Rumor: Droid 1, Droid Incredible, and Droid X to receive 2.2 update, starting on 8/6

rgregl

Reaction score
2.2 here now and on Droid Life

Downloaded and running!!!

rgregl

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well looks like the crystal balls were wrong again. Still no Froyo update for the Droid
Not all phones get updated at the same time (no network can handle that). A certain number of phones get the update pushed to them, then some more do, then some more.

The first few days are generally a lower number, as they want to make sure that there isn't a catostrophic bug in the update (so they only have to replace a few hundred phones instead of a couple hundred thousand phones).

The update is coming. It is coming very soon.

True. When the first update came out in December, I got it on Thursday. The last update I got on Wednesday. They only do about 250,000 a day.

When the first update came out, there was a map on Google where you could stick a pin with the time and date. No rhyme or reason at all. In fact there were cases of a family with two Droids and only one getting the update, not both at the same time.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Since I haven't seen the link posted in this thread yet - here is the link to the Droid Life blurb.

If you want to skip the foreplay, here is the link to download your official OTA 2.2 directly from Google.

Enjoy.

nathank

Reaction score
I can't wait for the Droid X to get it.... I still don't understand why they updated the original droid before they updated the brand new X and Incredible...
But then again, I am a little bitter, because I have my friend with a D1 and he's rubbing stock froyo in my face...

RodgerRodger

Reaction score
Freaking Amazing and Genius

attachment.php

I want a beast
I want a fast beast
Root roms and fixes and froyo with no nuts so good you could go nuts.
No, now!
I want a screen
I want an icon
Pink little toons and a million baffoons and performing dragoons and
Give it to me now.
I want the droid,
I want the whole droid.
I want to lock it all up in my pocket
It's my bowl of ice cream
Give it to me now!
I want today
I want tomorrow
I want to wear them like themese on my home and I don't want to share them
I want a card with roomfuls of storage
Ten thousand ton of froyo ice cream
And if I don't get the things I am after
I'm going to scream!
I want the works,
I want the whole works!
Widgets and downloads and tweets and facebookies in all shapes and sizes,
And now!
Don't care how I want it now!
Don't care how I want it now!

:heart:I love you.:heart:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I can't wait for the Droid X to get it.... I still don't understand why they updated the original droid before they updated the brand new X and Incredible...
But then again, I am a little bitter, because I have my friend with a D1 and he's rubbing stock froyo in my face...
Droid 1 = vanilla Android. It's one of the two "just works" phones.

Droid X = MotoBlur. It's a pain in the ass to update.

Droid 1 = on the market for months. It's been worked on and updated and people have done so much with it it's unbelieveable.

Droid x = on the market for a couple weeks. It's untested outside the lab and people haven't done much for it because of the encrypted bootloader and lack of experience with it.

As for the bitter, sorry, but if Motorola can shoehorn MotoBlur and FroYo together and get good performance quickly you'll get your update before too much longer.

Graywolfscv

Reaction score
Since I haven't seen the link posted in this thread yet - here is the link to the Droid Life blurb.

If you want to skip the foreplay, here is the link to download your official OTA 2.2 directly from Google.

Enjoy.

Just did the Manual update to FroYo from this.

I do notice a drastic speed boost from 2.1

fishstick600

Reaction score

Droid 1 = on the market for months. It's been worked on and updated and people have done so much with it it's unbelieveable.

Droid x = on the market for a couple weeks. It's untested outside the lab and people haven't done much for it because of the encrypted bootloader and lack of experience with it.

As for the bitter, sorry, but if Motorola can shoehorn MotoBlur and FroYo together and get good performance quickly you'll get your update before too much longer.

Its makes me angry that thy have to make different UI's for these devices or whatever motoblur and ninjablur or the stock android has. It appears that it just makes things hard on devs to get the updates out and running

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

Its makes me angry that thy have to make different UI's for these devices or whatever motoblur and ninjablur or the stock android has. It appears that it just makes things hard on devs to get the updates out and running

+1 I agree. What's wrong with the stock UI anyway? But everyone wants eye candy rather than depth. Take a look at the 3D movie blitz. Have any of them really been worth watching (especially in 3D), other than Avatar (which I refused to watch on general principles anyway)?

But I digress. When Gingerbread rolls out people will STILL muck about with it, and if you've seen the video of what its UI is supposed to be like, well, there's no frigging need! My two cents, anyway. :)

Sysgod

Reaction score
Ok, having a business account I have my own business rep that I deal with exclusively. I called him today and complained that my dx was freezing and randomly locking up, which its not. I then played like a dumbass and asked about any upcoming updates that could fix these issues i am having. He told me the rest of this week and all next week a new update (froyo 2.2) would be pushed to all droid 1's and after that push was complete that dx users were next.

I don't wanna wait that long but so be it. At least all the droid 1's on my account can get it, not! I'll keep them on cooked froyo builds.

paulckennedy

Reaction score
Ok, having a business account I have my own business rep that I deal with exclusively. I called him today and complained that my dx was freezing and randomly locking up, which its not. I then played like a dumbass and asked about any upcoming updates that could fix these issues i am having. He told me the rest of this week and all next week a new update (froyo 2.2) would be pushed to all droid 1's and after that push was complete that dx users were next.

I don't wanna wait that long but so be it. At least all the droid 1's on my account can get it, not! I'll keep them on cooked froyo builds.

I am glad to hear it. Nice move man.:icon_ banana:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Has anyone gotten 2.2 yet?????
Some people have, but there was an issue with the rollout according to several sources, and a leaked VZW memo shows that the update is progressing but that people who received the earlier update will be getting a patch.

So, yes, people have, but it's going slower than expected due to some issues, and some people will be getting two updates.