[Rumor] Gingerbread for Droid2, Droid2 Global & Others Put on Hold to Fix Bugs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droidx-official-gingerbread.jpg

According to a report over at Droid-Life, the Gingerbread update for the Motorola Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, Droid X2 and Droid Pro has been put on hold. Supposedly, according to their sources, Verizon nixed the update and sent it back to Motorola for "more baking" because it had too many bugs. In fact, Verizon has rejected all Gingerbread builds from Motorola until a growing list of problems is addressed first. Further intel indicates that Motorola is scrambling to reassemble teams to get on this right away. Unfortunately it could still be weeks or months before all the issues get worked out. We will keep you apprised when we know more.

On the bright side, it's nice to know that Verizon cares about its customers, and has good quality control teams, even if Moto has gotten lax.

Source: Droid-Life

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Perhaps this is good news, we'll get a better bug-free upgrade?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Verizon needs to release their grip on our phones and unlock bootloaders so we can put our own ROMs on. The community makes better ROMs than what they put out and should allow us to do so. Moto seems to not care much for making good software after all.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Verizon needs to release their grip on our phones and unlock bootloaders so we can put our own ROMs on. The community makes better ROMs than what they put out and should allow us to do so. Moto seems to not care much for making good software after all.

...our own ROMs on our phones without jumping through hoops and possible bricking our phones is what I should have said. I obviously have a custom ROM on my phone already, but not because Verizon wants us to be able to.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Ill be very interested to see how this story actually ends up.

Ranger D10

Reaction score
The real question is where are the bugs coming from? AOSP or Blur? IMO Motorola should stick to hardware and stop pretending to be a software company. Motorola stated that Gingerbread would not work on the OG Droid, but the community of developers have proven that wrong.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
The issue goes way beyond just unlocking bootloaders to get custom roms to work. Yes GB custom does work to some extent on devices, but in the case of the D1, there are drivers missing that make the camera less than 100%. Similar issues with bluetooth and/or wifi and/or sd card mounting, depending upon your rom flavor.

Historically to get everything working 100% on custom roms, the dev's actually almost have to wait until an official release or something very close is obtained, and released into the wild. As much as the folks all like to say that this or that rom is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and works 100%, in all reality most do not work 100% for all features. Or do not until more is released from the source.

So yes, it is about boot loaders, but there is a bit more to it. The hardware requirements for each phone certainly make it so that more source code needs to be released, somewhere, somehow.

Craig

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I would seriously bet its because Motorola has attempted to keep its version of Blur on there. Stick to stock Android and I bet there are less bugs.

volando

Reaction score
Motorola was almost dead right before the Droid1 hit, got a slight boost from the initial Android push (helped a lot that Droid1 was the first actually good mass-appeal Android device) and apparently are now back to their ways of sucking and failing... oh well, sad to see Apple remain the only american hardware company to still be a big player, but such is the way of progress :-\

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Well, Motorola, you can say goodbye to me buying your stuff again. I'm switching to HTC or Samsung, anything but Moto.

THey all have their crap UI over vanilla along with all the other stuff they do to it. My wife just got a Thunderbolt last week and it is still on Froyo. They are all the same. It took a custom rom for it to even run at a reasonable speed. My DX with CM7 on it runs a CRAP TON faster than her phone does. Frankly, I'm surprised people of the community haven't been hired to do the software for their phones.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
More like an excuse to eol our phones after this update...call me paranoid but it really seems like a way to simply have an excuse to drop official support on our devices later. And yes, blur sucks.

Sent from my DROID2GLOBAL using DroidForums-on CM4D2G.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Motorola was almost dead right before the Droid1 hit, got a slight boost from the initial Android push (helped a lot that Droid1 was the first actually good mass-appeal Android device) and apparently are now back to their ways of sucking and failing... oh well, sad to see Apple remain the only american hardware company to still be a big player, but such is the way of progress :-\

Damn! I was hoping that you wouldn't make that argument.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Damn! I was hoping that you wouldn't make that argument.

What argument? It was just a mini-rant, mostly because I'm upset that the D3 for which I was waiting so long ended up sucking...

Uh, Monty Python quote, sorry.

I know how you feel.

It's like they get together and see how great a phone they can make and then start subtracting features until is almost completely but not quite makes an unsatisfactory experience.

I've actually been in meetings like this, it just makes you want to cry.