[Rumor] Droid Bionic Delayed to September at Sam's Club; Twitter Still Suggests Aug 4

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsclub-bionic.jpg

We have some juicy bits of info regarding the hotly anticipated release of the Droid Bionic. The first is a rumor from a photo of a "Sam's Club" database pic. This pic, posted above, shows pushed back dates for several new smartphones, and one of them is the Droid Bionic. Here's the breakdown of the info on the pic:
  • Motorola Droid Bionic. "Pushed to September."
  • LG Thrill. "Late July."
  • HTC Status. "Late July."
  • Samsung Conquer. "Pushed to late August."
  • Motorola Photon 4G. "Pushed to late July."
Now, obviously this is not happy news, however, there is also a Twitter account that appears to be a "Droid Landing" style advertising gimmick. Amongst the multitude of tweets from this account, one of them states,
T-Minus 1,166,400
This particular Tweet happened on the 22nd of July. If you extrapolate that out in seconds/minutes/hours/days, that puts the Bionic landing squarely on August 4th. Unfortunately, there is nothing to confirm that the Twitter account is actually legitimate or not. It could very well be a fake from an overzealous fan. (In fact, it is very likely that it is a fake because one of the Tweets, on July 18th states, "don't worry I will be along soon to save you...but you may not like my bootloader...". It is unlikely that Motorola would say that about their own product.)

It's also entirely possible that both could still be true. We have seen big launches before that started out at Verizon and then went to other retailers later. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. We'll keep you informed if we find out anything more concrete.

Source: TalkAndroid; AndroidCentral; MDB228 Twitter

Last edited:

Detonation

Reaction score
I don't think that Twitter account is anything official. Its the same "person" who wrote that huge Bionic Forum Post, and one of its tweets is "@p3droid don't worry I will be along soon to save you...but you may not like my bootloader..." I doubt Moto or Verizon would say anything about the bootloader if this is supposed to be a marketing thing, especially if its locked.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think that Twitter account is anything official. Its the same "person" who wrote that huge Bionic Forum Post, and one of its tweets is "@p3droid don't worry I will be along soon to save you...but you may not like my bootloader..." I doubt Moto or Verizon would say anything about the bootloader if this is supposed to be a marketing thing, especially if its locked.

Yep... I saw that part too, and deduced the same thing, but thought it worth reporting anyway. I am updating the story to reflect that.

donzz

Reaction score
I'm thinking September as well. Seems to me there would be all kinds of advertising going on right now if Aug. 4
th
was the date and there hasn't been anything. You would think there would be a full blown media blitz about the Droid Bionic at least two weeks before it's arrival.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The site sites Costco as the source...

It's not more accurate than anything else we've seen.

I hope it's not September... my OG Droid might not make it that long...

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The site sites Costco as the source...

It's not more accurate than anything else we've seen.

I hope it's not September... my OG Droid might not make it that long...

Actually the source site corrects itself. After first citing Costco, it later changes it to Sam's Club.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Sam's Club doesn't always get phones right when they launch, especially phones that are considered major releases. The fact that they don't expect until September doesn't say anything about the Verizon release date. Verizon would very likely want to have as much stock as possible from the outset for themselves.

anuraj1

Reaction score
That screen shot has been bumming me out since yesterday.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
LMAO...fail!!!...i feel bad for the guys who keep waiting on this device. and watch it will turn out to not be as good as theyre makig it seem "quoting it a SUPERPHONE"

abullock22

Reaction score
LMAO...fail!!!...i feel bad for the guys who keep waiting on this device. and watch it will turn out to not be as good as theyre makig it seem "quoting it a SUPERPHONE"

great..well that will be me then..my og droid broke a month a go,,thought i would hold out as it was originally only a few weeks to wait for the bionic drop date - now its pushed back!?,.originally i was going to get the galaxy s2 but that was pushed back too..at this rate im really not sure i can wait anymore and might have to look at a third option..driod is really making me lose the faith

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8

I hear ya. Almost 7 months since the release at CES and it still is not out. Keep waiting peoples, because when this comes out, within 2 months there will be another one on the horizon and it all begins. Find a nice comfotable chair and keep waiting. When it is finally released all of you will think it was made by the hands of zeus and realize it is all ovrblown.