[Rumor] Google May Also be Developing a 10-Inch Tablet; Nexus 10 Anyone?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-nexus-10-tablet-front-content-mockup.jpeg
google-nexus-7-tablet-front-content.jpeg

There is some new "rumint" floating down from the ether of the internet that Google may be looking at making a 10-Inch tablet in the future too. DigiTimes recently reported that Google is already prepping a Nexus 10 (although that name is only speculation), and that Google's channel partners, Wintek and AU Optronics, will supply the display panels. These panels will supposedly be made of the same OGS (One Glass Solution) material that is in the brand new Nexus 7 tablet. Here's a quote with some details,

Google also reportedly plans to launch a 10-inch tablet with touch panels to come from AU Optronics (AUO) and Wintek, making Wintek the largest touch panel supplier for Google, said the sources.

Wintek has been shipping OGS touch panels to a number of clients, and expects OGS to become mainstream in 2013, said company chairman Hyley Huang, estimating that 26.5 million notebooks are expected to adopt touch panels in 2013.

Although, these are the same manufacturers that are making the display for the brand new Nexus 7 tablet, just about anything quoted from DigiTimes should be taken with a cube of salt. These reports could simply be "wishful thinking" on the part of the manufacturers. In fact, comments from Patrick Brady, Director of Android Partner Engineering for Google, suggest that Google has no plans to move in that direction. Brady said, "We thought a lot about how we'd design the software and hardware to fit a number of use cases. For instance, I think 10-inch tablets are too big for gaming and reading books. We wanted it to be portable. And we wanted it to be great for reading books and magazines as well as playing games and watching movies."

Of course, if the Nexus 7 is a huge hit, as many market analysts are predicting, then Google may shift gears and try to compete more directly against the iPad. If they can get enough brand-trust built up, they may be able to start eroding Apple's strangle-hold on the tablet market. After-all, consumers can be fickle.

Thanks for the tip, nikecar and cereal killer!

Source: NexusTablets.net via CNet

TayDee

Reaction score
This is a cheap rumor to me. With Google releasing their first tablet, 10 inches basically the standard and popular size for tablets, of course its easy to say that Google is working on one.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
this is what i want .

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a cheap rumor to me. With Google releasing their first tablet, 10 inches basically the standard and popular size for tablets, of course its easy to say that Google is working on one.

I tend to agree. Plus, DigiTimes is known for turning their speculation into "news." Still, it could end up being a lucky (and easy) prediction of the future, and would be cool if turned out to be true.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
10" is too big for a tablet? I use my wifi Xoom A LOT!
I have no interest in a 7 inch tablet, sorry. i'm also not a "gamer", so maybe that plays a part in my not wanting a 7".

There should be a poll to find out:

If you own a 10" tablet are you happy with the size?
If you own a 7" tablet are you happy with the size?
If you don't own a tablet what size are you interested in buying?

They really shouldn't dictate what size tablets people should use.
This is pure speculation so i really shouldn't care at this point. Also, if JB rocks on the Xoom I may not be in the market for a new tablet anyway.

Last edited:

ambrown

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not as excited about 10 inch tablets anymore. They're just unwieldy. 7 inches is the perfect form factor for most of what the tablet is used for. The Kindle Fire struck a chord originally because they hit all the right points of price, size, and value. The Nexus 7 takes that a step further by bring more beefed up and offering a full Android experience.

But to go head to head with the iPad would require better tablet versions of many popular apps. And they'd have to deliver it in a package similar to the iPad while beating it pricewise. I don't see that happening in the near future. Besides what I want most is an affordable sub $300 tablet, and the Nexus 7 delivers that perfectly. (except I wish it had an expandable memory slot, its it really that hard to add one in? Other than that I have no other gripes)

Natey2

Reaction score
Bigger screen = greater battery drain.
Hope it has a larger battery to compensate.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

nickb34

Reaction score
I'm still holding out to see what Win8 is going to do to this market segment.