Rumor: Droid 1, Droid Incredible, and Droid X to receive 2.2 update, starting on 8/6

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
When it gets pushed to you. If you can't wait, do a manual install.

How do i do a manual install? Sorry,I'm not hip to this.
Go to the news thread -- http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ircus-continues-frg01b-official-get-here.html

However, despite my defending it for days now, the update is starting to smell like day-old fish. It's apparently safe, and it works quite well, but... yeah. Read the last page for details.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
When it gets pushed to you. If you can't wait, do a manual install.

How do i do a manual install? Sorry,I'm not hip to this.

Assuming you aren't rooted, get the file at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/66044-official-froyo-rollout-thread.html
or http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ircus-continues-frg01b-official-get-here.html

The first is what you would get OTA with only patches, the second is a clean install. This would be like upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7. You can either install just the things to change Vista to 7, or buy a Windows 7 installation disk and start from scratch. In this case of 2.2, both will work.

1. Make sure the name of the file is changed to update.zip
2. Place file on the root of your sdcard (not in any folder).
3. Turn your phone off.
4. Boot into recovery (Hold Power + X).
5. Wait for a triangle with exclamation point to appear and release Power and X.
6. Hit the volume up and camera button (half-way down) at the same time.
7. Using the D-Pad select “apply update.zip” and press in the gold button on the D-Pad.
8. Your phone will now run the update.
9. When it finishes, use th D-Pad to select reboot phone.10. Your phone will reboot with Android 2.2.

See also Manual Android 2.2 Update for Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Thank you for the info.

What happens when they push the 2.2 update, after doing the manual update? Does the phone stay the same?
Unless whatever gets pushed out is a different build/version, yes. If you want FroYo now and don't want to root this is kind if it for now.

ohfire

Reaction score
Ok, so I was rooted for several months and I began having stability issues with the phone last week. I started losing icons and my contact list began disappearing and I would have to reload everything so I went back to unrooted 2.1. I am amazed how much longer my battery lasts! BUT, I like FROYO very much so I am considereing re-rooting. I have been reading and reading and I am totally confused on which roooted leak is the actual build that is being pushed...well is expected to be pushed by Verizon

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Ok, so I was rooted for several months and I began having stability issues with the phone last week. I started losing icons and my contact list began disappearing and I would have to reload everything so I went back to unrooted 2.1. I am amazed how much longer my battery lasts! BUT, I like FROYO very much so I am considereing re-rooting. I have been reading and reading and I am totally confused on which roooted leak is the actual build that is being pushed...well is expected to be pushed by Verizon
The official OTA that started to go out was FRG01B. FRG22 was a later leak that had its own issues. If you want what's supposed to be stock, you'll want to install either a rooted or unrooted FRG01B ROM. Some people have claimed better everything with FRG22, others say FRG01B runs smoother. YMMV.

Or, if you're going to root again, you could try one of the source-built ROMs like Simply Stunning or CyanogenMOD, to get some extra flavor in your FroYo. :)

ohfire

Reaction score
The official OTA that started to go out was FRG01B. FRG22 was a later leak that had its own issues. If you want what's supposed to be stock, you'll want to install either a rooted or unrooted FRG01B ROM. Some people have claimed better everything with FRG22, others say FRG01B runs smoother. YMMV.

Or, if you're going to root again, you could try one of the source-built ROMs like Simply Stunning or CyanogenMOD, to get some extra flavor in your FroYo. :)

The FRG22 is what set my phone over the edge. It did not run on it at all. i was getting terrible battery time and I was losing everything. I played with several of the custom roms and liked parts of all of them, just thought if I went clear back to the beginning, formatted my card and started over for a bit, I would have better luck when I re-rooted. Just trying to figure the best build. Thanks for the quick response.

colorfulRhyme

Reaction score
I was going to root... and then someone from Verizon told me it would void my warranty if I did.
Unfortunately, I do not pay for this phone, as it would cost me $120 a month, and my parents are wonderful enough to cover me until I finish college. So this is a no-no. I'm just gonna be patient.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I was going to root... and then someone from Verizon told me it would void my warranty if I did.
Unfortunately, I do not pay for this phone, as it would cost me $120 a month, and my parents are wonderful enough to cover me until I finish college. So this is a no-no. I'm just gonna be patient.
Good reason not to.

mrgagentleman

Reaction score

Exactly. Rooting my phone isn't worth messing w/ my warrenty...never know what could happen w/ this thing.

colorfulRhyme

Reaction score
Good reason not to.

