... none of this cloud nonsense.

I felt that way too til I got unlimited data now the cloud is fine with me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Why pay $600 for GP edition phone then still have to wait in line for updates if your particular brand doesn't have it good with Google to be first updated. Then you still may be stuck to a single carrier... I knew GP edition phones would cause dilemmas lol, just give me a pure nexus not a knock off GPed...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Honestly, Froyo was a huge jump, and then so was Gingerbread (which brought JIT and some other major code/speed enhancements). ICS, aside from some features most custom launchers already offered, was pretty underwhelming.

So having the latest Android just isn't anywhere near as exciting as it used to be. I care about developer phones because I run a really heavy home set-up, and without running vanilla Android overlaying my launcher on something like Touchwiz would still cause me issues even with 2gigs of ram. Also piece-of-mind to have a back-up if I soft brick my phone messing around with root.

jamjr74

Reaction score
I really felt ICS was the biggest upgrade out of all of them. It brought a degree of smoothness to the os that had been lacking. I always love getting my os upgrades ASAP which is why I like the nexus line. I wish Google would push out ota 's directly like Apple does.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I really felt ICS was the biggest upgrade out of all of them. It brought a degree of smoothness to the os that had been lacking. I always love getting my os upgrades ASAP which is why I like the nexus line.

Having not changed phones between GB and ICS, I noticed virtually no difference, and that's with a debloated/vanilla rom.