Rumor: Droid 1, Droid Incredible, and Droid X to receive 2.2 update, starting on 8/6

davek7dv

Reaction score
Here is the latest from the verizon web site whatever it means take it for what its worth. It was posted today on VZW Web Site.:
Sell It In 5 - Android 2.2

August 5, 2010Comments (95)
DROID-2dot2-200.jpg
There’s more to love about Android 2.2 than its tasty nickname – Froyo.
Here are 5 features of Android 2.2 our original DROID customers can start to enjoy as early as this week. Similar to past OS updates, the Android 2.2 update will be pushed throughout the week, with the first 10,000 DROID devices expected to receive the push beginning sometime Tues., Aug. 3.
(DROID 2 launches with 2.2 soon, and the DROID X is scheduled to receive the update late this summer.)
Number1_075.jpg

2.2 makes DROID better in a Flash – Flash 10.1 that is!
Android 2.2 includes support for Adobe Flash Player (available 8/18/10) :
  • This means improved Web browsing.
  • It means access to videos, games, interactive media and Web applications.
  • It means the ability to watch movies and TV clips, get sports updates, see replays, share videos, and watch them within your Web browser.
  • And, we’re not just talking a few websites here: 85% of the top 100 websites utilize Flash!
[Of course, not all Flash-enabled sites and services may be accessible on mobile devices. Example: Hulu does not allow mobile viewing of its content at this time.]
NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 10.1 is expected to be available in Android Market beginning August 18, 2010 and will require an additional download on original DROID by Motorola devices with Android 2.2 software.

droidmikes

Reaction score
Take it for what it's worth but I just got off the phone with VZW tech support and they stated that the new 2.2 upgrade will be starting 8/18. I asked why the delay and he had no answer.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Take it for what it's worth but I just got off the phone with VZW tech support and they stated that the new 2.2 upgrade will be starting 8/18. I asked why the delay and he had no answer.

Because he doesn't know that he's wrong and the X isn't going to get FROYO until September. It was pushed back due to some problems in testing.

Edit: I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about the X. If you're talking about The Incredible that would be sooner. Droid 1 should be very soon, not the 18th.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Am I reading from you that the OTA 2.2 will block tethering??
Depends on what you mean by block. USB tethering will be pay-to-play if you're doing it officially. Using an app from the market should still work. WiFi tethering isn't supported officially and probably never will be. Rooting is the only way to get it on the Droid1 at present and this may never change.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If I do not choose to root my phone, will I receive the 2.2update automatically?
When it gets pushed to you. If you can't wait, do a manual install.

Can you do a manual install now on an Incredible without root? If so, where and how? Thanks
No. The Incredible's update is (supposedly) almost ready, but it hasn't been pushed out yet. There are some leaked builds, IIRC, but the performance wasn't that great yet, and you had to have rooted (I think. I don't own an Incredible so I don't pay that much attention to it, sorry :)) to install it.