[Rumor] Google & Asus Launching Nexus 7 Refresh in May with Full HD Display

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus7-back.jpg

We have some interesting Nexus intel for you today. The source is the notoriously hit-or-miss DigiTimes, but seems viable and worth sharing. Supposedly, Google and Asus are partnering up again to offer an enhanced new version of the Google Nexus 7. If the rumor is accurate, this new Nexus 7 will launch in May and include a full HD (1920x1080p) display, and a thinner bezel. Additionally, since this is likely to be a model refresh, pricing will likely stay the same as current retail. The source of this info also shares some Google sell-through stats and predictions for the Nexus 7. Here's a quote with more detail,

Google is set to announce its second-generation Nexus 7 tablet in May with the cooperation of Asustek Computer. The combined shipments of the company's first- and second-generation Nexus 7s are expected to reach 10 million units in 2013, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

Total Google Nexus 7 shipments will surpass six million units by the end of January with the US $249 model being the best selling model, the sources noted.

It's exciting news to see Google continue to improve the Nexus 7, and these particular improvements are a wise bet on their part. Most consumers will never notice a difference if you add a faster processor or more ram, but nearly everyone will be able to tell a difference with a better display. This is a smart marketing move, and should give the Nexus 7 a little extra shelf life.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via DigiTimes

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If the hardware gets a decent update along with the screen, I may consider selling (or giving to my kids) my current N7. But I really want a Super AMOLED screen. My S3's colors are so gorgeous compared to my N7.

TayDee

Reaction score
I'm still satisfied with my 16gb current N7 so I'll pass.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Wish they would fix YouTube, buffering sucks.

aliens don't use razr's, they use obsidian.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If they throw in 2GB of RAM along with the HD Display, I will be in for one for sure. I will keep the one I have now as a backup.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Potato chip grease proof screen would be sweet.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My N7 far exceeds my expectations now and will continue do so. No need to update to a nicer display for me, this is perfect for what I use it for.

Definitely happy to see Google wanting to improve an already popular device though.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
They still get greasy finger prints on them.

A built in TV remote control would be sweet. (Voice activated, no searching for it)

GAstorino

Reaction score
Upgrade Nexus

I would upgrade my 32 g Nexus 7 with a new screen and more ram along with a speeded up processor and please give us a Microsd slot. This is the one thing killing it from being the best tablet ever. Can't put all my pdfs and videos on the system. Just crazy.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
A built in kick stand.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
An HDMI port so I can watch you tube on my 80 inch screen. Drunken sarcasm at its best.