Rumor: Droid 1, Droid Incredible, and Droid X to receive 2.2 update, starting on 8/6

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wuyanks, Jul 26, 2010.

1. aDroidman

aDroidman Member

this is TRUE just announced by Verizon and Motorola!!
  2. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

I may be wrong about this, Hook, but wasn't that a revised prediction on your part? I seem to recall a June prediction back in May while some of us suggested August at the time. As noted, I may be wrong about that. If so, apologies. :)
  3. Droid101

Droid101 Member

Remember ONLY the Droid 1 is confirmed there hasn't been mention from Motorola about any other phone except the Droid 1 so hold off on the factory reset.
  4. aDroidman

aDroidman Member

5. MRex21

MRex21 New Member

Still waiting.

Hopeful.
  6. titans1

titans1 New Member

dunno why you would want thier update anyway? less you like all the crap they load on your phone without your knowledge.
  7. dima1109

dima1109 New Member

Snobby-as-hell geeks with rooted phones dissing the rest of us who are actually excited about this ... GO!!!
  8. smokecombs

smokecombs New Member

Lol, Motorola just posted this on their Facebook earlier today. It does only mention the "droid", I'm hoping that entails all droids including my X. But I'm excited about it. I wasn't brave enough to mess with my phone to try the rooting stuff, $199 is a lot of money to my broke ass.
  9. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Try $599. There's a one-touch rooting program now, and the actual number of bricked phones is astronomically low. Almost every "bricked" phone you see a thread started over is merely locked in a bootloop due to a messed up download or some other problem because people got hasty or lazy. Just about every last one of them was fixed in about 20 minutes of actual work.

However, don't let someone who rooted their phone tell you to root if you don't want to. It's YOUR phone and YOUR $599 you'll have to shell out if you break it.

Enjoy FroYo when it hits your phone, folks! It's incredible.
  10. seahawk1984

seahawk1984 New Member

I have a rooted droid with sapphire, and was wondering if when 2.2 is officially released, will I get the update message on my phone? If so should I update? Should I switch back to factory default first? And if I do update will I need to go through the process of rooting the phone again? Will the same process I used to root the first time work?

Thanks.
  11. aceofclubs52

aceofclubs52 New Member

What does this mean to me? I'm running a BuglessBeast v.04 Froyo 2.2, so I thought I already had Froyo?
  12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You do. What version of Froyo are you running in BB?j Latest version is FRG01B. If the ROM has that version then that should be the same that is going out OTA.
  13. furbearingmammal

The following is for root users only.

To everyone who wonders if they should update to stock 2.2 from whatever ROM they are running --here is the question you have to ask yourself:

Am I happy with what I am running now? If the answer is yes, then why lose root access and superuser permissions? If you are not happy then either go back to stock or find another rom.

Nobody here can tell you what is going to make you happy since only you know what you want. If what you want is the latest and greatest, well, stock ain't it. Once it hits the devs will have more to play with, but stock will never have all the features of the latest versions of Cyanogenmod or Bugless Beast or Simply Stunning, just to name a few. All of these are based on the same source code Motorola is using. You already have a flavor of FroYo.
  14. aceofclubs52

aceofclubs52 New Member

This probably is a stupid question, but what exactly are the benefits of a rooted phone? I got a rooted phone, but other than setcpu idk what the advantages r. What does the superuser permission do?
  15. furbearingmammal

Overlocking, theming, access to custom ROMs such as Cyanogenmod, Bugless Beast, Simply Stunning, Kangerade, Sapphire, etc (and all of their enhancements and improvements), free USB tethering without running an application on whatever computer you're trying to get online, free ad-hoc WiFi tethering, and I'm sure there are dozens of other advantages I didn't list, including the possibility of getting Gingerbread on your phone at some point in the future -- or at least ROMs built with Gingerbread ingredients.

Oh, and the only way to get WiFi tethering on a Droid 1 at all is to root. This may change in the future, but even if it does it won't be free.

Gingerbread-flavored FroYo. Why is it I like the sound of that but feel like I just said something a little dirty? :)
  16. furbearingmammal

Superuser permissions allows apps that require root access to work. If it does more than that I don't know, but that's its main function. I think. :)
  17. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

Right. Motorola is up to the same old stuff. No one should hold their breath as they are notorious for being 2-4 months late on promised release dates.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010
  18. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

This is absolutely hilarious. Motorola had only one smartphone out when they did their first update and they did it right on schedule. The second update was delayed. This is the third update. How does that make them "notorious" for being 2-4 months behind and by the way it was never 4 months?

Every indication from both Verizon and Motorola says that this will happen beginning around 8/3 with the masses getting it probably around 8/6 or 8/7. Updates start out slow and then are released quickly as the week progresses.
  19. RemyL75

RemyL75 Member

I have to agree with hookbill on this. The Droid 1 is just over 8 months old. IF they were 2-4 months late on updates, then going by that timetable, we shouldn't even be on 2.1 yet.
    Besides, the majority of the people here that are waiting and upset that Froyo isn't here yet are those that listened to rumors. If VZW did not announce the update (which is who distributes it, not Motorola), then it's not coming. They have finally just recently put it on the VZW website that updates are coming next week. Now if they don't show next week, then you have a reason to gripe.
  20. N4UPD

N4UPD New Member

Motorola has announced froyo starts ota update this week