1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[Rumor] Android Ice Cream OS Will Merge Phone, Tablet, & GoogleTV Into One

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 4, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

A recent industry rumor indicates that Google intends to make the Android Ice Cream OS a combination of the Android phone, tablet and GoogleTV OS's. For some time, they have wanted to create a single project for all three code-bases, and the next OS, Ice Cream, will merge these together. Furthermore, the same 'intel' suggests that Google intends to officially announce this at Google IO in May. Additional industry speculation suggests this is the primary reason why Google delayed the source code release of Honeycomb. Also it is because Google wants to further reduce fragmentation and is a an initial push to make cross-platform apps easier to create for GoogleTV developers in the future.

Source: Android.net via SlashGear
  2. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

This is something I could get behind. I think this would be a huge selling point for Google.
  3. shadowpunx

shadowpunx New Member

Sounds pretty damn cool
  4. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Seems logical to me. I certainly hope that this doesn't mean one OS installation for all 3 types of devices, though. If you think Verizon's bloatware is bad enough, just think about the gigs of data used up by unused Icrecream apps for other devices.
  5. LocoRon

LocoRon New Member

Hm... Phone, tablet, TV, but no netbook (aka ChromeOS)?
  6. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

ChromeOS is an entirely different OS. It would not make sense to bundle it with Android OS's.
  7. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member