I'm just at that point that I'm irritated by how this has been carried out. I only know about Froyo because I check up on my devices often and read a LOT of news, while my mother has absolutely no clue (she also owns the Droid). I have to relay info to her, which is tough when you have so many conflicting stories.

I've heard:

1. Froyo is cancelled for Droid.
2. Froyo install is going on right now from 8/3 to 8/13.
3. Froyo is suspended due to issues.
4. Froyo is not coming out until September.

I just saw an e-mail some one received saying to contact Verizon after 8/13 if they have not recieved Froyo. They will be getting a call from me, no matter what. And I will call multiple times if I have to, to see if they're throwing out different stories.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Good reason not to.

I'm just at that point that I'm irritated by how this has been carried out. I only know about Froyo because I check up on my devices often and read a LOT of news, while my mother has absolutely no clue (she also owns the Droid). I have to relay info to her, which is tough when you have so many conflicting stories.

I've heard:

I just saw an e-mail some one received saying to contact Verizon after 8/13 if they have not recieved Froyo. They will be getting a call from me, no matter what. And I will call multiple times if I have to, to see if they're throwing out different stories.
As of right now all we know is:
1. Nobody has reported receiving an OTA in days.
2. One person has reported receiving a new version of the OTA and has posted it for people to download. This has been vetted by Peter Alphonso of Bugless Beast fame.
3. Verizon Wireless reps are a bunch of tools.

Whether tool-dom is intentional or a result of Verizon using them as such is up for debate, but the fact remains nobody has received an update and reported it in several days except one man.

That update is available for download, does a good job, and is signed so it works with the stock recovery image, so not only is it apparently trustworthy and approved by one of the best Devs in the community, it works for stock phones.

September is the release date for the Droid X FroYo update. Early builds had MAJOR performance issues and it appears porting MotoBlur to FroYo is more troublesome than previously believed.

colorfulRhyme

Reaction score
Good reason not to.

I've heard:

As of right now all we know is:
1. Nobody has reported receiving an OTA in days.
2. One person has reported receiving a new version of the OTA and has posted it for people to download. This has been vetted by Peter Alphonso of Bugless Beast fame.
3. Verizon Wireless reps are a bunch of tools.

Whether tool-dom is intentional or a result of Verizon using them as such is up for debate, but the fact remains nobody has received an update and reported it in several days except one man.

That update is available for download, does a good job, and is signed so it works with the stock recovery image, so not only is it apparently trustworthy and approved by one of the best Devs in the community, it works for stock phones.

September is the release date for the Droid X FroYo update. Early builds had MAJOR performance issues and it appears porting MotoBlur to FroYo is more troublesome than previously believed.

as i said before, rooting isn't an option, which seems to stick me in a rather poor spot.

i have seen a non-rooted Droid running on Froyo however. I ran into a customer at the local grocery store i work at, and he was running Froyo on his phone, and as i said before, he did not root it, he recieved it from Verizon.

i'm keeping hope that i'll have it before i leave for college again at the beginning of september, and the 13th i will be calling and asking many questions.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
There is at least one place you can get a signed update to a FroYo build, namely FRG01B. It was the official OTA update, so it's fine and specifically for stock people since it breaks root upon install.

Peter Alfonso

In particular look at the bottom of the page. FRG01B from ESE81 is the one you probably want to try since it was the one pushed out by Verizon.